Home
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
looking for more of a traditional pocket knife, pen knife? Maybe a more modern clip knife? (those are nice, dont end up sideways in the bottom of your pocket)

This will be a fun thread regardless.

Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I have always been fond of Boker, and Kershaw.

For more classic, old style pocket knives I have always had good luck with Case.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Yeah Lynn, there is a BUNCH of styles. Couldja give us all a bit better idea of what ya have in mind??
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Not traditional, but a good knife and one I carry all the time.

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptiliandroppointplainedgeolivedrabhandle1.aspx

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
A lot is going to depend on what a pocket knife is used for as to what type to get.
I've carried a pocket knife since I was old enough to wear long pants. Use it every day for something or other.

My current is a 4inch three blade stockman by Boker.

BCR
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Case Trapper.
I like Trappers also, but for a daily knife I like one that can get put into action QUICKLY and with one hand.

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn
As for high-dollar, heirloom-type knives, others here can advise you better than me. As far as knives that are generally available and not extremely expensive, I like Kershaw the best. They are mostly made here, but if that is important to you (it is to me), you still have to check the individual knife.

They make a number of just plain knives-one blade. They are razor sharp and hold their edge most excellently. This is in contrast to modern Buck's and Schrade's. (Other brands made here...sometimes.) I'm not great at knife sharpening and I've had a couple for nearly a year now and they are still razor sharp, despite being used a lot.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by northern_dave
looking for more of a traditional pocket knife, pen knife? Maybe a more modern clip knife? (those are nice, dont end up sideways in the bottom of your pocket)

This will be a fun thread regardless.

I guess I had traditional in mind, but it doesn't have to be. It just needs to be functional, not too heavy, and definitely something that will last awhile.

He would use it mostly I guess for small everyday projects, he already has a several larger knives for hunting and carving.

Lynn
Posted By: Ready Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Carry this right no:

[img]http://www.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/celum_assets/8797929340958_0_3303_Bild2_1331_eps.jpg?4[/img]

Use this for work (hunting):

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Case...hands down.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Lynn,

Lately, I have been favoring little fixed blade knives that just carry in the front pocket, in a leather sheath.
This one was made in the UK by Lance Ockenden. His work is very functional the craftsmanship is unsurpassed. His steel is O1.
[Linked Image]]
back filled file work goes around the entire handle. Lance makes his own mosaic pins as well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Something with good steel, about a 2 1/2 to 3" blade and thin, so it isn't noticeable in your pocket. My latest that I haven't lost yet is a Gerber and it works quite well.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I usually carry either a Victorinox Secretary or Pioneer. The steel on both knives is very good and keeps an edge well. The secretary is light as a feather and I can't even feel it in my pocket. The Pioneer is durable and has a bottle opener, can opener and 2 size of screwdrivers that I tend to use alot. If you are looking for an heirloom quality knife or something special I would look for a Cripple Creek knife on ebay.

ddj

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Secretary-Pocket-Silver/dp/B0007QCO6U

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Pioneer-Pocket-Knife/dp/B000687B4O
Posted By: EWY Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
For a traditional pocket knife I have liked Case brand knives for a long time.

Ernie
Posted By: Ringman Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptiliandroppointplainedgeolivedrabhandle1.aspx

That is realy lookin' good.
just check them over well, the "china" stamped on the blade of a knife we knew as classics as kids can kind of suck the classic right out of a nice little knife.

And if it comes in a clear hard plastic package they will always put the china stamped side of the blade to the back so you can't see it until you open the package.

May not matter but it's a deal maker or breaker for me.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like Trappers also, but for a daily knife I like one that can get put into action QUICKLY and with one hand.

I'm thinking boy here. More than likely he's gonna lose it at some point.
Her BOY is in the US Army.
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
At any given time I will be carrying a Spyderco Carbon Fiber Military, Kershaw Leek or Spyderco Endura 4. The two Spydercos are on the largish side for some tastes but I'm hard on knives and often make use of the heavier blades.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
http://kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=2&brand=kershaw

I've got three, I think. This one is my favorite. It's a very small knife. I doubt price is a big thing but they are commonly encountered on sale at Walmart for like, $25. I don't know if this model is, as I got mine at Cabela's for $19.95 on sale. A lot of one-handed opening knives...don't. This one does and is very near a switchblade. You got to USE the lock on it as you don't want it opening in your pants. I kept feeling something rubbing me raw when I got my first Kershaw. I investigated and had blood on my thigh. Luckily it hadn't stabbed anything important, but that one now resides in my tractor full-time, for cutting baler twine. My other two have locks. Kershaws open EASILY.

Oh.... duh.
Posted By: rattler Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
a cheap one grin i cant keep a good one around, soon as i buy a decent pocket knife its lost inside a month, ive got two that i found that i carry that seem impossible to loose, i may misplace them for a week or two but they always turn back up.....the one im positive i could toss out in the middle of the lake and it would still manage to show back up....
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Miss Lynn,

I agree with the Case Stockman for a "traditional" pocketknife.
Three blades of different shapes for different uses, holds an edge well, and should last for years if it isn't used as a pry-bar, screwdriver, or can opener.

I carry the twin of Steelhead's Benchmade Griptilian for heavy-duty cutting and an antique Stockman for more delicate work.

Ed
Posted By: picturerock Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
A Case stockman, whittler or muskrat would be good options, although Canal Street makes some real nice pocketknives as well. I use one almost every day.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Lynn, knives are kind of like is a 270 or 30-06 better. Thousands of different knives are on the market. I use self assist at this time. Most of us will have 10 to 20 knives on hand at any time. So that all means best of luck in your search.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

A Ken Onion one hander by Kershaw for my "city" knife and a full size Buck 110 folder when I'm at the ranch.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Oh.... duh.

Sorry, should have mentioned he is 27 years old.

But thanks for thinking I was young enough to have a little one grin
This is MY favorite knife. I always have one of this style in my pocket. I use it for everything but cooking and filleting fish.

[Linked Image]
Pat is your age and he has a LITTLE one.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

Thanks,

Lynn
Here you go: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/M.S.A.-Marbles

If you don't find something there, that site has lots of different high end makes of pocket knives to peruse. Just explore the hyperlinked categories to the left. This one would be nice.

[Linked Image]
So...you WERE looking.
I will mention that the two Schrades that I have bought recently (trapper and a stockman) both have been kind of a bummer. They both rust freckle badly on the blades only from normal carry, and neither will hold and edge much.

