Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Salmonella;
This is an interesting topic to read. Thanks for the thread and thanks to those who've responded.

When I was 15, one evening I decided that I needed to tighten the traction bars on the driver's side of my Pontiac Astra GT. I was in a rush that cold February night as it was about -40� that night and I was in an unheated shop, so I ran it up on a chain hoist attached to the rear bumper with a length of chain and a double hook.

Anyway, I'd just slid underneath to a sitting position when it fell on me.

The car smashed the back of my head pretty good and the front of my head got beat up when it hit my right knee. The muscles at the backs of my knees, my groin muscles and my lower back muscles were all torn. My ribs were severely bruised and most of my internal organs were crushed too. Lastly, the 11th and 12th vertebrae in my back were smashed to powder.

I was under there for a bit, but not too long though, as I couldn't breath under that car. I whispered - shouted - prayed, "God get me out of here".

Something lifted the car off of me, as I clearly recall looking at the rear bumper coming back down when I unfolded and looked up. I've come to believe it was likely angels, but I truly didn't see what or who did it. All I know was the car was lifted off me and I was very much alone as far as humans in the immediate vicinity went.

I tried to get up and my legs wouldn't uncross for me. I reached over and picked up my right leg and couldn't feel it when I moved it off my left leg. I knew then that it wasn't good. The pain is still tough to describe, maybe like being scalded over the top half of your body. It came in waves every time you'd breathe.

I decided I wasn't going to just lay there and die, so I tried to get to a phone. Unfortunately there was a piece of farm equipment backed into a pile of scrap metal in the shop that prevented me from getting to that phone. I crawled over to the metal pile and was laying there flipping metal out of the way when I was found by my older brother sometime later - maybe a half hour, I can't say.

We were way out in the sticks, about 45 minutes from a hospital, so my brother called the neighbor who had a station wagon. It wasn't plugged in, but it started anyway and they slid me on a chunk of plywood and into the back of the Ford.

On the way in, I almost crossed over - I could feel the other side is the only way I can put it. The pain was pretty intense by that point and I was forcing myself to breathe as every breath brought significant discomfort.

They got me to the local hospital whereupon the local expert on such matters was awakened and came to have a look at me. After viewing all the X-rays and seeing my condition, he suggested to my brother that he call the rest of my family to come and watch me die, as that was all he expected of me at that point.

They shot enough Demerol into me to stagger a pony, I suppose to make the journey better for me. My eldest sister is an RN and later told me she'd never seen anyone my weight get that much Demerol with such frequency. The first few days are lost to me now, a blur of pain and pain meds that didn't really do much.

Well as T Lee said, it wasn't my day to check out, so I spent 7 weeks in the hospital, about 5 or so in a Stryker frame. I walked out with a pronounced limp, but ambulatory nonetheless.

Shorty after my release another surgeon advised me to change the plans I had for my life, that I shouldn't lift heavy stuff, ride motorcycles or horses, ski, play any contact sports - you know - be careful and sedentary in general.

I thanked him politely and spent the summer running a large and very rough tractor. I've skied, rode motorcycles and horses and done more than my share of moving large objects by hand since then, so I guess he was wrong that time.

Folks sometimes ponder what they'd change in their lives if they had a "do over" and I'll say right now I'd not pass the previous experience by if I was to receive one.

I believe that moment allowed me to have a unique perspective on what things in my life matter and what would prove to be less important. Many times that has proven to be a precious gift indeed.

Anyway Salmonella, I didn't mean to take up so much bandwidth, but that was my scrape. All the best to you and yours in the upcoming Christmas season and all the best to you all in 2011.

Regards,
Dwayne

...and I have no doubt that the world is better off because of Gods good wisdom keeeping you alive.

Merry Christmas!

I'll echo that sentiment

imo the world and especially this cyberfire we like to pull a log up to are far better served with men like Dwayne present.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've lived a good life and never taken chances or allowed myself to get into a situation where I might get hurt. I especially never ran with scissors. whistle

Actually I'd forgotten how many close calls I've had until I started reading this thread...water, flipping a boat, a rock off a cliff, electricity (mostly 7,200 and 12,470), flipping a car, screwdriver through my hardhat, a mad husband with a pistol whistle... I guess maybe I could have gotten away with running with scissors after all.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hutch
I have the upmost respect for Hi-Voltage.

A rogue ghost from my another-life past told me once of a time he and a cohort were stealing metal from abandoned/condemned buildings. They also did post-catastrophic fire stuff. Vulture salvage crap. Scumbags. This time, basement is knee deep in water. Large cable. Heavy duty bolt cutter. Flashlights. "Hey, boss, cut this one?" From upstairs: "Yeah, I guess. Just hurry up"

BOOM. ZAP. ZAP. ZAP.

Game over. Very few cried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a brand new Springfield Garand blow up in my face. I mean BLOW UP. Stock in 13 pieces, powder burns, etc.

Was hill climbing on my snowmobile and somehow rolled it. It rolled over me several times and everyone thought it broke my neck. had a gash 1/2" deep and 6" long in my helmet from something

Almost ended it for a little boy today also. Was on my way to work and was going up a little hill. Right at the crest of the hill is a side road with a bunch of snow piled up. Just as I passed that road, a little boy about 5 or 6 years old was sitting there on his 4 wheeler about to cross the road and he was not looking my way. I never saw him until I passed. I have no idea if he saw me and waited or what but it scared me so bad I could not stop shaking for the next hour. Almost changed some lives forever. Thank the lord that he was looking out for that little boy and me this afternoon.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
On a warm early spring day in northern MN, buds and I were goofing around down by the creek as we always did. It was dang near hot for that time of year 70's or so in April.

