-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm truly surprised more folks don't recommend the Blackhorn 209/Precision Rifle Dead Center bullet combo .... The powder speaks for itself but speaking for the bullet......... B.C.'s are great, terminal performance is above most everything (IMO), and accuracy is absolutely off the charts.......

I happily shot 120 gr of BH and the DC bullet in a Knight since nearly inception, so I know about the loads terminal effects........However, the recent purchase of an Encore Endeavor from Doctor Encore, "rammed" full of the above load, schooled me on the accuracy capability of Modern In-line ML's..........

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, I received my Leigh Gen II breech plug in just two days. Cool. Now can you tell me what the 3 other little thigamajigs are that came with it. The internet said it came with the plug, a 209 primer carrier, and 2 vent liners. Not sure what the vent liners are, but I got the plug, a dohickie that is probably supposed to be the primer carrier, (which I have no idea how it is supposed to work), something that looks like a short threader screw with a head on it that looks like a rivet, then there is something that kinda looks like a brass hollow pointed bullet. Can you please tell me what all these little toys are, and how I'm supposed to use them? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
By the way: my Knight Disc Extreme is in the garage, cold and loaded. Tomorrow is the second (2 day) gun season in Ohio. I'll be out after them bright & early.

Last edited by hunter01; 12/17/10.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FYI, I put a 220 gr. Barnes Redhot through a doe's heart tonight at 4:29 P.M. Was 41 yards away, and still ran 100 yards before giving it up. Had a softball size hole out the other side. When I field dressed it, the heart was totally gone. How do they do that? Sprayed blood the whole way before it called it a day. I sat out in 21 degree blowing wind for 4 1/2 hours waiting for that deer to show up. It was worth every minute. Cleaned up the Knight rifle, and took the breech plug out, probably for the last time, since I just received my new Lehigh plug. I'm done for the year with deer. I'll get some Blackhorn 209, some Barnes 250 gr. and 290 gr. bullets and with my new breech plug, I'll see if I can find a load that shoots well for me. Can't wait.

Last edited by hunter01; 12/18/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i am another fan of the BH209/precision rifle bullet combo. i'm using 90gr of 209 and the 435gr version from precision rifle. actually tried the keith nose solid, hp and the QT spitzer and settled on the QT. it's a hammer out to about 125yds. (never shot anything past that.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm glad to hear you like it too. I'm looking forward to trying to work up a good load with it. Pretty cold here in Ohio right now. Not fun freezing on the bench trying to work up loads now. Will wait til spring. Tucking my smoke pole away for the winter. Got all my deer for the year. Hope to be ready next fall with a new powder/bullet load. Will see how HB209 works for me..

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That bullet you got from Lehigh is a sample of bullets they sell. I have mine around but have not tried them. The 'primer' holder is held in the bolt face & holds the primer. It won't fall out unless you take the bolt out, which is good while hunting. If you lose it your gun would be inoperable with the Lehigh plug.

The small screw looking things are replacement 'vent liners'. The one in your plug unscrews if needed. I use a 'welding tip cleaner' to clean the flash hole and do take the screw in vent liner out at times to clean. With normal shooting I don't plan to wear out the vent liner any time soon. You got your order quick, mine took a while.

I shot a doe this Fall in the heart with the Knight. It made a 50+ yrd dash downhill before expiring.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for explaining what everything is, and what it does. I don't think I'd of figured it out without your help. No directions as to what it is and how exactly to use it. Thanks again.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Can you prime the primer holder without the use of any tools?

Last edited by eyeguy; 12/19/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, you just set/drop/position the bare primer into the stainless primer holder. It should tip right out after firing.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It took me a little while to figure it out, but I did. I didn't realize that the primer carrier went onto the bolt. Duh. No directions. How do you take the vent plug/screw out????? And what is the brass bullet-looking thingie for???

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hunter, I just ordered a Lehigh breech plug system last PM. The picture and description of what you are to recieve doesnt mention or show a brass bullet looking thing. So I cant help you with that one. I look forward to getting it soon. Dean

Last edited by eyeguy; 12/20/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the doe and the nice shot!!! I am betting you end up liking the BH / 245 (250) combo. About 110 or 120 grs.

Congrats again!!!! My season opened TODAY! Along wtih eyeguys! We will be after them later this week....i get outta this office and start hunting the afternoon of the 22nd and have til Jan. 3rd until i have to be back to work. Cant wait.

Hello Pro-hunter/Blackhorn/Barnes 245. I would like you to meet Mr. Big Buck!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the heads up on the lehigh breech plug system. It is great and will never go back to the red discs again. Like you said almost no blow back seals up well and 1 1/2 inch group at 150 yards today. 110 bh 209 and 250 barnes mz. Dean

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have so much loose triple seven powder, between me and my father.I really love this stuff.Real clean powder and plenty potent for me.I just don't see how much better the black horn 209 can be.Well!! when I run out of 777,I'll give it a shot!!777 has always worked fine for me.Plus I'll have to re-sight my gun in,when the time comes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hawk_Driver will a musket cap be enough to ignite it?. In
Oregon during blkpwdr season we can not use an inline as the cap must be exposed at all times. Also center fire caps not allowed.
So if the musket cap won't light it up I guess we can't use it so please advise. Thanks for your time .Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like it since switchin over from triple seven pellets.I think the big misconception today is you have to shoot 150grs of something to get the job done...don't think that's the case at all.I've helped some friends with their finicky rifles and most of the time all have shot much better at around 90 grs equivalent and velocities between 1450 and 1550.Groups have tightened up and shot to shot vel is very close....

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northcountry

Oregon during blkpwdr season we can not use an inline as the cap must be exposed at all times. Also center fire caps not allowed.
So if the musket cap won't light it up I guess we can't use it so please advise. Thanks for your time .Cheers NC

I want to know the same thing about the Musket Cap, anyone know?

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy

Tracy

It is not a factory recommended ignition system.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Originally Posted by northcountry

Tracy

BH209 will NOT ignite with a musket cap.Even standard 209's don't always work in every rifle.209M's seem to be the best,while some guns do just fine with standard 209s.

Last edited by Ruger # 1; 01/02/11.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ruger # 1 Thanks for the input,if you read my previous post you will understand why I asked. Once again thanks. Cheers
and a HAPPY NEW YEAR NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.