Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Have ever purchased more than one autoloader at a time?
If your answer is yes then I suggest you take a look at what the ATF wants to do...
This is from JG Gun Sales.

Dear J&G Customer,
This is a special notice to warn you of impending new gun regulation. The ATF has proposed to require gun dealers to provide directly to the ATF the names, addresses, and serial numbers for every purchase of two or more semi auto, mag fed rifles within a five day period!! They are trying to force this in by January 5th, without any approval from Congress, calling it a needed "emergency" regulation. This is backdoor registration of guns and gunowners.

Here is a quote from the notice by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) regarding this burdensome and illegal move:

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days."

We are encouraging everyone to contact the relevant officials to protest this move. The office that approves regulation changes like this that bypass Congress is the Office of Information and Regulation affairs of the DOJ and they can be reached at 202-395-6466. You can call your Senator and Representative at the US Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

The NSSF offers the following points to make when calling

"Multiple sales reporting of long guns will actually make it more difficult for licensed retailers to help law enforcement as traffickers modify their illegal schemes to circumvent the reporting requirement. Traffickers will go further underground, hiring more people to buy their firearms. This will make it much harder for retailers to identify and report suspicious behavior to law enforcement."
"Long guns are rarely used in crime (Bureau of Justice Statistics)."
"Imposing multiple sales-reporting requirements for long guns would further add to the already extensive paperwork and record-keeping requirements burdening America�s retailers � where a single mistake could cost them their license and even land them in jail."
"Last year, ATF inspected 2,000 retailers in border states and only two licenses were revoked (0.1%). These revocations were for reasons unknown and could have had nothing to do with illicit trafficking of guns; furthermore, no dealers were charged with any criminal wrongdoing."
"According to ATF, the average age of a firearm recovered in the United States is 11 years old. In Mexico it�s more than 14 years old. This demonstrates that criminals are not using new guns bought from retailers in the states."
"Congress, when it enacted multiple sales reporting for handguns, could have required multiple sales of long guns � it specifically chose not to."
Read the full notice by the NSSF here:
http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-requi...for-long-guns/

Read the full ATF document proposing this illegal move here: (PDF)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...uments/atf.pdf

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some supplementary,....this was sent my way by J&G Sales, Prescott, Az.

Dear J&G Customer,
This is a special notice to warn you of impending new gun regulation. The ATF has proposed to require gun dealers to provide directly to the ATF the names, addresses, and serial numbers for every purchase of two or more semi auto, mag fed rifles within a five day period!! They are trying to force this in by January 5th, without any approval from Congress, calling it a needed "emergency" regulation. This is backdoor registration of guns and gunowners.

Here is a quote from the notice by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) regarding this burdensome and illegal move:

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days."

We are encouraging everyone to contact the relevant officials to protest this move. The office that approves regulation changes like this that bypass Congress is the Office of Information and Regulation affairs of the DOJ and they can be reached at 202-395-6466. You can call your Senator and Representative at the US Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

"Multiple sales reporting of long guns will actually make it more difficult for licensed retailers to help law enforcement as traffickers modify their illegal schemes to circumvent the reporting requirement. Traffickers will go further underground, hiring more people to buy their firearms. This will make it much harder for retailers to identify and report suspicious behavior to law enforcement."
"Imposing multiple sales-reporting requirements for long guns would further add to the already extensive paperwork and record-keeping requirements burdening America�s retailers � where a single mistake could cost them their license and even land them in jail."
"Last year, ATF inspected 2,000 retailers in border states and only two licenses were revoked (0.1%). These revocations were for reasons unknown and could have had nothing to do with illicit trafficking of guns; furthermore, no dealers were charged with any criminal wrongdoing."
"According to ATF, the average age of a firearm recovered in the United States is 11 years old. In Mexico it�s more than 14 years old. This demonstrates that criminals are not using new guns bought from retailers in the states."
"Congress, when it enacted multiple sales reporting for handguns, could have required multiple sales of long guns � it specifically chose not to."

Link: http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/atf.pdf

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
more junk we have got to stop an now

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Some supplementary,....this was sent my way by J&G Sales, Prescott, Az.

Dear J&G Customer,

Link: http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/atf.pdf

Let's all give a big Thank You to Jeff'O and the fellow communists on this board...you know who you are....you will scream and shout that this is not what you meant....but...but...but...phugging traders....anti Americans...pathetic losers...all of you...even BCBrian...to throw a Canuck under the bus

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This has been going on with handguns for as long as I can remember. No big deal, unless you're doing something wrong. More of a pain in the butt for dealers. Just remember the sixty minutes show on the record keeping of the BATF. Big warehouses full of recordbooks in no particular order. Try finding anything in that mess.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by spencer516
This has been going on with handguns for as long as I can remember. No big deal, unless you're doing something wrong. More of a pain in the butt for dealers. Just remember the sixty minutes show on the record keeping of the BATF. Big warehouses full of recordbooks in no particular order. Try finding anything in that mess.

What are you sayin????