They decided to jump in a hole in the creek and have a quick swim.

I jumped in and the water was so cold my whole body froze. I couldn't even call for help. My friend Matt grabbed me after a few seconds of noticing I was just sinking instead of moving.

I think it took me a week to warm up.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Several instances where a couple of inches in another direction would have ended it quite swiftly. I value each and every day.

1Minute
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ive been a target a couple of times, but for some reason I dont feel they were the closest. The closest was very similar to the first post. Crossed a river chasing trout below a dam. the sirens sounded. I waited a minute or two. The water began rising so fast I didnt make it across. I stepped on the edge of a gravel bar and it just vanished beneath my feet. I was swept downstram into a couple of trees laid over in the water. The 3' tree struck me at the knees and for some reason I bent my legs. The force of the water sent me over the log rather than under. I grabbed a hold of a small limb and the current swung me to the trunk where I climbed out. I walked seven miles through a jungle to the road where a group of bystanders came to get me. For some reason That was the worst, maybe because I was defenseless. The other occasions, I was was not.

Many others but they seem trivial in comparison.

Joseph

Joseph
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had a couple of instances where someone with a gun decided that the world would be a better place without me. I think the only reason I'm still around is because God has something else planned for me. Whatever it is, I hope I don't do it any time soon.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lets see:

When I was about 8 years old, I woke up from a nap enduring a Asthma attack. I was with out oxygen for about a minute and a half, two minutes or so. My mom and grandma and I got into the car and started hauling ass to the hospital. As soon as we got started going my lungs opened up and I was good to go.

Another was when I was about 10 years old, out on one of my first hunts. My dad and I were coming down a mountain and he was teacing me how to walk down a hill... Side ways feet etc.. I walked straight down the mountain and got my momentum going forward and couldnt stop. I was literally running as fast as I could down the mountain with out being able to stop. I was about to hit a 40 or so foot cliff. Thank god there was a good size manzanita bush there to stop me or I might have been in SERIOUS trouble!

forgot this one:

One day, my best buddy and I were out for a jog in Tucson.. A Monsoon decided to roll in as we were on mile 3 of 4. We were crossing a bridge when I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.... Lightning literally struck within 50 yards of us hitting a tree. Shooting a 300 RUM with a muzzle brake and no hearing protection had NOTHING on that thunder. Him and I were both captins on the team, him being about 5'11 190 lbs with something crazy like 5% body fat... I was 6'3 250 lbs.... I beat him back to my house and we were both RUNNING! Guess I was the bigger pussy at that time!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Went out the windshield of a truck that rolled. This was on the 10 outside of Indio back in the mid 70's.

Another time was the last day I was with my friend Mark. Mark's brother kept a Model 98 8X57 Mauser loaded on the wall. When the door was slammed, it fell and discharged. I dodged a bullet that day. Mark didn't. I miss him.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one that I can remember,

I was about 17 and was squirrel hunting. Walked up to the passengers side of a friends truck after he pulled up. Another friend was sitting in there and had the barrel of his 12 ga. sticking out of the window.

I was talking to them all the while looking down, trying to kick the mud off my boots when I heard a BOOM.

Seems like when I was looking down, the guy sitting in the passengers seat moved the shotgun back towards me and it went off.

I was wearing an old felt cowboy hat that had belonged to my grand dad and the load hit the right side of the brim and took it off my head. Had powder hit me on the side of the face as well.

Still got that hat.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several times over the years. Mostly farm work related. I'll only recount one. I was mowing using an old Farmall tractor and an 8' brush hog. Just a big kid. Ran over an old roll of barbed wire. Somehow a strand of wire reached out and louped around my chest. Drug me off the tractor backward. I have no idea how but by the grace of God I kicked the tractor out of gear and hit the pto lever with my hand as I went off the tractor. When the dust settled the blade on that brush hog cut my cheek on its last revolution.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Three times that I can think of.

Weiners are health food - My dad
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Yep...I was on the toilet in Bristoe's basement when he thought it a good time to use the vanity to sight in a new 38 he bought.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man,

You gotta quit digging in folks litter boxes.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's where he keeps the Ketel One!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Several times.
Just a breath or inch from the end.

Just wasn't my time yet.
Glad yours worked out as well.

One day it will be our time.
I'm ready, bring it on!

Last edited by ColsPaul; 12/23/10.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Put me in the too many to mention camp....odd thing is I usually come out without a scratch...only two trips to the ER that I can remember...
Lots of weird and diverse schitt though, spider,bomb, guns,water...
As someone else intimated these incidents slowed up gradually as I got older...coincidence??? whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just once, that I can remember.. On the sub - can't remember where we were, but I was in the Conn on the helm (USS Redfish) when we got the 'dive' klaxon.. Lookouts dropped through the ladder followed by the OOD.. When he grabbed the lanyard to close the hatch, it broke off, the hatch sprang back fully open...and we were goin' DOWN..

Emergency blow and luck got the dive stopped before the conn got flooded, but if it hadn't - the OOD, Conning officer, Quartermaster and I would not be here today.. Found out later the sea was less than a foot below that hatch when we started back up..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow Dwayne, that was quite the near-death experience! Glad your still among the living.

I've had 3 brushes that really stand out as being the ones that could have sent me towards the bright light. In each case it involved heavy equipment and steep hillsides while growing up on the farm/ranch.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.