Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Can anyone recommend a good binocular that has the range finder built-in? They were really expensive when they first came out but it might be time to take another look. Thx

Hunter308

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're still expensive for the good ones. From what I've seen the Zeiss and Leica are the best.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Leica Geovids and love them. Great glass and the built in range finder is much easier for me to use than the stand alone units not to mention it's one less piece of equipment I need to carry.

I've never seen the Zeiss model but would imagine it's top notch too.

I bought mine during the last model change and got a great deal on them from Doug at Cameraland.

The only time I've missed my stand alone R/F is during bow season this year. I'm seriously thinking about Leupolds new bow mounted R/F to solve that problem. Man, that thing is Dick Tracy cool cool cool

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend got a pair of 10 x 42 Leica Geovids. I made the mistake of trying them. I now have a pair.

I carried them on the last two elk hunts. I used to carry a leica 1200 on my belt. Now I range stuff all the time. The terrain where we hunt elk is so varied that we get fooled on the distances. Having the means to glass for game and know the actual distance instantly is priceless.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for the Geovids. I have the 10x42 HD and they are great. The only downside I have found with them is the wont range in the snow. Good luck

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a rangefinding binocular that has gotten rave reviews on another forum, and has been ignored on here. It is the Bushnell Fusion, and over on Sniper's Hide, the guys really give it high marks. It is a 10x42 with average glass, but a really outstanding rangefinder that reaches to 1600 plus yards with no problem. Retail is about $900. A lot of money, but well under half of what you pay for the alpha units with less rangefinding performance.

I haven't seen or used one, but when my Leica CRF 1200 craps out, I fully intend to replace it with something other than another Leica. You can bet I'll give this unit from Bushnell a close look, as a 1600 yard plus rangefinder in a useable binocular has a lot of appeal for me.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Sharpsguy is correct. The Fusion have a rangefinder that will match or best most everything out there for a range finder. I have one and like it a lot for Iowa deer hunting.
For a mule deer hunt with hours of glassing but not much ranging I would take my 7x42 swar. or elite 8x42. Tha range finder in mine does read out the 1400-1600 yards on just a bush in a fenceline or other small object that my elite 1200 arc doesnt come close to reading. The bino has a light blue/gray cast to the view but actully has good resolution. If you can afford the geovid it would be hard to go wrong with that, but this is a good option in a combo. Dean

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Bushnell Fusion is a fantastic deal. I was sent one to test in September, and was immediately impressed. The rangefinder is rated at 1600 yards, but normally the ratings for rangefinders are optimistic. Bright sunlight and the target can cut the maximum in half, or even more. So I was somewhat surprised when on a sunny September afternoon I got a reading of 1609 yards off a juniper tree. (And no, it wasn't a mis-read, because I have a topo map of the area where the test was made.)

The optics aren't quite Leica-quality, but they are very good. After my initial test I used the Bushnell to hunt with all fall, and never felt handicapped. This was mostly in Montana, with a lot of hunting in the wide-open spaces of eastern Montana. There never was a problem, either with the optics or range-finder.

For $800 it's a steal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
was really interested in these, was able to look through them in a store beside my Pentax 10x43 ED current binos, they were noticeably less sharp, wish across a large store wish I could compare in the field

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I personally saw two Leica Geovids fail this year on an Oregon sheep hunt on Hart Mountain. One fogged up on the inside and the other would not range, even after replacing the battery. Just a small sampling I know, but it happened on a once in a lifetime hunt.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Anoother suprised looker of the Bushnell. They are not Leica, but for most of us we would very well served. My turn off was the short warranty and bulky feel of the units. I liked the Leupold ok, but too many buttons, settings, etc. I just want to know how far!

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm like you in that I just want to know how far, and don't need the bells and whistles. I wouldn't worry too much about the Bushnell warranty, as NONE of the bino/rangefinder combos has a very long warranty, and at least I suspect that Bushnell will honor theirs. I can't see dropping $2300 on a unit that has a two year warranty on the electronics and then find out that they won't or can't fix it when it goes out. Any of the longer range capable rangefinders are going to hit you for nine hundred or there abouts, and the superior ranging ability of the Bushnell Fusion combo makes it worth serious consideration in my book.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I'm like you in that I just want to know how far, and don't need the bells and whistles. I wouldn't worry too much about the Bushnell warranty, as NONE of the bino/rangefinder combos has a very long warranty, and at least I suspect that Bushnell will honor theirs. I can't see dropping $2300 on a unit that has a two year warranty on the electronics and then find out that they won't or can't fix it when it goes out. Any of the longer range capable rangefinders are going to hit you for nine hundred or there abouts, and the superior ranging ability of the Bushnell Fusion combo makes it worth serious consideration in my book.

I have Leica Geovid 10x42's, which I have owned for going on 5 years now. No electronics or optics problems whatsoever. They have been used hard, dropped from tree stands a couple of times, used in subzero to over 100 degree temps, on rifle and bow hunts, on four continents. My Leicas have become as essential as my rifles or bows as hunting equipment. There may be cheaper units that get the job done, but they will never match Leica quality, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My 8x42 Geovids have been a nice addition to my hunting gear.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I like my 8x42 geovids. Been using them for 3 years now and can't complain. Have ranged trees at over 1300. Ipaid full price for the non -HD version then sat and watched while doug unloaded them at unbelievable prices when the HDs came out

You must use your left hand to hit the range button so i have heard of some right handed bow hunters not liking them for that reason

If you can find a non HD pair for $1200 or so I think I'd jump on it

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
You must use your left hand to hit the range button so i have heard of some right handed bow hunters not liking them for that reason

Huh?...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a set of Leica Geovids 8X42 that I used for the first time on a Bison hunt a few weeks ago. I was using a 45-110 Sharps and for those of you not in the know, BP "rollers" Achilles Tendon is you MUST have the range down close to exact or you will miss. After I long stalk I was able to quickly bring the binos up, lazer the range, adjust and execute proper shot placement. Add to that the superb glass and you have one hell of a nice piece of gear. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yea, that left handed thing would be a bummer when bowhunting. I use my fusion for both bow and gun hunting so the right hand only operation is kind of a big deal.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by shortmagfan

Huh?...

Just like it says. Right handed bow hunters typically hold their bow with the left hand and range with the right. On the Geovids, the button is at a spot on the binoculars where you can only operate the range find with your left hand.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I got to play with John Burns'12x45 Zeiss with LRF one day this past fall...they are slick for sure.Very nice stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.