Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the coolie hat fits...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hanoi Hawkeye....yes, it fits.

All American

All the time
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

3. My band was on SRF (selective reserve force) slated for active duty either in Vietnam or Germany. Fortunately, Nixon decided the war was won and my band was pulled from SRF.

4. You obviously have never served a day in a military hospital with war wounded trying to raise their spirits when they think they have nothing to live for nor with their families and young wives. Try it and then tell me it doesn't tear you up in side.

5. The Vietnam War was very real stateside and the Fifth Column was also very real. But based on your age you weren't there so what could you know of it.

3)woo hoo....so you almost maybe might possibly have been deployed to Germany or Vietnam...but you weren't. that must have been skeery.

4) the fact that those military hospitals were full of people with real war wounds makes your whining about your psychological trauma and fear of food poisoning that much more pathetic. reminds me of the claims that the Fort Hood shooter had PTSD....from talking to people who had been in combat.

5) please cite to any news story where a fifth columnist attacked and injured an American national guardsman or reservist on US soil during the Vietnam war....via food poisoning or any other method. Airport spitting doesn't count.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sure the Rosenbergs would have loved you on their jury...
Weren't they spies? Putting being a journalist on equal footing with being a spy reminds one of the old Soviet Union.

so you think the Rosenbergs handing the stolen atom bomb plans to a reporter as well as their Russian handler would make them any less guilty?
You must distinguish between the spies themselves (who are subject to appropriate penalties) and the free press (which is not so subject, because free). The only penalty the free press should be subject to is for defamation in a civil court, and that only if they're knowingly (or recklessly) publishing false information.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hawkeye, if something is obtained illegally, it doesn't give the press free reign to publish it. That has nothing to do with censureship.

If I plagiarize a story and sell it to the NYTimes, can they print it if they have notice that it has been plagiarized? No, the owner of the intellectual property retains rights no matter how many hands it passes through. Same with classified information.

There is a distinct difference between the Press's right to publish information ABOUT the government that they, the press, have collected legally, and the press obtaining stolen/illegally obtained property and printing it.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
those who publish what Wikileaks put up on the web may be unpatriotic or stupid, but they are not committing a crime....don't think anybody suggests they have. Wikileaks conspired with a soldier to commit espionage, that's not journalism, it's....espionage.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Hawkeye, if something is obtained illegally, it doesn't give the press free reign to publish it. That has nothing to do with censureship.

If I plagiarize a story and sell it to the NYTimes, can they print it if they have notice that it has been plagiarized? No, the owner of the intellectual property retains rights no matter how many hands it passes through. Same with classified information.

There is a distinct difference between the Press's right to publish information ABOUT the government that they, the press, have collected legally, and the press obtaining stolen/illegally obtained property and printing it.
I disagree as to government classified info. Making the publication of that a crime essentially nullifies the idea of a free press, since government can make virtually anything it chooses classified.

You are correct regarding intellectual property. Same with rape, burglary, etc., none of which is excused by a press ID.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
those who publish what Wikileaks put up on the web may be unpatriotic or stupid, but they are not committing a crime....don't think anybody suggests they have. Wikileaks conspired with a soldier to commit espionage, that's not journalism, it's....espionage.
If that's proven, then you have a point.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

5) please cite to any news story where a fifth columnist attacked and injured an American national guardsman or reservist on US soil during the Vietnam war....via food poisoning or any other method. Airport spitting doesn't count.

But a high velocity luggies has a lot of force for a musician to withstand must have been traumatic for him

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't recall any threats to troops stateside during Vietnam.....beyond the name calling from the looney left.

Of course, we didn't have the enemy among us like we do today with Muslims.

All American

All the time
IC B3

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

You're missing a conflict of interest here: it's the government that makes the laws regarding what's legal and illegal to collect.

A non-corrupt government will have nothing to hide, so that it doesn't matter what the press publishes. (Theoretically, of course: there has never been any such thing as a non-corrupt government in real life.)

A corrupt government will make it illegal to publish anything that exposes its corruption; therefore, the information that's illegal to collect will be the information that's most useful for its subjects to know.

Therefore, any press that publishes only information that is legal to collect is in all essential aspects indistinguishable from a Soviet- or Chinese-style government-run press, and therefore essentially useless.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you and DD PM much?

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak

You're missing a conflict of interest here: it's the government that makes the laws regarding what's legal and illegal to collect.

A non-corrupt government will have nothing to hide, so that it doesn't matter what the press publishes. (Theoretically, of course: there has never been any such thing as a non-corrupt government in real life.)

A corrupt government will make it illegal to publish anything that exposes its corruption; therefore, the information that's illegal to collect will be the information that's most useful for its subjects to know.

Therefore, any press that publishes only information that is legal to collect is in all essential aspects indistinguishable from a Soviet- or Chinese-style government-run press, and therefore essentially useless.
Exactly. Well said.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

you ladies miss the fact that there is no classification system for domestic information in the US......diplomatic and military secrets have been classified always and everywhere as long as there have been diplomats and soldiers. it's like listening to children talk about grownup stuff....painful to read.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

you ladies miss the fact that there is no classification system for domestic information in the US......diplomatic and military secrets have been classified always and everywhere as long as there have been diplomats and soldiers. it's like listening to children talk about grownup stuff....painful to read.
Your problem, Steve, is that you abandoned your ideals (and principles) when you entered adulthood. Not all men do that. Some of us just hone them to a finer edge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there's a reason children aren't in charge of important things.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

you ladies miss the fact that there is no classification system for domestic information in the US......diplomatic and military secrets have been classified always and everywhere as long as there have been diplomats and soldiers.

...because all governments have always been corrupt and had much to hide from their subjects, lest citifuls of lampposts be festooned with dangling politicians.

Citifuls: I like that. I think I'll keep it.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

you ladies miss the fact that there is no classification system for domestic information in the US......diplomatic and military secrets have been classified always and everywhere as long as there have been diplomats and soldiers.

...because all governments have always been corrupt and had much to hide from their subjects, lest citifuls of lampposts be festooned with dangling politicians.

Citifuls: I like that. I think I'll keep it.
Is that your word for cities full? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that must be Barakistani.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Barak and that nut job wife of his need to be in the same place as the dirt bags they visit!

Who knows when it happened but the poor guys elevator does not go to the top floor.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.