Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4715630 12/17/10
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
was in cabella's today and something was calling tome.
A model 57 smith in .41 magnum six inch, in the blue velvet lined box. For 800 bucks.
The 800 kind of choked me up a little.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
A model 57 smith in .41 magnum six inch, in the blue velvet lined box. For 800 bucks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206499925

A bit different era than you are speaking of, but the same model. Located right there in Phoenix for you. There was another one closer to bid's end at around $600, IIRC.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

A bit different era than you are speaking of, but the same model. Located right there in Phoenix for you. There was another one closer to bid's end at around $600, IIRC.

you would have thought they would have taken the time to clean the area around the forcing cone

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You could do a whole lot worse. E

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think the price is so bad... I sold this one on GB a little while ago....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197974696

Fired 6 times by the original owner...

That one above is missing it original factory Target stocks...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

With all of the original goodies 800 is not out of line

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ouch! That's a little steep for my liking. That is the only revolver cartridge I've never owned. I have nothing against them and came close to buying one at one point.

I wonder how long that cartridge will last till it becomes obsolete. The reason I say this is I have a bullet casting business. When I started the .41 was popular and I sold a good amount of bullets for it. But the last 4 years I've seen 1 order for 500 bullets. There aren't a lot of bullet choices if you shoot cast bullets. At least the jacketed bullets are still out there though.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by joed49
Ouch! That's a little steep for my liking. That is the only revolver cartridge I've never owned. I have nothing against them and came close to buying one at one point.

I wonder how long that cartridge will last till it becomes obsolete. The reason I say this is I have a bullet casting business. When I started the .41 was popular and I sold a good amount of bullets for it. But the last 4 years I've seen 1 order for 500 bullets. There aren't a lot of bullet choices if you shoot cast bullets. At least the jacketed bullets are still out there though.

I don't know if it will ever be obsolete, at least to me. There isn't a lot of difference between .401 and .429. i have an aedequate supply of brass to last me and i do cast my own bullets if i chose to do so. Another thing i haven't managed to scrounge up is that old .41caliber hensley and gibbs mould. Elmer keiths flatpoint design.
What is hard for me in a way is to go into cabella's museum and see some of the prices, such as 600bucks for a detective special when i paid 250bucks for the same thing a months ago.
It took me a little while to get fond of the .41, but i sure am now. you can download it, or run it hot either way. Most of mine are running a 210grain cast bullet at about 1000fps which is what i use to burn up tin cans with

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
I don't think the price is so bad... I sold this one on GB a little while ago....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197974696

Fired 6 times by the original owner...

That one above is missing it original factory Target stocks...

Bob

those stocks were pretty funky to me, i think the first place they would go with me is into the garbage can

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

well i have to thank you for that, took delivery of it today. pictures didn't do it justice, good price too.
You never know. The place was a funky pawn shop in a little strip mall that had seen better days.
I was thinking the area around the forcing cone was dirty but just bad lighting.
those grips are kind of funky and wish i had the original stocks. But having said that they are comfortable, and would certainly do what intended absorb recoil.
Now to find the 8inch

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Ron
A Big Welcome to the S&W .41 Magnum club. It was S&W that came out with the very first handgun being the Model 57 to fire the .41 Magnum Round and the Caliber got it's Birth & Development start in life by the Famed trio of Hand gun Enthusiasts being Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan & Skeeter Skelton But Sadly, This Cartridge got a bad start in Life as it was originally intended and Meant to be used for law Enforcement and said to be "The Perfect Police round". That comment or Pet name for it did not take long for the Gun haters to Whine about it's Massive Knock down Power or the Higher claimed Velocity of it so Remington Arm's who produced it first for Commercial public sales, down played the Cartridge offering it in a Reduced Load for Police work shortly after making the round available for public sales. I have found that If you want the Most out of the .41 Magnum Cartridge you will have to hand Load for it. Bullet selection will be limited compared to the more Popular .44 Magnum which had a 7 Year Head Start in life on the .41 Magnum round as the .44 Magnum round came out in 1956 and the .41 Hit the scene in 1964, so most that Liked the Large round Magnum performance had all ready bought the .44 Magnum handguns and saw Little or no use in adding the .41 Magnum at a reduced or Politically Correct velocity. I shoot my Model 57 No Dash with handloads that are every Bit as Potent as the .44 magnums are. I use Hornady 210 Grain XTP Bullets in mine and I tell people the difference between The Power and Loading of the a .41 Magnum compared to the .44 Magnum Cartridge is Only . 0019" In Bullet diameter. I have heard that the .41 Magnum shoots a little flatter than the .44 Magnum due to smaller Bullet diameter of it, but having both caliber's and hand loading for both I see little Noticeable difference in the two perhaps a little less recoil out of the .41 Magnum being the only Factor in question. I don't think the .41 Magnum caliber will ever be extinct as some claim it will be some day, as it has survived well since 1964 and Brass & Bullets are still available for it, so us Hand Loaders are keeping it Very Alive. Here is mine in Factory Nickel and the harder to locate 4" Barrel resting in it's Factory presentation case. I will Never part with it as they are far too hard to find in nickel with 4" Barrels, and this Old .41 Rocks when I Load for it... The General