In my experience Kershaws, and Boker seem to come shaving sharp, and hold their edge for a long time.
I just got another Boker for Christmas, it the new Boker Tom Krein Pocket Bowie Neck Knife. Not a pocket knife particularly but a damned hand, and wicked sharp little gem for sure.
Case Trapper.
Can't go wrong with that, but she has now specified high tech, tactical looking, folders, so I guess that's out.
Can't beat Benchmade then.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I been carring one of these for a couple years,seems to be holding up pretty well,considering the beating it gets everyday.I dont like to carry expensive knives,because I often lose them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

Lynn:

You don't say for on-duty or off-duty carry. A folding one-handed lockback is always good, but if, say, your son wears a lot of webbing on-duty, or is in and out of trucks and may need to cut stuff off of himself or somebody else in a hurry, Spyderco makes some one-handed folders with all-serrated blades that are highly regarded.

- Tom
I still can't recommend a knife that requires 2 hands to get into use for the one everyday carry.

That said, you could get him a good one hand open type knife and another 'stylish' type pocket knife.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Miss Lynn;
You have received some very good suggestions already.

I favor mainly single bladed knives for daily carry. The only off shore brand or perhaps better said non US or Japanese manufactured knives that I like are those from CRKT which are made in Taiwan, but have remarkable quality for the price- in our experience anyway.

Here is a small sample of some that I've carried daily at work and or hunting that I can recommend.
[Linked Image]

Left to right they are, a Spyderco Delica, a Benchmade (no longer made though), a Spyderco Centofante III, a Spyderco Native, a SOG Twitch II and a very old Leatherman Wave.

Of those, I wouldn't buy the partially serrated blade as seen on the Benchmade again and I've quit carrying the Twitch II, because it plugged with pocket lint very easily.

My current favorites are the Buck Vantage series, here is a couple of Vantage Pro knives, which go for about $50-$60 on ebay.
[Linked Image]

In my seemingly endless search for "the perfect knife", the Vantage series has come closer than any other - for me.

Hopefully that was some use to you. All the best to you and your family in 2011.

Regards,
Dwayne

That said, you could get him a good one hand open type knife and another 'stylish' type pocket knife.

Top notch idea there. Everyone needs a "dress" pocket knife, and a working one too.
Pat is your age and he has a LITTLE one.

Oh.... duh.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

[Linked Image]

Miss Lynn, the knife pictured above is one of the best choices you can make for a Serious Social Purposes pocket knife. I carry its twin in my right front pocket at this moment, as it happens, and I did not choose it at random.

One must take into account the intended purpose of the knife, first thing. Is it intended to go everywhere and do everything, such as sharpen pencils, open packages, pry up staples and the like, occasionally gut a fish or field-dress a squirrel or pheasant? Then a thin-bladed single-blade folder such as PatPowell's Case knife is probably the answer. But if it's a knife intended to be carried for potential life-threatening occasions, it needs to be something a bit beyond the simple Buck or Case folder.

Folding Social Purposes pocket knives are a compromise... much like carrying a J-frame revolver, really. The best true combat and multi-purpose knives are fixed-blade designs with longer, heavier blades, and while you can get some that are small enough to carry in a pocket, a defensive knife should have a blade of 3-4". A folding knife allows you to carry an acceptably long/heavy blade in a package not much over 3-1/2". But they aren't as quick to deploy as a fixed blade, and most folders have the annoying and potentially crippling habit of folding back on the user's hand when put to use in Serious Social situations.

There are several reasons for carrying a Benchmade Griptilian or one of its sibling designs. Like many other premium (not to say custom, which is a whole 'nother animal...) knives, the steel, workmanship, and versatility of Benchmades are top-drawer. Add to that the ergonomic handle design which makes the knife very secure in your hand, even when wet, even when bloody (note the serrations on the edges of the handle and the deep checkering).

What separates the best Benchmades from all the others is the Axis lock (that's the silvery-looking thingy in the slot on the handle. This patented lock design locks the blade out very securely, i.e., it makes it impossible for the blade to fold back on your hand "accidentally" during use.

This knife is also available with a partially-serated blade, which I favor over the straight blade, but that's a minor quibble.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Case Trapper.
Can't go wrong with that, but she has now specified high tech, tactical looking, folders, so I guess that's out.

Actually this is the only statement on what I am looking for:

I guess I had traditional in mind, but it doesn't have to be. It just needs to be functional, not too heavy, and definitely something that will last awhile.

He would use it mostly I guess for small everyday projects, he already has a several larger knives for hunting and carving.

Lynn
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I'm with Scott on this one, I like the old style knives, but when you look at it strictly from a utility standpoint you can't beat the modern folders. I now carry a CRKT Mt Rainier and it works great. And like Scott said, often when you realize you need to cut something, you already have your hands full so a knife you can open with one hand is great.
Case Trapper.

Actually this is the only statement on what I am looking for:

Lynn
Yep. I read Steelhead, and thought I was reading your post for some reason. For traditional, take a look at the site I posted for you. If you want to spend less, but still get a really nice traditional pocket knife, check out Case Knives.
Posted By: isaac Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Lynn...you looking for a heirloom type piece or one where the absent-mindedness and forgetfulness of a young man won't make the loss devastating?
Posted By: n007 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
, you already have your hands full so a knife you can open with one hand is great.

+1
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Miss Lynn,

Here is the knife I carry for everyday use:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/907
It is one-handed opening knife with a pocket clip and really good steel.

I, too was thinking the person you were talking about was a "youngster". smile

This is the Case Stockman I was talking about:

http://www.basspro.com/Case-Amber-Bone-Knife-%E2%80%93-Medium-Stockman-042/product/10222821/-943647

Ed
I remember my dad always carried one of these.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by isaac
Lynn...you looking for a heirloom type piece or one where the absent-mindedness and forgetfulness of a young man won't make the loss devastating?

I guess the heirloom type was what I was first thinking of, and now I am thinking two. One for everyday use, and an heirloom type one for dressier occasions.

Lynn
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Thought these looked kinda cool.........
That's the spirit. You got the everyday use one figured out with the Benchmade I posted, I'll let others deal with heirlooms...
I'll sharpen it for you when you come down.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
A Benchmade one-hander is as good as it gets. Steelhead speaks the truth there. That would be my choice if I could have only one knife. That said, currently a Case bird hunters classic rides along in my pocket most of the time. I like it for it's delicate narrow blade that holds an edge seemingly forever. Perfect for slicing a baloney or peeling an apple which is about all I use it for anyway.

Can't tell you how many jeans pockets I wore through over the years with a regular old Swiss Army knife.

