Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used fanny packs for years on most of my day hunts. The rig isn't more than a few miles away and I can get most everything I need into a good sized fanny pack.

Thing is.....with some pronounced back issues, I'm needin' some shoulder straps to offset the weight as my lower back and hips really feels it at the end of the day.

I've looked at the Kelty Muskoka and the Badlands Monster packs, both fanny packs with shoulder straps. The Monster holds 1,000 sq.in. and the Kelty, 600. The Badlands pack is more skookum, but the Kelty is just a bit lighter and 1/2 the $.

I don't usually go cheaper, but can't see that not doing so this time would be detrimental in any way. Both seem well made and exactly what I'm lookin' for.

Any thoughts on these 2 particular packs or any others that are of this design that I might look into that you guys have experience with....?

Thanks in advance.............

Last edited by magnumb; 12/19/10.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not just use a small, light daypack?

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I could, but unless it's really narrow, when I have a rifle shouldered, many daypacks are just wide enough to not allow my scoped rifles to ride/fit comfortably shouldered along my side (no......I don't shoulder them alot, but when I do, I want it riding comfortably...wink).

Not a huge issue, but with a fanny pack, the most the rifle touches the pack is the butt section, if that. The scope never comes close to rubbing or riding against any part of the fanny pack.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I use a Bison Gear pack. The straps are the catz azz.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I have the Badland Monster and I really like it. It also comes with a hydration kit,if you prefer such a thing.

Last edited by isaac; 12/19/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I fought fanny packs for a number of years and after getting a real pack I'll never have another fanny pack. There are many packs that do not interfere with slinging a scoped rifle. My pack has a bladder and plenty of straps to stow clothes as I shed them. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by magnumb
I've used fanny packs for years on most of my day hunts. The rig isn't more than a few miles away and I can get most everything I need into a good sized fanny pack.

Thing is.....with some pronounced back issues, I'm needin' some shoulder straps to offset the weight as my lower back and hips really feels it at the end of the day.

I've looked at the Kelty Muskoka and the Badlands Monster packs, both fanny packs with shoulder straps. The Monster holds 1,000 sq.in. and the Kelty, 600. The Badlands pack is more skookum, but the Kelty is just a bit lighter and 1/2 the $.

I don't usually go cheaper, but can't see that not doing so this time would be detrimental in any way. Both seem well made and exactly what I'm lookin' for.

Any thoughts on these 2 particular packs or any others that are of this design that I might look into that you guys have experience with....?

Thanks in advance.............

I didn't ever have back issues until I hit my mid 40's--except when I tried wearing a fanny pack. My go-to hunting pack is a big double fanny pack with shoulder straps. I added a large pocket between my shoulder blades and straps underneath to carry my coat. Originally intended for archery hunting to allow for free shoulder movement, but I liked it so much I use for all my hunting.

Problem is...double fanny packs are no longer in vogue, and difficult to find. I bought this pack over 20 years ago, the company that manufactured it is long gone, and my pack is gonna wear out soon.

So if you find a large capacity fanny pack with shoulder straps, let me know.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I use a Bison Gear pack. The straps are the catz azz.

Me too....forever waranty and a great pack!!!!

My rifle may change from day to day but I cary the same pack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tedthorn

[Linked Image]

aaawwwwwh. Isn't that sweet. You shot the whole family. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep and I had more ammo and tags left for the funeral (rest of the family)

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by tzone
aaawwwwwh. Isn't that sweet. You shot the whole family. grin

laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Black's Creek with straps and it's held up really well.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for all of the replies so far...keep 'em comin'....smile. BTW - great pics tedthorn and good info as well! Seems you ran into a "deer dog town".......grin.

I have a good back pack which is just a little bit too roomy for my day hunts. It also impedes my rifle movement while shouldered as well. I know that they make smaller back packs, but the fanny pack is what my son and I have decided to go to. Thankfully, there are a truck load of wonderful packs out there that come in all sizes and shapes. I agree, for some people, they are a no-brainer. Perhaps that say's something about me.....wink.

alpinecrick........the Badlands Monster is somewhat larger than the Kelty and may fit what you're after. They run about $120 and are very well made and comfortable. I think that they're very much worth their asking price. Not sure what a "double fanny pack" is.....? But if you Google up the Badlands Monster pack, you may like what you see and not dread the wearing out of your 'ole faithful pack too much. I do know what you're talkin' about, however.....grin.

Thanks again and I'm up for any and all other suggestions. I'll post what I ended up with when I make the purchase.

Thanks again...........

Last edited by magnumb; 12/19/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From a different perspective, I have a Kelty ElkHorn 675 as below:

[Linked Image]

It was about $70 but I suspect it may have been discontinued now???

I've used a fair bit and it has held up well enough, but I can't say its a "favourite"..

On reflection, I'd say when I need a pack with the capacity of the Kelty, a proper day pack feels better, but thats a personal thing..

What I used to wear quite a bit was a Snugpak Response below:

[Linked Image]

Not my pack, but it gives you an idea what it will carry:

[Linked Image]

About half the size of the Kelty, it was just about right for my needs. Like all Snugpak kit, its good quality, although quite a simple design and actually very cheap ($20 ish)...The one thing that lets it down is lack of shoulder straps.

A while later, I then saw Chinese knock off copy on Ebay(there are loads on there) that was even cheaper, but had two fixing loops so you could run a single strap over your shoulder "sam browne" style...

Bought it, and it worked great, for a while. First bit of cold weather we had and the main plastic buckle broke...However, it did prove the concept of using the single shoulder strap so I am looking for a better quality replacement.

The reason I like it is because you can wear it so the strap is on the opposite shoulder to your rifle, so there is absoultely no interference at all...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am using one of these this year to replace the fanny pack/suspenders setups for items I want to keep on me all the time. I kinda like it. Man-purseish, but it works....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2053134779

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try a day pack with internal stays. It will also have a waist belt and hopefully a sternum strap, too. You can adjust both shoulder and waist straps as needed during the day to shift the weight so it's the most comfortable. Plus, the day pack will give you some important extra room and weight capacity if needed.
I have a fairly inexpensive ($50 +/-) camo version made by Kelty. If needed, I can easily carry 30 to 40lb in it but for most uses, it rides nicely on my back.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by magnumb

Here's what you need: Crooked Horn Outfitters fannypack/backpack. Unfortunately, the auction closed yesterday, and you missed a good deal.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try suspenders

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Try suspenders

*snigger* grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried a few different options , but keep going back to my small fanny pack and added a good pair of suspenders to it. Works well for me .

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,924
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.