Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At any given time I will be carrying a Spyderco Carbon Fiber Military, Kershaw Leek or Spyderco Endura 4. The two Spydercos are on the largish side for some tastes but I'm hard on knives and often make use of the heavier blades.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=2&brand=kershaw

I've got three, I think. This one is my favorite. It's a very small knife. I doubt price is a big thing but they are commonly encountered on sale at Walmart for like, $25. I don't know if this model is, as I got mine at Cabela's for $19.95 on sale. A lot of one-handed opening knives...don't. This one does and is very near a switchblade. You got to USE the lock on it as you don't want it opening in your pants. I kept feeling something rubbing me raw when I got my first Kershaw. I investigated and had blood on my thigh. Luckily it hadn't stabbed anything important, but that one now resides in my tractor full-time, for cutting baler twine. My other two have locks. Kershaws open EASILY.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Her BOY is in the US Army.

Oh.... duh.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a cheap one grin i cant keep a good one around, soon as i buy a decent pocket knife its lost inside a month, ive got two that i found that i carry that seem impossible to loose, i may misplace them for a week or two but they always turn back up.....the one im positive i could toss out in the middle of the lake and it would still manage to show back up....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Miss Lynn,

I agree with the Case Stockman for a "traditional" pocketknife.
Three blades of different shapes for different uses, holds an edge well, and should last for years if it isn't used as a pry-bar, screwdriver, or can opener.

I carry the twin of Steelhead's Benchmade Griptilian for heavy-duty cutting and an antique Stockman for more delicate work.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A Case stockman, whittler or muskrat would be good options, although Canal Street makes some real nice pocketknives as well. I use one almost every day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lynn, knives are kind of like is a 270 or 30-06 better. Thousands of different knives are on the market. I use self assist at this time. Most of us will have 10 to 20 knives on hand at any time. So that all means best of luck in your search.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A Ken Onion one hander by Kershaw for my "city" knife and a full size Buck 110 folder when I'm at the ranch.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Her BOY is in the US Army.

Oh.... duh.

Sorry, should have mentioned he is 27 years old.

But thanks for thinking I was young enough to have a little one grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is MY favorite knife. I always have one of this style in my pocket. I use it for everything but cooking and filleting fish.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Pat is your age and he has a LITTLE one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Traditionally the men in my family have carried pocket knives. My brother has my father's knife. My son has hopes in hell of his Father ever passing his down to him, and he knows it. He has mentioned buying one several times over the last little bit, so, I was wondering, does anyone have an recommendations as to a good brand/type of pocket knife I could buy for him ?

Thanks,

Lynn
Here you go: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/M.S.A.-Marbles

If you don't find something there, that site has lots of different high end makes of pocket knives to peruse. Just explore the hyperlinked categories to the left. This one would be nice.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So...you WERE looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will mention that the two Schrades that I have bought recently (trapper and a stockman) both have been kind of a bummer. They both rust freckle badly on the blades only from normal carry, and neither will hold and edge much.

In my experience Kershaws, and Boker seem to come shaving sharp, and hold their edge for a long time.
I just got another Boker for Christmas, it the new Boker Tom Krein Pocket Bowie Neck Knife. Not a pocket knife particularly but a damned hand, and wicked sharp little gem for sure.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Case Trapper.
Can't go wrong with that, but she has now specified high tech, tactical looking, folders, so I guess that's out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can't beat Benchmade then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I been carring one of these for a couple years,seems to be holding up pretty well,considering the beating it gets everyday.I dont like to carry expensive knives,because I often lose them.

[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Lynn:

You don't say for on-duty or off-duty carry. A folding one-handed lockback is always good, but if, say, your son wears a lot of webbing on-duty, or is in and out of trucks and may need to cut stuff off of himself or somebody else in a hurry, Spyderco makes some one-handed folders with all-serrated blades that are highly regarded.

- Tom

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I still can't recommend a knife that requires 2 hands to get into use for the one everyday carry.

That said, you could get him a good one hand open type knife and another 'stylish' type pocket knife.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miss Lynn;
You have received some very good suggestions already.

I favor mainly single bladed knives for daily carry. The only off shore brand or perhaps better said non US or Japanese manufactured knives that I like are those from CRKT which are made in Taiwan, but have remarkable quality for the price- in our experience anyway.

Here is a small sample of some that I've carried daily at work and or hunting that I can recommend.
[Linked Image]

Left to right they are, a Spyderco Delica, a Benchmade (no longer made though), a Spyderco Centofante III, a Spyderco Native, a SOG Twitch II and a very old Leatherman Wave.

Of those, I wouldn't buy the partially serrated blade as seen on the Benchmade again and I've quit carrying the Twitch II, because it plugged with pocket lint very easily.

My current favorites are the Buck Vantage series, here is a couple of Vantage Pro knives, which go for about $50-$60 on ebay.
[Linked Image]

In my seemingly endless search for "the perfect knife", the Vantage series has come closer than any other - for me.

Hopefully that was some use to you. All the best to you and your family in 2011.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1badf350, 1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.