Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
JWP has a real bug up his booty over me cutting down that barrel! crazy

Thing is, I tried like heck to love the thing at 26" and in the end just couldn't. Rifle balance and handling matter to me and she was a mess at 26".

As far as I can tell she still shoots- weather was crap for shooting small groups the last couple weeks, but nonetheless she printed a couple good'uns. We'll see how it plays out over the course of some more shooting, particularly at longer range....

Hey Brad I was aiming for 23" and I think that's about where it's at but it depends how you measure. By how Pac-Nor seems to measure, based on my two, she's more like 22.5".... by how Kimber & Remington do it, more like 23". Thinkin' it's probably a wash <g>, and also that you and Dober gave good advice as usual!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I measure from the center of the gas port hole to the muzzle...

glad you like the barrel length!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitly more like 22.5" by that method.

I'm really digging the setup now; thinking I've got it buttoned up tight, finally, having tried some other scopes & mounts and of course the longer tube. Talley LW low's and a 3-9 Conquest, mounted back towards me of course <g>. The long constant eye relief of that scope is very nice on a long-action magnum like that.

Well... I better get back to my morning coffee in Hawaii here. grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bastid. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have any ocean frontage you can sell us Montana boyz... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know <g>. Been living like a pauper all year to swing this, so it's great to be enjoying the payoff!

I WILL spear a big fish on this trip, but I'm using more like the equivelant of a Wally-World .243 with a Bushnell on it... grin...not a .338, though they had those too at the Spear Store.... gonna have to sharpen it back up on the sidewalk here, or something, as I blunted it yesterday on some rock taking the one shot I've tried so far on a fish. And my belt sander wouldn't fit in my carry-on........

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
JWP has a real bug up his booty over me cutting down that barrel! crazy

I could care less about what your barrel length is or is not?

I was just you statement early in this thread, which was exactly opposite of what you did.

Tim, yes the 26" tube is the only thing I don't like about it. I've gotten used to it, but I'd prefer 24". But, it's such a shooter I'd be an idiot to mess with it. It still has the pressure point in the stock, too (not floated). I ain't messing with success!
-jeff

But you did anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So tell me.Why does a .308 bullet at a modest velocity, penetrate farther than a .338 or even farther than a 500 grain out of a 460 Weatherby let alone a 7MM and kill better?

Is it that shock 'n awe they call energy or what but the point being,the 30-06 with 220 grain bullets will out penetrate most every thing except the 510 grain out of a 458 Win Mag and only by a short distance.

Shot not exactly where we want it,we have all been there but the 338 Win Mag does not offer Superior penetration to the lowly 30-06 to get to the vitals,so why is it awesome?

Jayco

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jayco, beyond a certain point penetration is just goin' deeper into the tree behind the animal... unless it's a THS... no?

JWP, thinkin' you'll find that the post you keep quoting is from a while back. Kept carrying the rifle at 26", and just got more and more annoyed with it. Also put together another rifle that is getting me out to 600+ yards even more reliably than the 26" .338 was, so it became less of a gamble to chop it. And there were other considerations I won't go into here.

Why you even care, enough to be making/posting links to wierd little "puzzy hurts" videos, is the real question..............

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jayco, beyond a certain point penetration is just goin' deeper into the tree behind the animal... unless it's a THS... no?

There is some truth to that under ideal circumstances and the old broadside shot syndrome that is extinct to what it used to be here.If you want meat for the winter,you take the shot(within reason) presented and use enough bullet and gun to reach the vitals under sane circumstances..

I just don't see why the 338 Win Mag surpasses even the '06 here.So pardon me,I won't hail it..Yes I have seen it used on Elk more than a few times but as Shania Twain sang..That didn't impress me much compared to much lighter recoiling rifles.

Just another opinion!

Jayco

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I purposely shot a few of them in the guts

I just am getting my eyesight back from minor eye surgery and couldn't post.Someone posted that without one reply back thinking the 338/340 makes up for poor shot placement.

