Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've owned a couple of their classic line from the old days (Made in Effingham, IL) for many years. They're among the knives I've owned not as users, but just to collect and enjoy owning them. Today I took them both out to fool with and try to get a feel for their qualities. I was very impressed. Both have carbon steel blades (says so right on them), are beautifully full convex ground, and are literally both razor sharp, even after all these years. Never been used, but somehow you don't think knives will stay that level of sharpness for so many years (Seems like nearly 20 years that I've had them, but I can't be sure). Glides through paper like it's not there, to the point you can do little zig zag patterns as you're cutting. I have a new found respect for the original Blackjack brand.

There's a new company who bought the name Blackjack and the company logo, but has nothing at all to do with the original company, and is more than likely putting out complete crap.

The two I own are called the Classic Model #1-7 (a stag handled copy of an original Randall design intended for combat application), and the Classic Chucker, which is a compact, leather washer handled, skinner.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
From what I read, bark river is making the"classic" blackjack knives here in the usa. They did sell their name to someone that makes their other lines in Japan, and they probably are crap.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a fer of the original Blackjack knives and I agree their quality is excellent. I really wish I had bought one of the Guide knives with the leather handle before they went out of business.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ndhill1976
From what I read, bark river is making the"classic" blackjack knives here in the usa. They did sell their name to someone that makes their other lines in Japan, and they probably are crap.

I didn't know that. Bark River makes excellent knives. I have a few of them.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I have a fer of the original Blackjack knives and I agree their quality is excellent. I really wish I had bought one of the Guide knives with the leather handle before they went out of business.
Is this the one you're thinking of? This is called the Trailguide, and www.knivesshipfree.com has one like it for about $170.00, if you're interested. Says made in the USA, so it must be one that Bark River is making for that name brand.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one of the original pangas that I have used for a long time and a Texas Bowie that is unused. The panga is a work horse. Quality is excellent.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Is this the one you're thinking of? This is called the Trailguide, and www.knivesshipfree.com has one like it for about $170.00, if you're interested. Says made in the USA, so it must be one that Bark River is making for that name brand.

[Linked Image]

TRH, Yes, that is the knife. Thanks for the info.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Blackjack in Effingham was owned by Mike Steward and went out of business in 1997. Blackjack is now only a brand name not a company. The brand is owned by Blue Ridge knives. Mike now runs Bark River and makes Blackjack Classic Blades for Blue Ridge in the BR shop in MI. The Effingham and new ones are excellent. Effingham knives have become very collectable.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Blackjack in Effingham was owned by Mike Steward and went out of business in 1997. Blackjack is now only a brand name not a company. The brand is owned by Blue Ridge knives. Mike now runs Bark River and makes Blackjack Classic Blades for Blue Ridge in the BR shop in MI. The Effingham and new ones are excellent. Effingham knives have become very collectable.
Thanks. That was very informative. Good to hear it. It makes sense to me that the old Blackjack knives were made by the same guy who now owns Bark River. They are made almost exactly to the same standards. Good also to know that the same guy is still making knives under the Blackjack brand name. I like some of the models they offer, which are slightly less refined versions of Randall knives, but with a full convex grind (which is actually better, IMHO, than the micro v grind Randall uses), and using high grade carbon steels such as A-2 and 1095. Not sure what kind of steel Randall uses, though I'm sure it's also excellent.

PS After hearing this information, I just placed an order for this Blackjack 125.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe I heard somewhere that he also was responsible for making the early knives that came out of the re-established Marble's knives, i.e., those made in Gladstone, MI.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At one time, Randall used O1 for his carbon steel blades and 440B for his stainless blades.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You will like the 125. I have two. I believe when Mike S. shut down Blackjack in Effingham he took a position with Marbles in MI. Mike is on the Blackjack forum on Kniveforums.com frequently and can answer any specific questions you may have. I have collected about 18 Effingham Blackjacks in the last couple years and it has become as addictive as collecting Savage 99's. My wife refers to them as my "Eff'n Knives".

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 54Woody
You will like the 125. I have two. I believe when Mike S. shut down Blackjack in Effingham he took a position with Marbles in MI. Mike is on the Blackjack forum on Kniveforums.com frequently and can answer any specific questions you may have. I have collected about 18 Effingham Blackjacks in the last couple years and it has become as addictive as collecting Savage 99's. My wife refers to them as my "Eff'n Knives".
Eff'n knives. grin I like that.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I actually have two of the original Trailguides. Mine, and the one my father bought at the same time. I brought my fathers home after he passed away.

I've spoken with Mike a time or two on the phone, pleasant guy and always willing to talk to customers...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 45 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,875
Posts18,478,865
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.