Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff,
As an aside to the thread. We used to have a bunch close by. Not so much any longer, and it entails a 2hour drive to get to many birds. Not ready to throw in the towel, so we do it.

The 6x42 is a great all-round scope in my opinion, and enough here with experience use it successfully that you will not get any argument from me. However, there are times I prefer something else.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The grouse here are very cyclical, but, there hasn't been an "up" cycle in a loooong time near me.

There used to be more; in fact, when we first bought our land ~20 years ago, we had grouse in our woods! I never killed them but for whatever reason, they died or left.

On topic: interestingly, the scopes I've come to prefer often have their longest ER around 5x or 6x. If all I used were Leup's (with their Amazing Incredible Shortening Eye Relief, lol) I'd be more impressed with the 6x42's ER. Since it smokes say a 2.5-8's ER when set to 6x. But my Conquests and Swaro are right in their sweetest spot at those powers... if I want 6x with a phatty eye box and long ER.... I've got it...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anywhere I hunt is 6x Country..I hunt Turkey Birds, Fish and Hog hunt the same spots......like these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would use one here without reservation:

[Linked Image]

Although I didn't use one here, it wouldn't bother me to do so:

[Linked Image]

I did use one here:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Sam and Big Stick
Nice pics, I hunt the same type country as Sam. I also hunt Northern MN. I can't find anythinbg wrong with the fixed 6's although my fave is the 6x36 and I do have a 6x42 fxIII. Bought a weaver 6x Friday here on the fire am anxious to give it a try on the 22-250.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still my favorite,6x42 at 700yds+..............

Rink

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That video is funny.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try shooting that good,when you are laffin' THAT hard.

I got skeelz..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't doubt that.... grin

It wasn't your skeelz I thought was funny.....I expected you to hit it..

It's the rifle flying through the air that cracked me up... smile

....and breaking in the barrel...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunning tidy Agg's less a bullseye,takes a leetle concentration...which belly laffin' do not aid.

Wasn't holding as hard as I know I'm able,for them reasons..................

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Gunning tidy Agg's less a bullseye,takes a leetle concentration...

Yes it does.... grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try shooting that good,when you are laffin' THAT hard.

I got skeelz..................

laugh It had to be hard! laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't know.

I crack ME up...............(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by natman
6x is a fine fixed power choice **for wide open country**. If your shots are going to be less than 100 yards in deep cover, why in the world do you need 6x? You would be far better off with the faster acquisition offered by a 2 or 2.5x than being hindered with more magnification than you need. If you occasionally need a bit more magnification, get a 1.5x-5 variable.

You read too much and shoot too little...............

Have you got an actual point or just do you just feel like insulting someone?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
battue and Bruzer,

Just in the spirit of conversation, the stuff I sometimes find myself hunting blacktails in is way thicker than those pics. Especially Bruzer's pics.

I'll try to see what I can dig up when I get home. Pics of thick chit are hard to convey, as you guys probably realize...

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/27/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you guys use the heavy duplex reticle on the 6x42 for the thick stuff?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In the 6x36 I've used the post and duplex-very similar-along with same in the 1.5x5 and it is hard not to like. However very shortly a few scopes are going back to Leupold for their 3min Leupold floating dot. Know I'm the odd ball out. Used one again this year and for some reason they work the easiest for me. My eye goes to it the quickest, paste and hit he trigger, especially if things are happening quick. Also works well for ranging. Not the best in low light, but I can live with that.

However, for those raised on cross-hairs the HD/PD is hard to beat for tight cover.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
battue and Bruzer,

Just in the spirit of conversation, the stuff I sometimes find myself hunting blacktails in is way thicker than those pics. Especially Bruzer's pics.

I'll try to see what I can dig up when I get home. Pics of thick chit are hard to convey, as you guys probably realize...

Jeff,

Those are shots of the fields we hunt with the kids for Doe......these are row crops of beans,Corn and Peanuts....the bucks won't be found out there until waaaaay past legal light.

This is what I hunt normally...and these are considered open woods here....I don't take pics from my thicket stands...as there is little point...it's just green...but I will this season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by leomort
Do you guys use the heavy duplex reticle on the 6x42 for the thick stuff?

Nope, went to the HD for a littl ebetter than a year and bought a bunch of new scopes to force myself to use. When nothing changed and I still hated them I dumped them all through the classifieds here mostly, and felt I was doing a disservice doing it...

And it has nothing to do with the how they preform on paper as the reticle just needs to match the target and tiny groups can be had.

They cover too much and do nothing for me in low light.
YMMV

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Friggin' camera is going with me the last couple days of this week/season, just for "thick schit" shots.

A few pics of laurel thickets, creek bottoms, pine/slash stands, cut-overs, and the like MIGHT just get a clue throught the PNW azzshooter that 'thick schit' is WELL understood by folks who can also managed to shoot the front (versus the rear) shoulders.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.