Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
About 12 yrs ago me and my buddy happened to be passing by his dad's house (his dad had just passed away), only to find a couple of "brothers" helping themselves to some of his stuff. We caught one of them trying to leave through the window, and were able to track the other guy down and drag (I mean drag) him back to the house where his friend was. We were able to handle the situation rather convincingly ourselves. We did call the sheriff (we knew him). He "ran a few errands" before showing up, knowing we had the situation well in hand. By the time he got there the two bloodied "brothers" were begging for him to take them. I'm too old to handle things like that anymore, but it worked very effectively that time. No problems since.

That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Nice work.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hawk ole buddy, you really ought to think about pulling up stakes and moving.

As attached as you are to your dawg I'd hate to see you go through the attendant grief if some determined burglar decides that he'd really like to strip your place.

All of this crap you go through in your neighborhood just is not worth it.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I have a security system. The average burglar can't kill it like they can a dog and I don't have to feed it. Plus it don't schit anywhere. The annual cost is probably less than owning an attack dog.
I remember some neighbors in my life who had excellent burglar alarm systems, but no dog, and were burglarized. Some on more than one occasion.

Then you can't very well say their alarm was "excellent".

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some comments.

Rattler, the greatest weapon a GSP has is it's gas discharge. My former brother-in-law had one and talk about toxic gas. People were dying every where. grin

Montana doesn't have a state police. We have a highway patrol, thankfully.

Hawk, you are welcome to move to Montana. We are a whole lot colder than where you are but the living is safer.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
About 12 yrs ago me and my buddy happened to be passing by his dad's house (his dad had just passed away), only to find a couple of "brothers" helping themselves to some of his stuff. We caught one of them trying to leave through the window, and were able to track the other guy down and drag (I mean drag) him back to the house where his friend was. We were able to handle the situation rather convincingly ourselves. We did call the sheriff (we knew him). He "ran a few errands" before showing up, knowing we had the situation well in hand. By the time he got there the two bloodied "brothers" were begging for him to take them. I'm too old to handle things like that anymore, but it worked very effectively that time. No problems since.
Resisting arrest, were they? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
to true, the [bleep] even has crop dusting down to an art.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by isaac
If driving a van through a fence and then parking it in the backyard to burgle a home,during daytime hours,is business as usual in that neighborhood, I'd have a "For Sale" sign up tomorrow.
What can I say? I'd love to move into your neighborhood.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Laffin'...you mean your expansive library has nothing in re all the law enforcement agencies in Montana,including SWAT teams??

Man, what's in your library anways?, "One Fish-Two-Fish" and "Politics for Dummies"?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
If driving a van through a fence and then parking it in the backyard to burgle a home,during daytime hours,is business as usual in that neighborhood, I'd have a "For Sale" sign up tomorrow.

Hawkeye has received similar advice from many Campfire members in the past, with no results. I think he likes living there for reasons that are unclear to me...
Well, it is just four blocks from my place of employment, and I can't afford a nicer neighborhood. Actually, the immediate neighborhood is fine. It's that damned neighborhood that starts about five blocks east of here, on the other side of the railroad tracks, if you get my drift, that's the problem.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin'...you mean your expansive library has nothing in re all the law enforcement agencies in Montana,including SWAT teams??

Man, what's in your library anways?, "One Fish-Two-Fish" and "Politics for Dummies"?

been a couple of times where a sheriff or a sheriffs deputy got shot at and when he called out on the radio for help the local farmers who all have radios so they know to come help their neighbors for grass fires showed up rifles in hand to help out the officer.....we dont need no stinking SWAT teams grin couple Louisiana guys that turned up a couple counties over and found out its a piss poor idea to not surrender when a sheriff has 12 ranchers backing him up....dumb [bleep] decided to shoot again.....forget how many holes the coroner counted in their bodies.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/21/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by brinky72

Don't be so sure on that one. I lived one block from work about 3 years ago and I used to walk to and from. Forgot my house keys one day and decided to sneak through the back window were the AC unit was. My short hair not knowing it was me decided to clamp onto my forearm and let me know she wasn't digging the whole idea. No bark, no growl just teeth. Once she realized it was me she was licking my face the whole time I was trying to get in the window. Not sure which was more distracting.
Dogs can surprise you. I remember a case of a college student living in an apartment off campus. He had a typical friendly Lab that never showed a sign of aggression towards anyone. One day he had his apartment door unlocked, as he tended to do, and while he was working in his office on his computer a man with either a gun or knife (I can't remember) opened his door and was walking towards him from his rear. In doing so, he had to pass the mini kitchen where the Lab happened to be. The Lab, upon seeing this guy sneaking in, charged at him, grabbed the hand holding the weapon till he dropped it, and the man ran out leaving a trail of blood.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have a security system. The average burglar can't kill it like they can a dog and I don't have to feed it. Plus it don't schit anywhere. The annual cost is probably less than owning an attack dog.
I remember some neighbors in my life who had excellent burglar alarm systems, but no dog, and were burglarized. Some on more than one occasion.

Then you can't very well say their alarm was "excellent".
Reputed to be excellent, then. I believe it went off, but was at some point stopped, and they worked fast.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by atvalaska
http://www.doorandwindowalarms.com/barking-dog-alarm.htm little late,mite help someone.......
I looked into those once for when I took my dog with me to visit out of state relatives. The only problem with them is that, for some odd reason, they all choose the bark of a smallish to medium sized dog. Seems to me they should only use the barks of very large, deep throated, dogs.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Some comments.

Rattler, the greatest weapon a GSP has is it's gas discharge. My former brother-in-law had one and talk about toxic gas. People were dying every where. grin

Hawk, you are welcome to move to Montana. We are a whole lot colder than where you are but the living is safer.
Thanks, Derby. I can hardly tolerate the cold winters we have here in Northern Florida, though. As for the smell of dog farts, it all depends on what you feed them. Cheap food makes for bad smelling farts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some comments.

Thanks, Derby. I can hardly tolerate the cold winters we have here in Northern Florida, though. As for the smell of dog farts, it all depends on what you feed them. Cheap food makes for bad smelling farts.

for my GSP, changing diet only changes the quantity of the gas, not the "quality" of it eek

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rattler

been a couple of times where a sheriff or a sheriffs deputy got shot at and when he called out on the radio for help the local farmers who all have radios so they know to come help their neighbors for grass fires showed up rifles in hand to help out the officer.....we dont need no stinking SWAT teams grin couple Louisiana guys that turned up a couple counties over and found out its a piss poor idea to not surrender when a sheriff has 12 ranchers backing him up....dumb [bleep] decided to shoot again.....forget how many holes the coroner counted in their bodies.....
And that's exactly the way it was supposed to work in America.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Baiting easy targets is no great feat,rattler!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rattler
Some comments.

for my GSP, changing diet only changes the quantity of the gas, not the "quality" of it eek
My dog eats a 100% raw, human quality, diet, and his farts have literally no smell. Not that I make an effort to detect one. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can hardly tolerate the cold winters we have here in Northern Florida,
Puhleeeze.. laugh laugh

Warm spell here today.. Nearly 30F.. Downright balmy.. hehehehee

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 6MMWASP, 300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, 14 invisible), 917 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,254
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.