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you also have to remember that i think it is in 1/2012 any materials transaction with a value of over 600 dollars has to be reported in a 1099 to the government.
This would also include gun/ammunition transactions.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So my college buddy that bought 8 AR lowers at once would be on the list? laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
you also have to remember that i think it is in 1/2012 any materials transaction with a value of over 600 dollars has to be reported in a 1099 to the government.
This would also include gun/ammunition transactions.

watch me as I report jack chit....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Missed yours, I just got it from one of my gunshops.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Cheesy
So my college buddy that bought 8 AR lowers at once would be on the list? laugh

I have been watched for over 5 years now no big deal just keep your nose clean.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't remember the specifics now, but back when I was running the gun store there was a special form for reporting multiple sales...it was really tough to keep track of as a guy could come in and buy guns from different sales people and no one would put it all together. It's not new and no more onerous than it was 10 years ago.

I thought it was more than two sales, so maybe they have lowered the threshold to report.

Last edited by 257wby; 12/17/10.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 257wby
I don't remember the specifics now, but back when I was running the gun store there was a special form for reporting multiple sales...it was really tough to keep track of as a guy could come in and buy guns from different sales people and no one would put it all together. It's not new and no more onerous than it was 10 years ago.

I thought it was more than two sales, so maybe they have lowered the threshold to report.

well....it only woulda gone down...just sayin...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
yup, if they were to do that after 1/5/2011 the ATF red flags will go off...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So if you have twin boys and buy each a 10/22 you fall under extra scrutiny...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever heard of the Electoral College?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yet Again, Media Exaggerates Scale of Gun Smuggling from U.S. Into Mexico
Posted December 13th, 2010 at 4:00pm in American Leadership 39 Print This Post

The Washington Post today ran a lengthy front-page story headlined �As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border.� The title pretty much sums it up: the Post states that an �unprecedented number of American guns [are flowing] to the murderous drug cartels across the border� and that this is fueling the violent battle between drug runners and the Mexican government.

Of course, one reason that battle has turned violent is because the Mexican government of Felipe Calderon is trying, for the first time, to crack down on the gangs, who � not surprisingly � are fighting back. The writ of the Mexican state has never run throughout Mexico, and it has often been undermined by corruption. The U.S. has much to gain from Calderon�s efforts, and it is in no way a criticism of Calderon to point out that violence in Mexico is driven by Mexican causes, and must find a Mexican solution.

Similarly, to the extent that there is gun running across the border from the U.S. into Mexico � and it certainly does exist � this, like the illegal immigrants that cross the other way, is a testimony to the fact that neither the U.S. nor Mexico controls the border. It would be a wonderful thing if U.S. newspapers, and politicians, campaigned as vigorously for border control as they do for gun control.

Sadly, the Post ignores the Mexican context, and sticks to the tried and true role of blaming the United States for Mexico�s problems. It breathlessly reports that twelve U.S. gun dealers �have had double-digit traces of �crime guns� to their stores from Mexico.� That does not get us very far: ten is a �double-digit� number of traces. The Post singles out one gun dealer who, it claims, has had �more than 115 guns from his stores� seized in the past two years in Mexico. That is about one gun seized every week in all of Mexico.

To back up its assertion that the U.S. is the source of most of Mexico�s guns (�statistics . . . show that 80 to 90 percent of the weapons seized in Mexico are first sold in the United States�), the Post cites the claim that �Federal authorities say that more than 60,000 U.S. guns of all types have been recovered in Mexico in the past four years.� This is a wild exaggeration. The Post is referring to an oft-cited U.S. Government Accountability Office study which shows that, of the guns seized in Mexico and given to the ATF for tracing from 2004 through 2008, approximately 87 percent originated in the U.S.

But this number says nothing about the percentage of guns seized in Mexico that originated in the U.S., because the U.S. does not trace � because they are not of U.S. origin, and so are not submitted by Mexican authorities to the U.S. for tracing � the majority of guns seized in Mexico. According to the GAO, the number of guns seized in Mexico that have been traced back to the U.S. has ranged from 5,260 in 2005 to 1,950 in 2006 to 3,060 in 2007 to 6,700 in 2008. That is a total of about 17,000, nowhere close to 60,000.

There really should not be any dispute about this. It is not an argument about policy. It is about nothing more, or less, than who can look up a number in a government publication more accurately. To its credit, the Post does give the National Rifle Association space for rebuttal, but it leaves the impression that �the gun lobby� is simply trying to defend a long-discredited position. The reality is that, if 60,000 guns � or 75,000, as President Calderon said in May � have been seized in Mexico in recent years, less than a third have been traced back to the U.S.

Amazingly, the Post even acknowledges that �most guns seized in Mexico [are] not traced.� If that is so, then it is obviously impossible to know what proportion of guns came from the United States. As Jess T. Ford, the GAO�s Director of International Affairs and Trade, put it when he testified before the House in 2009, �is impossible to know how many firearms are illegally trafficked into Mexico in a given year.� By acknowledging the limited scope of Mexican tracing, the Post destroys the creditability of its claim that the vast majority of guns seized in Mexico come from the U.S.

The Post, at least, spares its readers another round of praise for CIFTA, the Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, and Other Related Materials. That is a relief, because CIFTA is a bad treaty for a great many reasons. But make no mistake: these sorts of stories are part of an ongoing effort to secure CIFTA�s ratification by persuading the American public, and U.S. Senators, that CIFTA will cure Mexico�s ills. Fortunately, the Senate seems in no mood to go along. But that does not stop the treaty�s supporters from trying. It would, though, be nice if they could at least look up the numbers accurately.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,470
Posts18,508,544
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.