I can't believe not "one" reply to such a dumb chit post on an Elk hunting forum with new guys looking on.So I guess it is alright to purposely gut shoot Elk.

I am amazed.

Jayco

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JWP, thinkin' you'll find that the post you keep quoting is from a while back. Kept carrying the rifle at 26", and just got more and more annoyed with it. Also put together another rifle that is getting me out to 600+ yards even more reliably than the 26" .338 was, so it became less of a gamble to chop it. And there were other considerations I won't go into here.

Why you even care, enough to be making/posting links to wierd little "puzzy hurts" videos, is the real question

In case you don't know, They are funny, very funny

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by logcutter

I just am getting my eyesight back from minor eye surgery and couldn't post.Someone posted that without one reply back thinking the 338/340 makes up for poor shot placement.

I can't believe not "one" reply to such a dumb chit post on an Elk hunting forum with new guys looking on.So I guess it is alright to purposely gut shoot Elk.

I am amazed.

If you bothered to read it in its full CONTEXT you wouldnt be so amazed.

Jayco

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sundles
Originally Posted by logcutter

I am amazed.

Jayco

Jayco, If you'll go back to the entire post and read it in its full CONTEXT you wont be amazed at all and if by chance you are still amazed, then you simply are not capable of following the concept of using enough gun/cartridge to ensure the humane killing of old smart bulls that dont stand around in the open, broadside.......never mind.....just please go read the full thing with your brain fully engaged to the entire post and what it is about. Peoples lack of ability to follow a thought process and the reason for that process, never fails to dissapoint. Thanks.

Last edited by sundles; 12/22/10.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll answer your question: No nobody that hunts and shoots a lot, hits exactly where they mean to every time and YES a more pwerful cartridge can help enormously if your shot is not placed perfectly and further, the more "powerful" cartridges for elk hunting (like the 338's) allow you to take less than perfect shots and still be lethal. I've killed some very good 6X6, 6X7 and 7X7 bulls and most of those bulls were not holding still, or standing broadside in an open meadow. I purposely shot a few of them in the guts, or I was not going to get any shot at all and I recovered all of them easily since I was using 340 WBY's and 338 Win. Mags. on all of the really big bulls I've killed. Old bulls don't stand around in the open very much and if you want to kill big bulls, you need a cartridge that will allow you to take any crapy shot that the older bull may give you, or be prepared to pass on the crapy shots and end up settling for younger bulls if you use smaller cartridges.

One more thing: Killing a 5x5 raghorn or a cow is nothing like killing an older (8 yrs and older) bull. Those old bulls are MUCH tougher than the yougsters and the cows and unless you've actually killed a number of older bulls, you may not believe that.

Tim

While I agree with everything else you posted in that thread,I disagree on a public forum telling anyone it is Okie Dokie to gut shoot Elk,regardless of there size or caliber used.It's just wrong and some bozo just might think it is A Okay to do such with less than stellar results.

We go way back and I tip my hat to you on the Wolf thing but disagree on gut shooting Elk..So be it.

Hope all is well in Montana.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I caught the gutz thing, just choose to let it rest..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I caught the gutz thing, just choose to let it rest..

Dober

Yep, I've seen accidental gut shots turn out ok. But almost always it's a rodeo. If a hunting pard of mine tried to pull that I would be done.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't qualify as a "gut shot" to me if it destroys the heart or flattens both lungs.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree. Is it a gut shot if the angle is hard and the bullet transverse from there to the front and through the vitails?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yet the dreaded Texas Heart Shot is a bad word around here,as Ray Atkinson put it and got blasted for it.Ever gut out a gut shot anything the traditional way?

That's why there is the "No Gut" method.Chit happens but to intentional doing it?Why not just shoot there legs off first.

Some of you guys spend more money hunting racks than actual experience and nothing matters other than a kill anyway possible!

It's always about an 8X8 and a rifle leaving the barrel at Mock 3 or 10,000 yard kills,not about hunting ethically.

Jayco

Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.