==============

His knife or his wit?
Posted By: byc Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I gave everybody, to include the women folk, in my family pocket knives for Christmas. I was amazed at the some of the great pricing and bundles found at Amazon for many of the names mentioned in this thread.
Just cuzz you have a pointy head it doesn't mean you're sharp.

==============

His knife or his wit?

Both will be honed to a keen edge when he leaves.
Posted By: JustOneGunner Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I've had a Kershaw Skyline for a few months now. Perfect for EDC. I have no complaints besides the thumbstuds being too far recessed into/against the scales, but a file fixes that problem... and besides that, the flipper is better/faster IMHO.
I've sharpened it once so far, and I use it on a daily basis. Unless I'm without pants, it's with me. :P
I'm posting a "Snipers Wanted To Address Member Problem" thread!
Posted By: amax155 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I am fond of CRKT I have a M-16 but like the look of Stag grips.
http://www.crkt.com/M4-Stag-Scales-Stainless-Bolster-Razor-Sharp-Edge-OutBurst-LAWKS-Knife
Originally Posted by byc
I gave everybody, to include the women folk, in my family pocket knives for Christmas.

You did ? That's pretty cool. My daughter Maggie was telling me last night when she called that she would like one also, found it strange at first, and then thought, why not ?

Lynn
Posted By: maddog Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Lynn, I've carried 1 of these for lord knows, how many years. Lost one and got this one a decade ago or longer. Not expensive, and holds an edge.

http://www.knivesplus.com/unclehenryknife-sc-807uh.html

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
Lynn, I've carried 1 of these for lord knows, how many years. Lost one and got this one a decade ago or longer. Not expensive, and holds an edge.

maddog

maddog,

That looks like the one my Dad carried. He was forever finding something to use it on, my brother has it now, and seems to use it just as much. I know it wasn't expensive, but it sure is beautiful to me smile

Lynn
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
How about the Gerber Paraframe and a multi-tool?

Scheel's has these combination bubble packs on sale for $30 in the stores. A serrated Paraframe I and a compact sport Multi-Plier, a lot of useful tools for everyday use. If you want 1 of these, PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

Jeff
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I carry a Buck Trapper like NorthernDave just showed a picture of. I'd remarked on here that I had lost my chinese made Buck Trapper on here, and came home to find an older American made one in my mailbox thanks to croldfort, campfire generosity at its finest.

I like the looks of that Marbles that TRH showed a picture of. Is Marbles the same quality today as it was of yesteryear?

I like slipjoint knives for pocket carry. I have tried numerous lockbacks of various types for their function, but I can't get used to carrying them clipped to my pocket. I have always carried keys, change, and knife in my right pocket. With a knife clipped to my pocket I scraped my hand getting my keys out.

CRKT has several styles I liked if I could carry them.

Queen Cutlery is American made and makes a ton of traditional slipjoints for reasonable money.
Posted By: Elf Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
One of my favorite sites

http://www.casexx.com/PatternPageFH.asp
Oh, and call me spoiled or whatever, but I only use a knife to cut with. If more tool is required, I usually have the resources handy to use the right tool.

A knife is the most expensive and least effective prybar you will ever own.

Flamesuit on and ready. smile
Originally Posted by Elf

http://www.casexx.com/DisplayPatternPageFH.asp?PatternAutoID=58

OMG, Elf ! They have such beautiful knives. The one below is outstanding:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: DocRocket Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Oh, and call me spoiled or whatever, but I only use a knife to cut with. If more tool is required, I usually have the resources handy to use the right tool.

Wish I could say I don't know about that alllll too well.
Originally Posted by Elf

[Linked Image]

That's what happens when WOMEN pick out knives,
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Case XX
Originally Posted by Elf

[Linked Image]

Well there's your daughter's knife I guess huh? grin

Originally Posted by Elf

[Linked Image]

We WOMEN reserve the right to pick out goofy looking impractical things so that you MEN can come along and correct us, therefore keeping the flow of the universe perfect.

And BTW Sunshine, I was thinking about Maggie when I chose this one. Ladylike and elegant.

Originally Posted by Elf

[Linked Image]

Well there's your daughter's knife I guess huh? grin

Exactly ! smile
Oh hush Steelie :-)

My favorite knife is beautiful and I didn't pick it out. You know the one I think....
Just don't give that one to your boy, they'll "dont ask dont tell" him right out on his ear lol!!

Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I used to always be looking for the perfect everyday carry knife. Since I got a Benchmade 940 (7 years ago), I've kind of quit browsing, because nothing since then has got me too wound up. I can't recommend it enough. The Griptillian Steelhead recommended has a lot of the features I like about this one at a lower price point, though I certainly prefer the slimmer handle on this model.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

Good point. He'll just break it not lose it. grin

For the question at hand you can't beat the Benchmade that Steely pointed out. I carry the same one (except mine has paint on it and is a bit scratched up. I often ponder why it took us so long to put wheels on baggage and clips on pocket knives.

For a classy pocket knife look no further than a Case Damascus Tiny Trapper
Just don't give that one to your boy, they'll "dont ask dont tell" him right out on his ear lol!!

He is PO'd about that subject, BIGTIME !

Those "slimlocks" are sweet, I've never seen one before... dammit, now i need a pocket knife lol!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I have both of the knives shown below thier both folders and carry one of them as a pocket knife. They are Puma Damascus knives they run about $60 to $70 dollars each and the do hold a good edge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My favorite
Originally Posted by Pugs

That is the exact same knife I found on Amazon at about 40% off list before Christmas.

Annie I have that exact same Ingram and love it! In fact, I bought it right from the classifieds on the Fire.

David
This is what I'm carrying right now, 4" closed, nice locking one hander. A little bulky for a pocket knife but i like it so far.

[Linked Image]

Dammit I really like that case slimlock though...

Blend of both worlds, classy, slim for pocket carry, 3.5" closed length, one hand operation...

This is all your fault Miss Lynn!!

grin
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Flamesuit on and ready. smile
And most women need to be reminded from time to time that a knife is not a screwdriver. grin
Originally Posted By: Pugs

That is the exact same knife I found on Amazon at about 40% off list before Christmas.
====================

I guess, if you like drinks that come with fruit and umbrellas!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Some people tend to lose pocket knives with alarming regularity. I somehow manage to avoid that problem, but I still view a pocket knife as a tool that may be misplaced, so I don't put the proper amount of investment into it. My standard daily knife is an Imperial jacknife that the NRA sent me a number of years ago. Sometimes I carry a one-blade Buck lockback. They have both served me very well. I appreciate and care for them, but I do not bow down and worship them at designated times during the day.

laugh

laugh
Now that's a sweet looking knife,Annie.
Originally Posted by byc

Annie I have that exact same Ingram and love it! In fact, I bought it right from the classifieds on the Fire.

