good:
optically very good
light weight
inexpensive

bad:
poor eyepiece cover
not water proof (is water resistant)

What I did to evaluate:
I compared the Oberwerk 15x60s to Celestron 15x70 Skymaster and Zeiss 10x40 Classics t/p coated. I used a mono-pod with a flat platform on top for support. I started about 40 minutes before the sun went below the horizon and continued about 30 minutes afterward. I observed a nearby park, open space land with some prairie dogs, and an apartment complex. I switched between the various binoculars every couple minutes or so. This is my opinion based on these observations.

The Oberwerk perceived FOV is just slightly less than the Celestron which is just slightly less than the Zeiss. Which makes the Oberwerk FOV better than average.

Color/contrast for the Oberwerk is good - close to the Zeiss and obviously better than the Celestron.

Flatness is very good for all - I can not distinguish any barreling/pin cushioning.

Sharpness for the Oberwerk is nearly as good as the Zeiss, slightly better than the Celestron.

Distinguishing details on people, vehicles, prairie dogs, etc., the Oberwerks are the best. Particularly looking into shadows. The superior color/contrast/sharpness over the Celestrons really shows here. The Oberwerks did better than the Zeiss, but not as much as I expected. I dont know how to quantify the difference, but there is a noticeable difference in the details I can distinguish with the Oberwerks. Not really a fair comparison between 10x Zeiss and 15x Oberwerks. But thats what I have.

I am able to wiggle to top portion of the eyepieces with pressure (not the part that is attached to the body, but the part that moves when focusing). Both eyepieces wiggle as a single unit and move back to center when pressure is released (more pressure than you could possibly put against your face). Probably not a problem. But it feels like it should be more rigid to me. The Celestrons are similar in this regard.

The Oberwerk eyepiece cover is a piece of hard plastic that does not attach to the strap. Better than nothing... Just... I have an old cover from my parts bin that fits pretty well.

The Oberwerks are water resistant not waterproof. I emailed the company to see what this means, this is their response:
> The Oberwerk 15x60 is water-resistant, but not water-proof. In other words,
> some light rain would not be a problem, but dropping it in water would be a
> bad thing. If you need water-proof, choose one of the Sport RP Series or
> Mariner Series.
> Regards,
> Kevin Busarow
> Oberwerk Corp.

The bottom line:
I am impressed. The Oberwerk 15x60 are lightweight and very good optically. The $120ish price tag put them in a category different than anything I am aware of. I will be packing these up the mountain. And not afraid to use them.

I am not an expert. This is just another opinion.

Last edited by Grady8541; 12/22/10.

Speak life
GB1

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Just an update.
I have been using these for a couple weeks now observing wildlife in the area. The more I use these the more I like them.

If you are looking for some big binoculars and cant afford the high end stuff, or the large objective roof prism binos dont close sufficiently to meet your eyes (like me), these are worth your consideration.

That is all. Have a nice day.

Speak life
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gradu8541,

Do 15X60 have a tri-pod mounting place?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Yes. The front has a brass 1/4-20 fitting.

Speak life
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grady8541,

It looks like I will get to compare some in a few days. Thanks for the review.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hmmmm.......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Perhaps they will succeed where Barska et al have failed. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We here at the 'fire hope so. I will compare them to the 13X56 Minox which is a very nice glass. Since I own both, I will not have a favorite brand in the mix.

Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
They are much better than any Barskas I have held. I highly doubt they will match 13x56 Minox. But, I expect they wont be far behind. Sounds like we will soon know.

Speak life
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
A couple cardboard tubes outpace anything Barska...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,817
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.