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i was looking through the hodgden reloading site last night along with midway.
mighty tempted to run some of the 170 grain bullets out at about 1800fps in these .41magnums.
read about some guy whose thing was doing that to bust used cast iron skillets. Said it just shattered them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran the Sierra 170 JHP when I first got my .41 Magnum
You can push them fast, I never was very happy with them.
Thought I can tell you they are absolute hell on jackrabbits....
Even I felt guilty for what it did to them.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Smith and Wesson's website lists a 4 inch 41 Magnum, even a nickel plated model, on their website. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i was looking through the hodgden reloading site last night along with midway.
mighty tempted to run some of the 170 grain bullets out at about 1800fps in these .41magnums.
read about some guy whose thing was doing that to bust used cast iron skillets. Said it just shattered them.

18grs AA #9, 210gr XTP, Federal mag primer, yields 1475 fps, same load with 170 gr yields 1625, but I prefer the 210gr load with standard primer which yields 1390 fps outta my blackhawk. Heres my deer gun.

[Linked Image]

Had this since the late 70s. The 41 mag will definately do anything a 44 will except shoot the real heavy bullets. Enjoy yours, I do mine.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

well i have to thank you for that, took delivery of it today. pictures didn't do it justice, good price too.
You never know. The place was a funky pawn shop in a little strip mall that had seen better days.
I was thinking the area around the forcing cone was dirty but just bad lighting.
those grips are kind of funky and wish i had the original stocks. But having said that they are comfortable, and would certainly do what intended absorb recoil.
Now to find the 8inch
smile Congrats. Pics?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Smith and Wesson's website lists a 4 inch 41 Magnum, even a nickel plated model, on their website. E

Hello Eremicus
They do it is one of their Classic series of revolvers. It will have the New MIM action and a Lock though and sells for a Grand. For a Grand I would rather own the original ones over the new offerings though...The General.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Now to find the 8inch
smile Congrats. Pics?

it looks better in person than in the gunbroker stuff. Cleaned it up last night. Very little signs of being shot much. But did have some lead in the barrel. Multiple passes with a brush, ed's red, then some barnes cr10 then a patch made out of a bronze pot scubber pat, finally got it out. Ordered some target stocks to put on it, so in a while will post a picture.
My problem now is i think i want to look for one of the 8inchers. I already had a blackhawk, and a 57 and 58 in four inch, and a ruger redhawk with pretty much the same length barrel.\
but the six inch with target hammer trigger, means something to me. The ruger had a action job on it and is a nice piece, but i have a fondness for the smiths. And the six inch balances a little different than the four.
I have mostly loaded a lees cast bullet and jacketed in the 210 range. a favorite is the old jacketed soft point at 210 grains. But i think i am going to run some of the light bullets, and some of the heavy bullets. When i quite screwing with it probably do what i did with the 29 and that is a 240 grain around 1000fps for working loads, pretty much the same thing i run in a 696

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Ron
The Guy that shot that Gun was a Pig by the looks of all that Lead in the bore & Cylinder. I have had Great Luck using a Product called "Chore Boy". It is a copper scouring Pad found in the grocery stores in the cleaning aisle. I take it apart using the strands of it and weave it around a smaller size cleaning brush say a .357 Brush for the .41 Magnum. I then scrub the bore with it and it removes the lead super fast and leaves a Bore squeaky clean and like a Mirrior when you are done. Being that Chore Boy is Copper it will Not Harm the steel in the cylinder or Bore when used. That is a nice looking 57 it just was not cleaned much after shooting it by it's previous owner... The General

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by generalstuart
Hello Ron
The Guy that shot that Gun was a Pig by the looks of all that Lead in the bore & Cylinder. I have had Great Luck using a Product called "Chore Boy". It is a copper scouring Pad found in the grocery stores in the cleaning aisle. I take it apart using the strands of it and weave it around a smaller size cleaning brush say a .357 Brush for the .41 Magnum. I then scrub the bore with it and it removes the lead super fast and leaves a Bore squeaky clean and like a Mirrior when you are done. Being that Chore Boy is Copper it will Not Harm the steel in the cylinder or Bore when used. That is a nice looking 57 it just was not cleaned much after shooting it by it's previous owner... The General

great minds think alike, that is pretty much what it got yesterday. Yesterday afternoons fascination was looking up two inch versions in the .41magnum. There is the lew horton, and a performance cent slab side. I just wonder with that short a barrel if you would be spraying unburnt powder at the end of the tube.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 14 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.