David

Not exact same though I'm thinking, mine is engraved with my name and my handle is made of purpleheart.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted By: Pugs

====================

Careful now----you be no match for Pugs and I together. Besides, we be bringing our big knives to this throw down.
It'll be a fun get-together regardless of who's injured!
Originally Posted by Elf
Originally Posted by byc

David

Not exact same though I'm thinking, mine is engraved with my name and my handle is made of purpleheart.

Fair enough. Same style, however.
Originally Posted by Elf
Originally Posted by byc

David

smile
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Mz Lynn , google " mooremaker" knives in Matador Tx . I think you will find what you are looking for . I've been carrying one since shortly after they came out in 1985 .

Very practical knives that also increase in value over time if it is kept new .For very little more than a Case or other mass produced knife you get a heirloom quality knife .

And [ this is why I started using them ] they make a high-quality CARBON steel pocketknife .

And they make 'em in Matador Tx !!!
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=everyday&product=54216&

My all time favorite for everyday carry.

And this one too:
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=262

Just don't pay over $20 for it
Or find a good one at a gun show for 5
I've used this tiny blade to dress out a deer!
Posted By: slopshot Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Pretty hard to beat a Stockman pattern (3 bladed), round bolsters for everyday carry, of 3 inches length, slightly more or less. Grip/handle width slim for dress wear, wider for field use.

The better steel always a good investment, if money not a problem. Quality stainless of good repute, if everyday carry also.

Name and date engraving also a good idea. If he has it years from now, and doesn't get stolen or lost, it will warm his heart to know he has something from Mom in his possesion daily, and will want to remember the year Mom gave it to him.

Beware the bells and whistles and the salemanship. You want functional quality that is made to last. Find someone who knows steel and about who made the knife to shop with you, if you are not savy. Lot of junk out there.

Also, advise him to never loan it out of sight. You would be surprised how easy it is for out of sight to disappear. Hence the engraved name, frown.

This is all your fault Miss Lynn!!grin

Huh ? What ? Where ? Who ? Not me ! No WAY ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
If this is a kid, I'd lean toward a Case or Buck Trapper. Go with something stainless though, as kids (and many adults) are not too good about drying them off and oiling. I was given a Case recently (not stainless), and 1 day of carrying in a wet pocket on a spring bear outing found it with a goodly layer of corrosion when I made it back to camp. It's still a great knife, but does not have the appearance that one would like to see on surgical instruments now.

Again, if this is a kid, reinforce that one does not forget and accidently pack it to school.
Oh geezeee... Mooremaker even has a football knife with genuine pigskin handles. It would make a great oyster shucking knife at tailgates. Cool!

Dammut Lynn!

http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=739050
Yes it is, now I need one of those bone handled case slimlocks and this morning when I woke up I didn't even know they existed!

grin

I told you this would be a great thread!!

"pocket knives" how can you go wrong??

grin
Posted By: jim62 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Mz Lynn , google " mooremaker" knives in Matador Tx . I think you will find what you are looking for . I've been carrying one since shortly after they came out in 1985 .

Very practical knives that also increase in value over time if it is kept new .For very little more than a Case or other mass produced knife you get a heirloom quality knife .

And [ this is why I started using them ] they make a high-quality CARBON steel pocketknife .

And they make 'em in Matador Tx !!!

Simply NOT TRUE.

Mooremaker does NOT make ANY of their knives. Period.

They are MARKETERS - not knife makers.

They have them made to their specs by other firms.

Queen and Camillus used to make most of there knives, but with
the Camillus plant closing, I believe they use Queen and Canal Street ,now.

One thing is for sure, Moore maker never has built their own knives. They are only slightly higher quality versions of other mass produce knives.

I think about the only product Mooremaker has ever made in house are their fencing pliers tools and I believe now, even those are made by someone else.

Originally Posted by byc

Dammut Lynn!

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?????????????????????????????!!!!

I didn't do nuffin, I am innocent, I swear [Linked Image]
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Queen and Camillus used to make most of there knives, but with
the Camillus plant closing, I believe they use Queen and Canal Street ,now.

They use Bear and Son now for a lot of the models - not even close to the old Queen issue IMO.
"Fair enough. Same style, however."
byc..
It's a sweet style, I've used it for numerous things.

Besides that one I have a couple of Swiss army ones, a few Cases, etc etc. I like knives :-)
Should have bought pocket knife stock this morning...

Lotta fellers are finding stuff they didn't know they needed today.

Yes it is, now I need one of those bone handled case slimlocks and this morning when I woke up I didn't even know they existed!

grin

I told you this would be a great thread!!

"pocket knives" how can you go wrong??

grin

You were right ! I never knew it was such a hot topic ! grin

Some of them are almost as bad as women when it comes to shopping for this stuff. Spooky sort of grin
"little boys" never out grow pocket knife fascination.

Posted By: T LEE Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
FWIW this is what I carry everyday:

[Linked Image]

These are the ones I have carried over the the past 20 years or so.

[Linked Image]

I am hands down a fan of American made Case knives but the little Camulis "Blaze" in the picture is also a nice one.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

And rightfully so..

The sharp edge is mankind's oldest tool besides fire..

Everything we plant or mine from the earth and make into other things would not be possible without those two basic tools.

A small folding blade is pretty neat to have around. Even women find them useful.
Sweet trappers T
Posted By: Pugs Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

Hey! Scurvy is serious business for us squid types and shouldn't be treated lightly! grin
It was actually you bastids that dragged me down the slippery slope of knife collecting.. ;-)
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Classic - Queens stockman or Case canoe.
Agreed! I love the Ingrams as well as some others I bought from Erwin a.k.a., e3ck.

I gave my Mother a Swiss Army knife set for Christmas. She got all excited and immediately put the smaller one on her key chain. Said it was her first ever. Made my day!
Originally Posted by Elf
It was actually you bastids that dragged me down the slippery slope of knife collecting.. ;-)

grin grin
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

You've definitely got that right there has been alot of good choices posted here, well except that one that Miss Lynn posted a couple of pages back. wink

I do think we have done confused the issue for her selecting a pocket knife for her son.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Got one of those keyring Swiss Army things in my pocket all the time. Use it mostly every day to clean my nails and cut my nose hairs. blush The knife in my other pants pocket is a little more substantial -- a Buck assisted opening, or a Kershaw made for Snap-on, or a Benchmade with a fighting point. Also have some old Schrades, and I absolutely love them. (LB-3, LB-5, and LB-7)

True.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jim62

And rightfully so..

