-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So many brands and styles. I have a Hen & Rooster trapper and 3 blade(proper name left me). I have case, K-bar, buck my Grandfather's Barlow(yes it was a brand).

Which ever best fits your needs.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Kershaw with a locking blade and a Case Sodbuster Jr. I like both and they are small enough to not take up much room in my jean's pocket.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you would like a classic pocket knife, there are none more "classic" than these two Case vintage patterns. I would be thrilled to get either one. Both are in yellow bone.
MSRP for either is $126.

Elephant's Toe

[Linked Image]

Gunboat Canoe

[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Balbach, as in germany, you can google it.
They are not inexpensive but they are made from the steel of WWII 88mm. antiaircraft guns, and he makes knives also out of the steel of tiger tanks if i remember right.
He is considered a master in germany, which should speak for itself.
Those damascus blades are works of art.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I browse this thread, I couldnt find anyone who suggested an Eye brand. These are(were, not sure now) made in Solingen, Germany. Pretty much an heirloom quality type of knive. They come in all styles: trapper, stockman, sodbuster, sodbuster jr., etc... I have a couple of these and they definately hold an edge when you get them sharp.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn
Here you go: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/M.S.A.-Marbles

If you don't find something there, that site has lots of different high end makes of pocket knives to peruse. Just explore the hyperlinked categories to the left. This one would be nice.

[Linked Image]

I could be wrong on this, but i think marbles are now made in china, the old ones bring some bucks.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why not support your home country Lynn and get him a Canuck knife.

[Linked Image]

Grohmann

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by Elf

http://www.casexx.com/DisplayPatternPageFH.asp?PatternAutoID=58

OMG, Elf ! They have such beautiful knives. The one below is outstanding:

[Linked Image]

That's what happens when WOMEN pick out knives,

agreed blah

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I could be wrong on this, but i think marbles are now made in china, the old ones bring some bucks.
Yep. The ones shown at that website were made in the USA. The ones made in China are complete junk.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why not support your home country Lynn and get him a Canuck knife.

[Linked Image]

Grohmann

Thank you. I followed the link, and found a beautiful rosewood handled one. Supporting my home country is definitely a good point.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Case Trapper.

I still have the one given to me back in the late 60's or early 70's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For daily carry it's a Ka-Bar/Dozier folding Hunter, made in Taiwan, AUS-8 blade. $20
For civilized occasions Boker/Treebrand folding "Congress" .

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lynn, I'm on my second Buck knife like this. I lost my first one. They're small enough to not cause a bulge in your pocket but large enough to be useful. It's a good small pen knife but not one I'd carry on the job as it's a little small for that.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3118

These scissors make nice gifts. My wife gave them out a few years ago as stocking stuffers and I keep them in my shaving kit and one with my hunting gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/745494

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really three knives would be better. I use one of these a lot. I've got them stashed in strategic places. One's out in the Implement Shed, another in my basement workbench, one here by the 'puter, one in the garage. I've got one of the sheetrock/utility knives that they replaced out in the chicken house for opening feed. It's one of the handiest knives I own.

Wish it was made here.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00994848000P?vName=Hand+Tools&cName=Cutting+%26+Finishing+Tools&sName=Utility+Knives&prdNo=15&blockNo=15&blockType=L15

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For every day carry i use either my Benchmade mini Griptillian just like Steely posted in the beginning or my Al Mar Sere 2000 the Al Mar is a bit more robust then the benchmade but both are flawless cutters and built hell for stout.

in the pocket i either have an old USA made Buck 3 blade trapper or Kershaw Gentlemans Folder

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like CaseXX is the clear choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
variations on the Benchmade theme. The top one is a 710D2, which is my favorite Benchmade. 3.9" blade, which is about as long as you can legally carry in many places. The bottom one is a 910D2, a little shorter model, and different lock design. I carry it often. It's out of poduction now, but there is a model with assisted opening, a 912D2, IIRC. The D2 tool steel blades are very good.

The Axis lock is reputedly the best available for safety - IIRC DocRocket stated he'd never had to stitch up anyone due to an accidental failure of the lock.

[Linked Image]

these guys make some rather artsy knives - I think the plainest ones start at $300+

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/product.cfm?style_id=28

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Looks like CaseXX is the clear choice.

Nope, Benchmade. I'd not suffer carrying a Case as my only knife nor would I suggest it to anyone that I like, hell I wouldn't suggest it to anyone I don't like either.

I like Case knives, but not as a only knife on me. Having a knife that requires two hands to open is silly for an only knife.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 Griptillians in my pack. They are 440C and are easy to put an edge on. I have recommended the knife many times. I wouldn't call on an heirloom quality pocket knife. I put up the Case knives because they are highly collectible. There's a society for Sunfish (elephant's toenail) collectors http://www.elephanttoenails.com/ and the Canoe is as classic a knife as was ever made. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wr_case/patterns_by_number/105_953.php#131

My friend, who is a fellow knife maker and collector gave me a Mcusta damascus flip open knife (liner lock) for Christmas which I have been carrying. Nothing over a 3 1/4" blade here and it's 3" so legal to go anywhere. It's a pretty knife. It's also very sharp, but I wouldn't call it a hand me down heirloom knife.

I got the one on the right.

[Linked Image]

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.