Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
May get flamed for this, but for a true hard-use folder with no-questions-asked repair policy from a high end maker, consider Strider knives:

http://www.bluelinegear.com/c-15-strider-folders.aspx

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strider knives are big money!

If I had a kid in Afghanistan and wanted to send him a knife, I'd consider it, but they're $400 and up. Blade magazine had one of their knives by a guy named Dwyer that was like $4,000. Big money.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not my grand dad's style pocket knife... but I carry a good old Swiss Army knife. Actually I have a beat up, knock off type Swiss Army knife, that I bought at Walmart for like $4.00, and leave the real Swiss Army knife at home using the knock off knife for daily use in case I break it or lose it...

darn thing has lasted me 10 years so far...my Swiss Army knife I have had since in was in the Army in the late 70s...

My step dad, gave the one to my son that he carried while serving in Vietnam in the mid to late 1960s...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Case trapper with yellow handles, just like the one T LEE posted.

Last year I replaced (stuck it in the safe) it with a stag horn Case trapper with stainless blades, to keep it from rusting in my sweaty pockets.

It holds an edge way better than I thought it would.

And, YEP! big boys LOVE pocket knifes! I'm always looking for another.

Kinda goes with the gun loonieism.

Virgil B.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good thread! I like my Benchmade and I carry it most of the time. But I also carry a Leatherman all of the time. I have a smaller Leatherman that is so much more versatile than just having a blade. I like that. I also really like my Beretta Airlight WITHOUT the skeletonized blade as it is so slim. I take than when going in to the home office for work cuz we arent supposed to have pocket knives. whistle

I dont like the skeletonized blade because it collects dirt and grime big time and then I dont like cutting food with it.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Earlier someone posted that the best place to get a good quality American made knife is in an antique store. I agree, cause I have been doing that for several years. Things like pocketknives and tools are known as "mantiques" in the industry, I have learned.
Here is a picture of my latest buy, a PAL Cutlery pocketknife. Some prior owner had used a file on the main blade, leaving major scratch marks, but I have managed to remove most of them by sanding with 600 grit every night for 15 minutes or so. I am pleased with it now. It cost maybe 15 bucks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by picturerock
[Linked Image]

Earlier someone posted that the best place to get a good quality American made knife is in an antique store. I agree, cause I have been doing that for several years. Things like pocketknives and tools are known as "mantiques" in the industry, I have learned.
Here is a picture of my latest buy, a PAL Cutlery pocketknife. Some prior owner had used a file on the main blade, leaving major scratch marks, but I have managed to remove most of them by sanding with 600 grit every night for 15 minutes or so. I am pleased with it now. It cost maybe 15 bucks.
That's a nice classic. I will have to start hitting the antique shops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The Axis lock is reputedly the best available for safety - IIRC DocRocket stated he'd never had to stitch up anyone due to an accidental failure of the lock.

Funny, I had a Mini Griptilian a couple of years back and the lock broke...Well not actually the lock, but theres a small "omega" shaped spring in there, and it was that which broke.

I did a search on line afterwards and found it was a fairly common fault, common enough that Benchmade would ship out replacement springs at the asking...

I returned mine as it was still under warrenty, but took a refund..It may have been that was a batch with bad springs and its now been sorted, but it put me off them.

Replaced it with a cheap CRKT M16 and that has been very functional, but the steel in the blade is not the greatest..Also, I am not a huge fan of liner locks on knives that might be used for gralloching a carcass...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a hollow ground blades. Good chance any brand that does that makes a OK knife.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank you Gentlemen, and Lady, for all your help and suggestions. I will be acquiring two pocket knives for my son, one for everyday, and one for dressier occasions. I plan to stop tomorrow afternoon at a Cabela's in Gonzales, LA to see what they have to offer there, and if they have the everyday one I want. If not I will order online.

Lynn

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Thank you Gentlemen, and Lady, for all your help and suggestions. I will be acquiring two pocket knives for my son, one for everyday, and one for dressier occasions. I plan to stop tomorrow afternoon at a Cabela's in Gonzales, LA to see what they have to offer there, and if they have the everyday one I want. If not I will order online.

Lynn

One little question, Lynn. Is the name Gonzales a French name?

Good luck on your shopping.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And thank you MissLynn, for starting a thoroughly enjoyable thread. Thank your son as well for his much appreciated service to our country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading this thred I decided I NEEDED a new pocket knife.

Went to a local knife shop which has lots of benchmade knifes, and picked out one similar to Steelheads, but with a stainless 2-7/8" blade.

They are having a 30% off sale, so I took advantage of it.

Hope it holds an edge.

Virgil B.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have had my new buck 271 pocket knife just short of a week, lost it last night somehow.

WTF?

I'm 40 fuggin years old, not 9!! Grr!! mad

I've got a little buck lancer at home that I carried for 20 years, it's not lost...

seriously... 5 days? 5 days is all it took me to lose a new knife?

crazy

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Early old timers setting in Dave! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Time to face the facts I guess...

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What were we talking about again?????

Confused in FL. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Shhh! Time for Matlock, pass the bran flakes...

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang, I was hoping it was time for my nap.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

Don't feel bad, I lost an AL MAR custom folder a cupple years back.

Dang near cried over that one!

Virgil B.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 47 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.