The sharp edge is mankind's oldest tool besides fire..

Everything we plant or mine from the earth and make into other things would not be possible without those two basic tools.

A small folding blade is pretty neat to have around. Even women find them useful.
Well said, and very true.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
A workin man needs two knives. One for workin cannot be expected to last forever and be handed down. The other is more of a "gentlemans" knife for pocket carry. This would be the one that last a long time and would be handed down. I have a yellow handled Case pen knife that I've carried for close to thirty years. My serious business work knives are mostly Benchmade, the favorite being a Walter Brend model..
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Got one of those keyring Swiss Army things in my pocket all the time. Use it mostly every day to clean my nails and cut my nose hairs. blush

To do it is one thing, to admit it is another. Your Sir are truly "Canadian" grin
Posted By: Nail Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

+1

I don't care what the materials are or who's name is on it, if it isn't handy I won't use it for a daily carry knife.

Nail
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Didn't read through all of this but see Case recommended alot. They are nicely put together as far as fit and finish but personally I'd stay away from them if they are to be used hard. Reason being most have the Case "Tru sharp" stainless blades and they SUCK for holding an edge. Case's stainless blades are 420 stainlees hardened to 53-54 RC and are some of the softest,lowest quality stainless blades offered by a mainstream manufacturer.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Didn't read through all of this but see Case recommended alot. They are nicely put together as far as fit and finish but personally I'd stay away from them if they are to be used hard. Reason being most have the Case "Tru sharp" stainless blades and they SUCK for holding an edge. Case's stainless blades are 420 stainlees hardened to 53-54 RC and are some of the softest,lowest quality stainless blades offered by a mainstream manufacturer.

BG-42 in the Case slimlock... whistle

must have...

Posted By: 1minute Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I would agree on the Case blades and hardness. Any work at all and they need a touch up. For hunting/fishing purposes, I lean to the Buck Trappers.

Buck Knives link
Don't care for clip on's, blades with cutouts, or serrations.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
My brother is getting one of these...

http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=90994

cept his has dark stag scales.
Posted By: FVA Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
A few I think highly of.
Case TrapperLock
Kershaw Random Leek/S30V
Kershaw Gentleman's Folder VG 10
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Case does use some ATS-34 and BG-42, I'm pretty curious about that BG-42, I have several buck knives in ATS-34 and they do well for me. I'd like to try a BG-42 blade though and I really like the look of that slimlock by case.

I'll be squirreling pennies away for one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Not much of a fan old folders. But when I use one, its either a Swiss Army Hunter or the Normark Super Swede below.

[Linked Image]

I've had the Super Swede probably 20 years, and as the scratches on the blade attest, its a working knife not safe queen.

Although not as fashionable as the latest tactical style folders, its strong, bomb proof and takes a shaving edge; in fact the Sandvik steel never fails to impress me..

Posted By: bcolorado Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Heirloom?

TA DAVISON
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
for a pocket knife a Victoronix Tinker/Super Tinker is my favorite.

For a clip on an Axis Benchmade Drop Point like Steelie has but with a Combo Edge is my favorite.

For an inexpensive clip on The Benchmade Pika's get the nod.
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Heirloom?

TA DAVISON
[Linked Image]
Handmade custom, I assume.
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
CASE! One of the few knives still made in the USA. I've carried a trapper model on a daily basis for years and it's still going strong.
Posted By: stray round Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Now for something completely different:

http://www.eseeknives.com/neck_knife.htm

I've been carrying an Izula for a couple of months now in my pants pocket and have stopped carrying a folder.

With that being said I have the Case stockman #6375 that my dad bought for me 44 years ago. It has gracefully survived what a farm boy could dish out for many years before being "retired" but in all probability could be used for another generation.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10

Originally Posted by maddog

maddog

Had one for years. Gave it to my youngest step-son, who lost it. Wanted another for myself and discovered they are now made in China.

- Tom
I bought a few of them back around 04 when I heard they were shutting down US operations.(shrade/uncle henry)

One for each of my kids. A couple are still in the safe. my oldest boy has his & hasn't lost it (yet).
Posted By: bbassi Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Speaking of American made, you can usually find tons of great quality American made knives in the cabinets of the antique malls. Most of the time they are a real steal in need of just a little TLC to get them back to as new condition. Every time my wife drags me in one of those places I end up buying one. I've often wondered what stories they would tell if they could.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Lynn;

W.R. Case - one of the classic makers, still 100% made in the USA (they shut down their overseas plants instead of US plants during the recession).

Try their "small stockman"; about THE classic design:

Link

[Linked Image]
I see a new Trapper in my future.

[Linked Image]
This Dogleg Jack is in my pocket right now-
[Linked Image]

I got mine from A.G. Russel in Rogers, Arkansas a year or so ago. I must have been asleep when I told the lady which one I wanted, because I'm sure I pointed to the Trapper beside it. I'll get the trapper, possibly this weekend on my way back through there.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#'D SCRL'D BUBBA GUM DAMASCUS TINY TOOTHPICK ELEGANT�

This is next on my list.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Im real happy with the Cold Steel Tanto folders...not real traditional but have served me well..
Sweet trappers T

Thanks Dave, the micarta one is my daily driver and the jigged bone mini my "dress up", The Camulis Blaze is the one I carry when I will be cutting hay bale twine & feed sacks open.
Mine are old fashioned Carbon Steel thank you.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
T A Davison makes very nice traditional folders.

http://www.tadscustomknives.com/

Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Case Trapper.

Most excellent and traditional choice. The 4 1/8" Trapper pattern is one of my favorites and I carry one daily. The different Trapper versions from Case (made in the USA) are quite numerous and well worth their cost.
Here is a BG-42 Case. a slip lock, semi drop blade 2 1/2", w/Green Bone at Midway.

Hearing some good stuff on it, rating it right up there with the best of knife steels. Seems to be a consensus occuring w/custom makers also.

Not for sure why, but hearing not as much reject on the heat treatment, running around 50% for correct Brinnell.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=181544

edit: typo
Yeah that's the stuff, not sure which handles I like best but that's a sweet knife.

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Case...hands down.

