Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
#1 - Actually, he does offer reasons for his likes and dislikes. I'm sure this will be no different.

#2 - When he does, bigsqueeze, seeing the obvious difference in experience levels between 'Stick and you, you really should STFU and listen.
.................Obvious differences in experience? You Rancho are another clueless and moronic idiot, who has no idea what in hell you`re talking about.

Maybe you sir can post up some of Big Stick`s "wonderful and very thorough answers" as to the whys of what he likes and dislikes??? I`d sure as hell like to read some.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Burris 6x40 Fullfield II, on the other hand, seems to be one of the great bargains in big game scopes.

JB,

The Burris 6x40 FFII is being closed out for $150. Any reason why a guy with limited funds should save up and spend ~$250 more for the Leupy 6x42?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I've carried the 6x36 FXII on a couple hunts now. One was a wide open Coues hunt where I had no problem seeing critters way out there. The other was an elk hunt where I took my bull at about 60 yards. The only reason I didn't take him at about 35 was because the woods where so thick I didn't find a window to shoot through until he walked a little. I could see the elk just fine though at 35 (just not vitals). This big thing for me is I wanted the size/dimensions andWhat makes you hate the 36mm? Is it truly bad or only less better than the 42mm? Also, you commented elsewhere that the 4x is "slower". What makes the 4x "slower" than the 6x, as I'm not sure what that means? weight of something like a 2.5x8 Leupy, but wanted to spend about $100 less. Plus, I wanted to be a little different. Thus, the 6x36.

I hate the '36............

What makes you hate the 36mm? Is it truly bad or only less better than the 42mm? Also, you commented elsewhere that the 4x is "slower". What makes the 4x "slower" than the 6x, as I'm not sure what that means?

I hate the 36mm,because it is a concession to the 42mm version,in regards to ease of acquisition...regarding placing crosshairs upon a victim. Especially moving victims,which is a weakness of mine,in regards of refrain.(grin)

4x's are more fickle,along those same lines.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
#1 - Actually, he does offer reasons for his likes and dislikes. I'm sure this will be no different.

#2 - When he does, bigsqueeze, seeing the obvious difference in experience levels between 'Stick and you, you really should STFU and listen.
.................Obvious differences in experience? You Rancho are another clueless and moronic idiot, who has no idea what in hell you`re talking about.

Maybe you sir can post up some of Big Stick`s "wonderful and very thorough answers" as to the whys of what he likes and dislikes??? I`d sure as hell like to read some.

bigsqueeze,

You may wanna consider Hormone Therapy,to satiate those tender titties of your's and to quell the length of your flow.

Get a kick outta the length of your period and the "depths" of your "experience" to boot.

You GO girl!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_G
That Loopie 6x42 is hard to beat, from a number of perspectives. Give it a hard look.

Thanks.

I'll do that....................(grin)

Glad I could help clue you in ..............(grin)

(Was really talking to the OP, but clicked when I should have clacked. Anyone hanging around here, even for a short bit, knows how you fell about the 6x42. Only question is - does your wife know?)

Last edited by John_G; 12/20/10.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll take all the help I can get...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See my edit.

Added insight: Freud might wonder if you like the x42 over the x36 because it's longer and is thicker at the end...............?

If you smoke long, thick cigars, that could be an added clue.........(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Freud didn't shoot.

The objective has but modest bearing in the equation,though brighter ain't going backwards...especially when given the modest weight tradeoff associated................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Freud didn't shoot.

The objective has but modest bearing in the equation,though brighter ain't going backwards...especially when given the modest weight tradeoff associated................

I concur...... particularly 'cause the size/weight factor leans even more towards the 6x42 when one compares it to a variable.

Re: Freudian issues ... I have to admit that when golfing I prefer my driver with a big head and a stiff shaft...... just sayin' (grin)

Last edited by John_G; 12/20/10.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
I've got two 6x Leupolds, a FXII 6x36 w/ LRD reticle and a multicoated M8 6x42. I shot my deer this year at about 75 yds. with the 6x36. I only had a small hole in the brush to shoot thru but the 6x36 did just fine.As far as the advantages of fixed power scopes over variables there are three I know of. First, fixed power scopes tend to be more durable. Second, fixed power scopes do not change point of impact when changing power as some variables do. Third, when you are running a balistic reticle with a fixed power you don't have to worry about having your scope set at maximum magnification for the balistic reticle holdover marks to work (I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple). I'm sure either of the Leupolds will work great for you.

Someone care to explain how to change power on a fixed power scope!!!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CoalCracker,

I would certainly grab a 6x40 FFII for $150!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

I concur...... particularly 'cause the size/weight factor leans even more towards the 6x42 when one compares it to a variable.

I don't have the scopes in hand, but Leupold lists the FX-3 6x42mm at 13.2 inches long and 13.6 ounces.

The VX-3 3.5-10x40mm is listed as 12.6 inches long and 12.6 ounces.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 6x42 on a 270 win. I don't like it for woods use, but use this 270 as a elevated stand rifle for ranges to 200 ids or so. For woods use I prefer a 3-9x40 set on 3x.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A straight 6 power scope is not very handy in the hard woods where I am at for a fact. It just does not have wide enough field of view to suit this hunter.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot animals on 6X at bow ranges and haven't had a problem with it.

YMMV.

Alot of that gripe can be cured by consistent practice with your rifle at varying distances. If you do that, you'll soon get used to it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Freud didn't shoot.

Re: Freudian issues ... I have to admit that when golfing I prefer my driver with a big head and a stiff shaft...... just sayin' (grin)

I'm Anti-Hubble to the core and would be the last gent to trump superfluous X's or stupid objectives.

I love the 6x42,because nuttin' is better.................

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
I have a 6x42 on a 270 win. I don't like it for woods use, but use this 270 as a elevated stand rifle for ranges to 200 ids or so. For woods use I prefer a 3-9x40 set on 3x.

Agreed, I run a 3.5 x 10 in the woods and it stays on 3.5, please tell me why a 6x will work better for the average 50 yard shot? It won't, I tried the fx3 and it lasted 2 months, decent scope but it's not any better then a 3.5 x 10(which I think is leupolds best scope) for the way I hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i cant be convinced that a fixed 6x is better than a variable that has 2.5x, 3x, 4x etc., in the woods

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most likely reason that some claim generalities such as "nothing is better than a fixed 6x" is because they have low eyesight resolution and cannot see well with a scope of less magnification.

Then if follows easy if one has a complex to talk others into the fact that they must live in that box also.

The oculist asks YOU if you can see better with a or b and then selects that for you.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think anyone is saying a fixed 6 is better at short distances, but a legitimate argument can be made that it is better in the overall scheme of things.

All I'm saying is it can be made to work on close shots because I've done it without any trouble.

And being that it is a fixed power, it is inherently more reliable than variables. I've seen variables cough up their guts, I've never seen a Fixed 6 die because of recoil.

Their simplicity leaves less room for failure, they are quicker to utilize and you don't get the "shake effect" of a high powered variable turned up to view the moon.

Are they a target scope? Nope. But they are a damn effective hunting scope and a great choice if you value simplicity, ease of use and ruggedness.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,716
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.