Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Gentlemen, I have an FN barrelled action (from a Husqvarna 640) in 8mm.
It has what looks like a barrel that was screwed in off centre into the action, sort of like the threads got crossed over or something....you cant mount a scope on it because of this. ITs about half an inch to the right at the end of the barrel.
It actually shoots quite well with open sights...
The rifle has never had a scope or D&T before, and its posible its been used all its life with open sights and no one noticed. It was only brought up when the guy who tried to D&T it for a scope said he couldnt comeplte the job because of this problem.

How much of an issue is this?
If I sent it to a gunsmith and said - fix it - is it liable to be the barrel that is wrong or the action? or maybe he can take it off and then just screw it back on straight...?

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hooo, boy.. A half-inch? I doubt the factory barrel will be usable. It could be that the receiver was not manufactured square and the internal threads are off. I don't think the barrel was screwed on cross-thread.. That would take some real power to do and it would be obvious something was wrong right away..

Only cure might be to re bore the receiver and go to oversize threads, then fit a new barrel to it..

That'll cost ya.. Might be best to forget the D/T and stick to irons..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ever think about a "Scout" scope setup ?

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, it sounds like money trouble.
I am not a big fan of the scout mount thing. I will stick to iron sights with it, which I like anyway.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A half inch?

However, I DO have a Husky Mauser in 06 that has a seriously-off-center chamber with huge runout, like 15 thousandths. I checked the action, which is pretty close to true.
The threads run true to the outside of the barrel, and the bore looks like it tracks (I haven't spudded it) but somehow the chamber wows around like it's drunk. I can't imagine that they chambered these things with a drill press, but it sure looks that way. Anyone know?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.