Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by muleshoe
So how does a Swift Scirocco stack up agin an Accubond?

Just wondering, better penetration from either?

I too would like to know if they are different on game. In my fiddling with them the AB loses more weight and has a smaller opening. The SC II opens quite wide but retains more weight.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am using a Leupold 4.5 x 14 with a custom elevation target knob.
I don't know how they compare to accubonds. When I started loading the scirocco they didn't make the accubond. So far I have thought about trying a 160 accubond but have never seen a reason to quit using what is working so good for me.
Pre-scirocco I used to shoot Nosler ballistic tips for antelope. I found them to be too destructive/explosive, I imagine the bonding may cure some of that problem.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
10-4. TTSX it is. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ya id run the tsx's

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Brad,

What kind of holes and damage are you seeing from the 243?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muleshoe
So how does a Swift Scirocco stack up agin an Accubond?

Just wondering, better penetration from either?

They are very similar, but I have had inconsistent performance from the AB's on game.
The Scirocco's have performed very well and I've yet to recover one.

With both of them being extremely accurate I take the consistent performance of the Scirocco to put it out front.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A few years ago, I tested the 7mm 150 grain scirocco against other big game bullets, and they were by far the worst of the group, completely unacceptable. In fact, they looked more like varmint bullets, as they turned completely inside out, and lost almost half their weight. At the same time, pictures started showing up where it looks like the bullet blew up on impact. I swore at that time I would never buy another one, and I have kept that promise.

Since that time, the Scirocco II came out, and I have not tested that bullet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
the S2 will not do that.

I like them for the most part. It may sound strange, but one of the things I dont like about them is they always have a huge mushroom..just like the A-frame, they build up too much frontal, which hinders penetration..If its lead, I usually poke Hornady's.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I would like to hear more about the test. I have shot 60+ big game animals at ranges from 35 yards to 700 yards with 0 failures.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Anyone know exactly what was changed from the originals to the SciroccoII,The originals shot great in my 300WM,shot a Montana whitetail in the front shoulder at 130 yds,with a 180 gr bullet,found it just under the hide on the off side shoulder, they do have a big frontal area and I thought the bullet should have exited but it did it's job! I am suprised at all the pass thru's you guys are getting..they must have really improved them!

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I think the II's are the same size/shape but have had the jacket material changed. I think the originals were pure copper jackets and they changed the II's to a copper alloy to reduce fouling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to JB there was no change to the jacket other than heat treating.

I haven't shot the Scirocco in years. Think I'll revisit it.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Brad,

What kind of holes and damage are you seeing from the 243?

THey are not bad at all. I've had to cut away VERY little meat from the holes. The deer have all been shot at distances from 50-250yds. The recovered bullet measured ~.5" and weighed 81gr (IIRC). The shot that stopped that bullet was from a buck last year. I shot him through the shoulder at 160yds offhand and he went right down but had some wiggle left in him so I hit him again. The second shot entered near the rear leg and went on up through and was lodged in the off shoulder and I found it while cutting him up.

[Linked Image]

I was originally going to run the 6mm 80TTSX in that 243 but I traded into a box of the 6mm 90SSII's last year and figured I'd give them a try. Load work up was quick and painless. I gave them a coat of moly, stuck them in the lands and started working up with R-17. Ended up at 3220fps and very consistent 3/4" and under groups with that rifle. I run a LOT of 75 Vmax's in that little 243 and the 90SSII load prints about 1MOA left of the 75's at 100 and that too makes it easy to swap back and forth for me.

[Linked Image]

This year I still had some of them laying around so I just loaded them up again and ran them. Now I'm about out of them and haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'm leaning toward just picking up some more and running them again for awhile. I like what they do and my rifle likes them. Ya, it looks like I just talked myself into running them again, time to order some more...(grin) There's one scirocco'd doe missing from these pics, but these were SSII kills.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The above buck is in this pic too....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
According to JB there was no change to the jacket other than heat treating.

I haven't shot the Scirocco in years. Think I'll revisit it.

Give them a try.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.