Me too. A Case knife will last him the rest of his life if'n he don't lose it.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by T LEE
Mine are old fashioned Carbon Steel thank you.
Mine too. I have several case knives with chrome vanadium blades. They take and hold a wicked edge. It's only the Case knives with their "tru sharp" stainless blades that suck. Unfortunately, most of their knives are made with the crappy stainless blades these days.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
I had a "Black Beauty" Switch-Blade Knife in the late 50's -

Along with my 'duck-tail' haircut, a 'studded' black leather jacket, black Engineer Boots, low slung Levi's (with the belt loops removed), and a white short-sleeved tee-shirt with one sleeve rolled up to en-case my pack of "Lucky Strike" (un-filtered) Cigarettes, and an ATTITUDE!!!

You wouldn't want to know (or belive) 'what' I traded that knife away for ...

(In retrospect, I think every knife I now own is 'probably' of better quality than my old switch-blade.)

Now-a-days, my favorite 'pocket-carry'knife is a black-handled single-blade CASE SODBUSTER. (I got two, both sizes.)
The "Peanut" I pictured has the Chrome Vanadium blades the Micarta handled one is old carbon steel that I blued with Oxpho-Blue and keep oiled with G-96, no rust and stays wicked sharp with little effort.

I still have this Puma General I carried for a full 27 years as a Peace Officer and it is another that takes a wicked edge and holds it forever. I cut a plastic bumper off a car with it one night to get a guys arm out, it would still shave the hair on my arm when I got done. The Normark in the picture has dressed out literally TONS of game over the past 50 Years. Was still shaving sharp after my only Elk was ready to pack out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Pocket Knives - 12/28/10
Case.

Ain't a thing wrong with good carbon steel, T!

Good carbon heat treated correctly will touch up, or correct the edge much quicker, and just as sharp.

I can get kind of partial to carbon w/color that shows a lot of use, smile.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
I prefer a good 3 blade stockman type, keep the clip blade for fine cutting, the sheepsfoot for rougher stuff like twine and cardboard while the 3rd blade gets the bubba stuff like battery terminals.
I carried a Case 3 blade stockman for close to 30 years. Great knife. I'll 2nd the new tru-sharp stainless being junk. The SS Case I have now gets dull just riding in my pocket.
Probably my favorite is 30 year old Buck 301 Stockman. I carried it for years on the farm, but it's a little big for my office job these days. Still goes in my pocket anytime we go hunting.
Just received a CRKT Lake 111 2 1/2" lockback. I'm really liking it so far, like Cheesy I'm not crazy about clipping it on my pocket, but I have no doubt it's a good knife.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
So many brands and styles. I have a Hen & Rooster trapper and 3 blade(proper name left me). I have case, K-bar, buck my Grandfather's Barlow(yes it was a brand).

Which ever best fits your needs.
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
I have a Kershaw with a locking blade and a Case Sodbuster Jr. I like both and they are small enough to not take up much room in my jean's pocket.
Posted By: rob p Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
If you would like a classic pocket knife, there are none more "classic" than these two Case vintage patterns. I would be thrilled to get either one. Both are in yellow bone.
MSRP for either is $126.

Elephant's Toe

[Linked Image]

Gunboat Canoe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Balbach, as in germany, you can google it.
They are not inexpensive but they are made from the steel of WWII 88mm. antiaircraft guns, and he makes knives also out of the steel of tiger tanks if i remember right.
He is considered a master in germany, which should speak for itself.
Those damascus blades are works of art.
Posted By: amr7333 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
As I browse this thread, I couldnt find anyone who suggested an Eye brand. These are(were, not sure now) made in Solingen, Germany. Pretty much an heirloom quality type of knive. They come in all styles: trapper, stockman, sodbuster, sodbuster jr., etc... I have a couple of these and they definately hold an edge when you get them sharp.

Thanks,

Lynn
Here you go: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/M.S.A.-Marbles

If you don't find something there, that site has lots of different high end makes of pocket knives to peruse. Just explore the hyperlinked categories to the left. This one would be nice.

[Linked Image]

I could be wrong on this, but i think marbles are now made in china, the old ones bring some bucks.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Why not support your home country Lynn and get him a Canuck knife.

[Linked Image]

Grohmann

Originally Posted by Elf

[Linked Image]

agreed blah
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I could be wrong on this, but i think marbles are now made in china, the old ones bring some bucks.
Yep. The ones shown at that website were made in the USA. The ones made in China are complete junk.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Why not support your home country Lynn and get him a Canuck knife.

[Linked Image]

Grohmann

Thank you. I followed the link, and found a beautiful rosewood handled one. Supporting my home country is definitely a good point.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Case Trapper.

I still have the one given to me back in the late 60's or early 70's
Posted By: colodog Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
For daily carry it's a Ka-Bar/Dozier folding Hunter, made in Taiwan, AUS-8 blade. $20
For civilized occasions Boker/Treebrand folding "Congress" .
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Lynn, I'm on my second Buck knife like this. I lost my first one. They're small enough to not cause a bulge in your pocket but large enough to be useful. It's a good small pen knife but not one I'd carry on the job as it's a little small for that.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3118

These scissors make nice gifts. My wife gave them out a few years ago as stocking stuffers and I keep them in my shaving kit and one with my hunting gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/745494
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Really three knives would be better. I use one of these a lot. I've got them stashed in strategic places. One's out in the Implement Shed, another in my basement workbench, one here by the 'puter, one in the garage. I've got one of the sheetrock/utility knives that they replaced out in the chicken house for opening feed. It's one of the handiest knives I own.

Wish it was made here.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00994848000P?vName=Hand+Tools&cName=Cutting+%26+Finishing+Tools&sName=Utility+Knives&prdNo=15&blockNo=15&blockType=L15
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
For every day carry i use either my Benchmade mini Griptillian just like Steely posted in the beginning or my Al Mar Sere 2000 the Al Mar is a bit more robust then the benchmade but both are flawless cutters and built hell for stout.

in the pocket i either have an old USA made Buck 3 blade trapper or Kershaw Gentlemans Folder
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Looks like CaseXX is the clear choice.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
variations on the Benchmade theme. The top one is a 710D2, which is my favorite Benchmade. 3.9" blade, which is about as long as you can legally carry in many places. The bottom one is a 910D2, a little shorter model, and different lock design. I carry it often. It's out of poduction now, but there is a model with assisted opening, a 912D2, IIRC. The D2 tool steel blades are very good.

The Axis lock is reputedly the best available for safety - IIRC DocRocket stated he'd never had to stitch up anyone due to an accidental failure of the lock.

[Linked Image]

these guys make some rather artsy knives - I think the plainest ones start at $300+

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/product.cfm?style_id=28

Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Another Canadian knife maker.....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Looks like CaseXX is the clear choice.

Nope, Benchmade. I'd not suffer carrying a Case as my only knife nor would I suggest it to anyone that I like, hell I wouldn't suggest it to anyone I don't like either.

