Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While in the high country in Colorado I have had two Belgian Sheepdogs and one Belgian Tervuren. Between them they have gotten black bear butt for two big bears and chased away two more trying to break into the house with damage, but chased away. They always got their job done before the shotgun got used.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by derby_dude
It is to bad. I came home to a burglary many moons ago and it is a traumatic experience.
I can imagine. No matter where I've lived, dogless neighbors have been burglarized while my homes were not. I have to believe there's something to that, especially since I've always had the types of dogs most folks say they're scared of. Cheap insurance, it seems, and you get a best buddy to boot.

Happened to me just once, circa '82.. Mainly the dude was after jewelry/gold stuff like that.. Never touched the Super Blackhawk .44M near the bed, but it wasn't really that visible.. Never did anything else..

I got an alarm system immediately after..

Several homes around here over the last couple years have been broken into and lots of firearms stolen.. I hope they catch the azzhats that robbed your neighbor..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mountainclmbr
I don't know why I would not get a gun back. It seems it is a strong arm tactic to reduce crime reports. They always seem to report crime is going down, but I doubt it. I checked with other LEO and they confirmed it was general policy for city and county where I lived (Brevard County, FL). I also had a rifle and another pistol, but I quickly realized I should not mention them and may need tto quickly hide them. I was told any gun at the scene would be confiscated.

I don't understand this stuff. I thought Florida had one of the better castle laws. Sounds like being victimized twice, first the home invasion then having your property confiscated by the police.

If a shot were fired, I can see the police picking up a firearm in connection with the investigation, but if the homeowner is found to have committed no crime, it should be returned in due course.

I have the naive belief that a normal decent law-abiding citizen should be able to live his life without navigating a legal minefield, and having to have one or more attorneys on retainer.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Mom and Brother lived together until her house got robbed two years ago. It sent her off and she had to go live with her sisters. They caught the guy. He confessed to robbing over 90 houses. He did 3 on our block the night my Mom's house was robbed. He didn't get much because we don't have much but the jerk did take my Mom's class ring and one my Dad gave her. We'll never see them again. Cash for Gold probably melted them down already.

The burglar saw my Brother's gun case, and broke the lock off it and opened it. took both pistols he had out of their holsters and had it all out on his bed. He didn't take any of them though. The police said he was a professional burglar and didn't want to add federal charges to his list should he get caught. They said it's usually kids and dopers that take weapons. Career burglars steer clear of them.

I have a 26 gun Liberty safe bolted to the floor in the basement and it's time for another. If I don't use something every day, and it's valuable, it goes in the safe. It's a pain, but I know it will be there when I get back. I keep one gun upstairs, and one downstairs that no one will ever find and that's it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Several homes around here over the last couple years have been broken into and lots of firearms stolen.. I hope they catch the azzhats that robbed your neighbor..
Same here. A friend of mine who, at the time, lived in southern Florida was burglarized, and they got two of his handguns. A couple of months later the cops informed him that they had recovered one of them and returned it to him. I imagine it was found at a pawn shop. I hope these SOBs try to pawn the loot locally and get caught.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep in mind that most residential burglaries occur in the daytime. If You (anyone here) were to drive down a street and see someone walking into a driveway, you pay little heed unless you live in the immediate area and are familiar with who comes and goes from that house. otw it is NOT out of the ordinary to see folks walking into backyards down a driveway. If you saw the very same thing after 2200 hours, your suspicion antennae would be twitching like Jess Albas ass.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mountainclmbr
I had a home invasion when I lived in Florida. I had just changed jobs and was living in a temp apartment. Just came back from the grocery store and must have been followed, probably due to driving a Porsche turbo in my younger years. I heard my door rattle and looked out the peephole. I saw a skinhead with tattoos of barbed wire around his neck doinf=g a "jig" outside my door. I was not sure he was not visiting the punk rock college students across the hall. I ran to the bedroom and got my Charter Arms 44 spl and as I came out my door was busted in and the creep was charging me. He got another attitude when he saw I had a bea on his noggin and he was too close to miss. He turned and ran very fast. I called the city police and they said they would confiscate MY gun if they file a report since it was at a crime scene and I would probably not get it back. I told them I did not want to file a complaint and I lost my trust in police forever that night.

florida

What city was that?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet they love this time of year. They probably figured there were Christmas presents around the tree.

