-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On account of my eyes have gotten fuzzy in recent years, I'm needing to scope my ol' Marlin...

[Linked Image]

I found a Burris Scout 2.75 x 20 locally, now I am looking to mount it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=606819#productTabReviews

The xxsights set-up (formerly Ashley Outdoors) seems to be the only game in town, any other places I should look?

http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html

Any suggestions as to rings would be much appreciated also.

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Other than it works great what would like to know??? I mounted three for myseld and several for other people...all with the XS LeverScout mounts...

These are my two .41s...a 1894S and 1894LTD.

[Linked Image]

On the 1894S there is a Williams Foolproof mounted on the side of the receiver. The 1894LTD has a Brockman peepsight mounted on to of the receiver as Marlin stupidly stopped drilling/tapping the side of the receiver of peep sights. I hated the FO sights so the front bead was replaced witha XS white line serrated ramp. This gives backup sights for the scout scope...

As to rings and the Burris, you may need to go to a Medium Height. Try the Leupld QD in matte back Low as it is about the same height as a Weaver Medium. I have the Burris IER scope on a Stag #3 mounted on a 4" ARMS SWAN rail and love it. The two scopes on the Marlins are now 60s vintage Leupolds...

One thing on mounting the LevrScout Mount...if you follow the directions given by XS the front dovetail post can break from stress. They tell you to tighten it down first then the rceiver screws....wrong. Level everything out and shim the rear two screws with small brass washers until the mount goes down level and even... Mine broke while shooting. XS replaced the stud free and then I put it on correctly....when I asked their tech about it he was there.."yea, you can do it that way"... I also asked them why they didn't make the mount the whole length of the receiver so a shooter could mount their Weaver clamp on peep sight or removing the scout scope could also mount a standard scope... They said the "couldn't" because it would be too hard to machine somthing that long...two years later they now have the full length mount for the 1895...but not yet for the 1894...

Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you sir, exactly the kind of info I was needing.

Pardon my ignorance but would one find the necessary little brass washers in a gun store?

Also, did ya need to file down the dovetail mount much to get it to fit?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 18 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.