I like Case knives, but not as a only knife on me. Having a knife that requires two hands to open is silly for an only knife.
I have 2 Griptillians in my pack. They are 440C and are easy to put an edge on. I have recommended the knife many times. I wouldn't call on an heirloom quality pocket knife. I put up the Case knives because they are highly collectible. There's a society for Sunfish (elephant's toenail) collectors http://www.elephanttoenails.com/ and the Canoe is as classic a knife as was ever made. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wr_case/patterns_by_number/105_953.php#131

My friend, who is a fellow knife maker and collector gave me a Mcusta damascus flip open knife (liner lock) for Christmas which I have been carrying. Nothing over a 3 1/4" blade here and it's 3" so legal to go anywhere. It's a pretty knife. It's also very sharp, but I wouldn't call it a hand me down heirloom knife.

I got the one on the right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HMS_Deptford Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
May get flamed for this, but for a true hard-use folder with no-questions-asked repair policy from a high end maker, consider Strider knives:

http://www.bluelinegear.com/c-15-strider-folders.aspx

Strider knives are big money!

If I had a kid in Afghanistan and wanted to send him a knife, I'd consider it, but they're $400 and up. Blade magazine had one of their knives by a guy named Dwyer that was like $4,000. Big money.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Not my grand dad's style pocket knife... but I carry a good old Swiss Army knife. Actually I have a beat up, knock off type Swiss Army knife, that I bought at Walmart for like $4.00, and leave the real Swiss Army knife at home using the knock off knife for daily use in case I break it or lose it...

darn thing has lasted me 10 years so far...my Swiss Army knife I have had since in was in the Army in the late 70s...

My step dad, gave the one to my son that he carried while serving in Vietnam in the mid to late 1960s...
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
I've got a Case trapper with yellow handles, just like the one T LEE posted.

Last year I replaced (stuck it in the safe) it with a stag horn Case trapper with stainless blades, to keep it from rusting in my sweaty pockets.

It holds an edge way better than I thought it would.

And, YEP! big boys LOVE pocket knifes! I'm always looking for another.

Kinda goes with the gun loonieism.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Good thread! I like my Benchmade and I carry it most of the time. But I also carry a Leatherman all of the time. I have a smaller Leatherman that is so much more versatile than just having a blade. I like that. I also really like my Beretta Airlight WITHOUT the skeletonized blade as it is so slim. I take than when going in to the home office for work cuz we arent supposed to have pocket knives. whistle

I dont like the skeletonized blade because it collects dirt and grime big time and then I dont like cutting food with it.
Posted By: picturerock Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
[Linked Image]

Earlier someone posted that the best place to get a good quality American made knife is in an antique store. I agree, cause I have been doing that for several years. Things like pocketknives and tools are known as "mantiques" in the industry, I have learned.
Here is a picture of my latest buy, a PAL Cutlery pocketknife. Some prior owner had used a file on the main blade, leaving major scratch marks, but I have managed to remove most of them by sanding with 600 grit every night for 15 minutes or so. I am pleased with it now. It cost maybe 15 bucks.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Originally Posted by picturerock
[Linked Image]

Earlier someone posted that the best place to get a good quality American made knife is in an antique store. I agree, cause I have been doing that for several years. Things like pocketknives and tools are known as "mantiques" in the industry, I have learned.
Here is a picture of my latest buy, a PAL Cutlery pocketknife. Some prior owner had used a file on the main blade, leaving major scratch marks, but I have managed to remove most of them by sanding with 600 grit every night for 15 minutes or so. I am pleased with it now. It cost maybe 15 bucks.
That's a nice classic. I will have to start hitting the antique shops.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The Axis lock is reputedly the best available for safety - IIRC DocRocket stated he'd never had to stitch up anyone due to an accidental failure of the lock.

Funny, I had a Mini Griptilian a couple of years back and the lock broke...Well not actually the lock, but theres a small "omega" shaped spring in there, and it was that which broke.

I did a search on line afterwards and found it was a fairly common fault, common enough that Benchmade would ship out replacement springs at the asking...

I returned mine as it was still under warrenty, but took a refund..It may have been that was a batch with bad springs and its now been sorted, but it put me off them.

Replaced it with a cheap CRKT M16 and that has been very functional, but the steel in the blade is not the greatest..Also, I am not a huge fan of liner locks on knives that might be used for gralloching a carcass...
Posted By: 700LH Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
I like a hollow ground blades. Good chance any brand that does that makes a OK knife.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Thank you Gentlemen, and Lady, for all your help and suggestions. I will be acquiring two pocket knives for my son, one for everyday, and one for dressier occasions. I plan to stop tomorrow afternoon at a Cabela's in Gonzales, LA to see what they have to offer there, and if they have the everyday one I want. If not I will order online.

Lynn
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
Thank you Gentlemen, and Lady, for all your help and suggestions. I will be acquiring two pocket knives for my son, one for everyday, and one for dressier occasions. I plan to stop tomorrow afternoon at a Cabela's in Gonzales, LA to see what they have to offer there, and if they have the everyday one I want. If not I will order online.

Lynn

One little question, Lynn. Is the name Gonzales a French name?

Good luck on your shopping.
Posted By: picturerock Re: Pocket Knives - 12/29/10
And thank you MissLynn, for starting a thoroughly enjoyable thread. Thank your son as well for his much appreciated service to our country.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
After reading this thred I decided I NEEDED a new pocket knife.

Went to a local knife shop which has lots of benchmade knifes, and picked out one similar to Steelheads, but with a stainless 2-7/8" blade.

They are having a 30% off sale, so I took advantage of it.

Hope it holds an edge.

Virgil B.

Posted By: northern_dave Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
I have had my new buck 271 pocket knife just short of a week, lost it last night somehow.

WTF?

I'm 40 fuggin years old, not 9!! Grr!! mad

I've got a little buck lancer at home that I carried for 20 years, it's not lost...

seriously... 5 days? 5 days is all it took me to lose a new knife?

crazy

Posted By: T LEE Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Early old timers setting in Dave! smile smile smile
Time to face the facts I guess...

What were we talking about again?????

Confused in FL. smile smile
Shhh! Time for Matlock, pass the bran flakes...

grin
Dang, I was hoping it was time for my nap.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Dave,

Don't feel bad, I lost an AL MAR custom folder a cupple years back.

Dang near cried over that one!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
I lost a Benchmade nitrous stryker last fall. Still pisses me off when I think aboout it. Thank's for reminding me.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
For everyday use, I usually carry a knife I don't much care for. I never seem to lose them. If I do, it's no big loss.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Lynn

One little question, Lynn. Is the name Gonzales a French name?