Yes, on both counts.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's troubles Hawk. Seriously time to be looking for a new chunk of real estate. Maybe look for a few acres outside the city limits where you could have a garden and some chickens, maybe an orchard.
That would be nice. I can have both a garden and chickens where I am, though. I pass other properties on my walks not far from here with chickens (I love to stop and look at them free ranging), and quite a few with horses. Folks across the street have three horses. Unfortunately, once you cross the railroad tracks, about five block east of me, it becomes a very different neighborhood. I PMed you a couple years ago about what happened one night when I, lost in thought, accidentally crossed into that area.

Damn , Man , you're lucky some of your "detractors" didn't see the "lost in thought" comment .grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a security system. The average burglar can't kill it like they can a dog and I don't have to feed it. Plus it don't schit anywhere. The annual cost is probably less than owning an attack dog.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Keep in mind that most residential burglaries occur in the daytime

Back when I lived in town, I lived in a nice new subdivision.
Between the hours of 9am and 3pm on weekdays that place was a ghost town.
Every resident was either at work or at school.
It would have been a burglars paradise.

I detest burglars, thugs & criminals with such disdain that I suppose I do condone pit bull ownership if the intent to to tear them to shreds and defend your property.

Keeping them 100% isolated from neighbor kids is just difficult if you live in town though, as an open gate or door could prove disasterous.

My prior rants on pit bulls come from the 120lb "tough guys" i see walking them on leashes in public places in an effort to itimidate others with their "weapon".

Proud NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Don't need or want an attack dog just a barking dog works fine. I will fill the attack role if needed...
Back this last spring when we had a swather stolen the dogs happened to be in the house. Had they not been the outcome most likely would have been different as they would have raised hell over any intruder...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
most GSP's would probably lick them to death But the bark is intimidating. Makes people give it a 2nd thought when they hear a deep bark on the other side of the door.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I have a security system. The average burglar can't kill it like they can a dog and I don't have to feed it. Plus it don't schit anywhere. The annual cost is probably less than owning an attack dog.
I remember some neighbors in my life who had excellent burglar alarm systems, but no dog, and were burglarized. Some on more than one occasion.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Then there is this stuff: http://burglarbomb.com

A monitored alarm system and a Bomb in each room where computers and guns are stored is good protection. Check your local laws first.

My friend had both his .460 and .378 Weatherby's stolen in a burglary. Worse, it happened just before he went on a Brown Bear hunt to Alaska. The burglar broke in through a rear window, left blood on the broken glass along with fingerprints. My friend suspected a old acquaintance that had popped up one day. The police said they couldn't develop a case because there wasn't enough evidence! That's the third protection, don't have scumbag friends, or allow kids to bring their scumbag friends home. Keep all firearms secret from everyone. Period. My friend made an emergency purchase of a .300 Weatherby for his hunt. Ten years later his stolen rifles turned up and were returned to him (guess nobody wanted to shoot a .378 or .460.).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
About 12 yrs ago me and my buddy happened to be passing by his dad's house (his dad had just passed away), only to find a couple of "brothers" helping themselves to some of his stuff. We caught one of them trying to leave through the window, and were able to track the other guy down and drag (I mean drag) him back to the house where his friend was. We were able to handle the situation rather convincingly ourselves. We did call the sheriff (we knew him). He "ran a few errands" before showing up, knowing we had the situation well in hand. By the time he got there the two bloodied "brothers" were begging for him to take them. I'm too old to handle things like that anymore, but it worked very effectively that time. No problems since.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If driving a van through a fence and then parking it in the backyard to burgle a home,during daytime hours,is business as usual in that neighborhood, I'd have a "For Sale" sign up tomorrow.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac
If driving a van through a fence and then parking it in the backyard to burgle a home,during daytime hours,is business as usual in that neighborhood, I'd have a "For Sale" sign up tomorrow.

Hawkeye has received similar advice from many Campfire members in the past, with no results. I think he likes living there for reasons that are unclear to me...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
most GSP's would probably lick them to death But the bark is intimidating. Makes people give it a 2nd thought when they hear a deep bark on the other side of the door.

ML

Don't be so sure on that one. I lived one block from work about 3 years ago and I used to walk to and from. Forgot my house keys one day and decided to sneak through the back window were the AC unit was. My short hair not knowing it was me decided to clamp onto my forearm and let me know she wasn't digging the whole idea. No bark, no growl just teeth. Once she realized it was me she was licking my face the whole time I was trying to get in the window. Not sure which was more distracting.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mntngoat

ML

as i said 99% of the time he is a goofball, and looks mean at the door, if i or the wife or the girls let yah in though he just looks for attention.....werent for the fact ive seen him get protective of the wife i would have my doubts bout him taking someone on....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (808outdoors, 300_savage, Akhutr, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 916 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,253
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.