Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a remington 742 auto in .243 win. and was wondering if i can take the barrel off and put on another 742 that is chambered in .308 win. The reason for this my .243 win is screwed except for the barrel. I have a buddy who own's 2 742 's in .308 and want to switch barrel's so he will have a nice little coyote rifle. Anyinfo would be appreciated , thank's Rick. PS. Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear everyone.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Just did the same with an -06 and a 280. Used the barrel and bolt head of the 280 onto the -06 frame. Worked fine.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I will second that opinion.
The head space is determined by the lock up of the bolt face.
If your rifle is screwed - chances are the locking lugs on the bolt face is also messed up.

I would just try to swap the barrel and then take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked, if it is ok - then you are in business, if it is too big - then you need to find another bolt.

Most people with a 742 complains that the bolt caused damage internally to the action - usually caused by people trying to shoot too hot a load in the auto loader. Makes the action open and close faster then it was designed to do.
Or a lack of lubrication or preventive maintenance.

Maybe you can parts the gun out and get most if not all your money back out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the gems do keep rolling!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite Douchebeer gem:

"I don't want to upset someone here with my knowledge - but I am a machinist."

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by swampdogger
I have a remington 742 auto in .243 win. and was wondering if i can take the barrel off and put on another 742 that is chambered in .308 win. The reason for this my .243 win is screwed except for the barrel. I have a buddy who own's 2 742 's in .308 and want to switch barrel's so he will have a nice little coyote rifle. Anyinfo would be appreciated , thank's Rick. PS. Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear everyone.
They should swap rather easily..

Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
I will second that opinion.
The head space is determined by the lock up of the bolt face.
If your rifle is screwed - chances are the locking lugs on the bolt face is also messed up.

I would just try to swap the barrel and then take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked, if it is ok - then you are in business, if it is too big - then you need to find another bolt.

Most people with a 742 complains that the bolt caused damage internally to the action - usually caused by people trying to shoot too hot a load in the auto loader. Makes the action open and close faster then it was designed to do.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And the gems do keep rolling!
'Gem', is an apt description.. Geez..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For what it's worth, I think you could actually swap with a 30-06. Ive looked at doing it with the 760s and I am pretty sure the only difference is the filler in the magazine.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank's guy's, that is what i figured, just swap barrel's. I had this gun fixed 3 time's up here , and 3 time's it broke. The gun was a sentimental thing, my buddy gave it to me before he passed away, but after fixing it 3 time's by these guy's up here that call themselve's gunsmith's, enough is enough. I could have purchased a new rifle for what it cost in Smitty work. Anyway, thank's again guy's, i'll let you's know how it work's. Rick. Happy Newyear.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
My favorite Douchebeer gem:

"I don't want to upset someone here with my knowledge - but I am a machinist."

I wouldn't let you fix my bicycle.

I probably have more machinist tools then you do!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by MILES58
For what it's worth, I think you could actually swap with a 30-06. Ive looked at doing it with the 760s and I am pretty sure the only difference is the filler in the magazine.

The length of the action and the port opening on the side of the action is smaller for a .243 then for a .30-06 Springfield.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The length of the action and the port opening on the side of the action is smaller for a .243 then for a .30-06 Springfield.

I am fairly certain you are mistaken about the length of the action. IIRC, there is only one action for the series of pumps, regardles of calibre.

Last edited by like2shoot; 12/28/10.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by like2shoot

I am fairly certain you are mistaken about the length of the action. IIRC, there is only one action for the series of pumps, regardles of calibre.
'Fairly' can go to 'absolutely'.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by like2shoot

'Fairly' can go to 'absolutely'.. laugh

wink

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow! You gots some tools!

Dude, I make money fixing the chit guys "with tools" [bleep] up every day.

I'm sure, by looking at your posts here, that some guys are doing very well there in Pennsylvania cleaning up the chit you leave behind with your "tools". grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Wow! You gots some tools!

Dude, I make money fixing the chit guys "with tools" [bleep] up every day.

I'm sure, by looking at your posts here, that some guys are doing very well there in Pennsylvania cleaning up the chit you leave behind with your "tools". grin
laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.