Absolument grin
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
I have had my new buck 271 pocket knife just short of a week, lost it last night somehow.

WTF?

I'm 40 fuggin years old, not 9!! Grr!! mad

I've got a little buck lancer at home that I carried for 20 years, it's not lost...

seriously... 5 days? 5 days is all it took me to lose a new knife?

crazy

Blame it on your kids. Thats what mom always did, thats what I'm going to do. smile
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10

Trace your steps.
Good idea.

Trace your steps.

Too bad my steps are covered up with snow...

frown

metal detector would be handy right now.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Dave,

Don't feel bad, I lost an AL MAR custom folder a cupple years back.

Dang near cried over that one!

Virgil B.
Don't they have a no questions asked, 100% replacement guarantee in case it's ever lost?
Buck did that back in the 70's for a while.

I thought it was Schrade.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10

Thanks,

Lynn

As a Soldier I normally carried two (or three knives when in the field); for convenience a small Stockman for penknife duties and early on a Leatherman Multi-tool, later a SOG multi-tool. When in the field I carried an issue bayonet in a scabbard (when issued a rifle as an EM or junior officer) and later a "fighting knife" (bayonet type knife) when standard issue became a sidearm. He probably has a good bayonet or fighting knife; get him a nice pocket knife, a Case or something similar.
Posted By: Altjaeger Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
You don't give his age so I will assume he is under 12. As a first knife a basic Victorinox Swiss Army Knife along the lines of the old boy scout knife would be hard to beat. It comines comfortable carrying size, versatility and functionality. As he spends time with it and see others using theirs for individual tasks he may perform his preferencs will develop.

I thought it was Schrade.

I remember all the older guys when I was a kid, they were buying 110 buck knives and sending in the waranty card stating 'lost" and getting a new one in the mail.

it came to be known as the "2 for 1" erra where I grew up.

Maybe Schrade did it too.

Originally Posted by Altjaeger
You don't give his age so I will assume he is under 12.

read a little deaper, the "boy" is in the Army.

grin
Posted By: Altjaeger Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
LOL, then go with Odessa's recommendation. As a young officer I carried a 6" sheath knife by Old Timer, but used my Old Timer stockman 95% of the time.

Today I carry a small stockman and a basic Swiss Army everywhere. They make a nice pocket size combo with the stockman handling the fine stuff and the Victorinox taking the rough jobs and abuse.

grin
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Case, Benchmade, Buck and several others listed are good choices.

I've made quite a good friend in Nebraska who eats,,sleeps, and breathes fire department stuff. He was born with minor mental issues, and is an outstanding kid. We keep in constant contact, and I sent him a bunch of FD memorabilia,,,including my old helmet.

One day in the mail, I received a J.A. Henckels 2 bladed pocket knife from his Mother and Father. TOTALLY unexpected,,,and that has gone into my pocket every day since.
Wow, looks like my spelling is off a bit today.. lol!!

"deaper" nice one!! grin

Oh well.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
I used to favor Spyderco for quick, easy one-hand opening and decent steel. My son actually already has two of my old Spydercos.

I now favor the slightly more trim Kershaw Leek with the light G-10 handle, SpeedSafe assisted opening and S30V steel. I've had this for several years and have been very pleased with it.

Here'a a link:

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=63&brand=kershaw
Posted By: M1894 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Deaper Dave , gotta remember that one laugh
Posted By: LongRanger280 Re: Pocket Knives - 12/30/10
Get him a SOG Flash II. He'll thank you much. I carry one in each pocket.
Well I've looked high and low, even kicked around in the snow a bunch, my knife is actually lost.

Pam gave it to me for Christmas, I feel like chit now.

It was too bulky for front pocket so I had it in a side pocket, carpenter pants.

Not a goot idea.

live & learn.

Next one will be something like that slimlock, if I find a good enough deal on one. It's shorter, slimmer, better for front pocket carry.

Stupid knives.

Now I'm cranky, and driving straight into a snow storm for a 5-6 hr drive... grumble, grumble...
Well I've looked high and low, even kicked around in the snow a bunch, my knife is actually lost.

Pam gave it to me for Christmas, I feel like chit now.

It was too bulky for front pocket so I had it in a side pocket, carpenter pants.

Not a goot idea.

live & learn.

Next one will be something like that slimlock, if I find a good enough deal on one. It's shorter, slimmer, better for front pocket carry.

Stupid knives.

Now I'm cranky, and driving straight into a snow storm for a 5-6 hr drive... grumble, grumble...
That stinks. I guess it's no comfort that someone will find and enjoy it in the spring.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Pocket Knives - 12/31/10
I have an idea where it may be in my own yard, I'll be checking in the spring

Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pocket Knives - 12/31/10
Hadn't remembered the AL MAR waranty.

Been two, three years ago now. Sure don't have a recipt.

Wish I would have thought of this back then.

It was a $120.00 knife. (kicks toe in dirt!)

Virgil B.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Pocket Knives - 12/31/10

[Linked Image]

Great knife. I've got a couple of griptillians with different blade styles.

Expat
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Pocket Knives - 01/15/11
I didn't read the entire thread, but agree 100% with Steelhead that a pocket knife should be able to be opened one handed.

IMO, one of the best utility/duty knives ever made is the CRKT Crawford/Kasper Fighting Folder. Simply a work of art that will open with a flick of the wrist and retailed for under $40.00! I currently rotate between it, a Kershaw Scallion (another fantastic assisted opening knife that sells for under $40.00!), and a Benchmade 2550 Mini-Reflex Auto.

Simply put, Kershaw and CRKT offer a lot of bang for the buck!
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Pocket Knives - 01/15/11
Having just had my EDC pocket knife lifted by sticky fingers from my office at work, I decided to buy a Benchmade BM585 Mini Barrage. It has a Spring assisted Axis system and it's FAST. Much faster than my old Kershaw "Boa". With a blade length of 2.9" it will keep most folks out of trouble.

I just found mine online for $83.99 Shipping included! May have to order a backup at that price!
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Pocket Knives - 01/15/11

grin

My "boy" turns ...( gulp ) 30 tomorrow!
Still the pride of my life... but how did his age accelerate over mine?
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Pocket Knives - 01/15/11
Ya know how to find lost stuff, Dave?

Buy another!
The first one will trip you when you walk back in from the store ( or mailbox in my case )

Man, I sure have a lot of double stuff around here.

Works with wimmens too ....for a short time!
Then they run into each other... and the fight begins.
© 24hourcampfire