Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
folks who can also managed to shoot the front (versus the rear) shoulders.

The original remark will live on in infamy! grin

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely loved Ralphie shooting Black Bart's Gang in "A Christmas Story"... Every one of them took a BB to the ass and died!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E

I wish I could take credit for it, cause it's a funny one, but I stole it from someone else around the time I shot that deer in the butt. smile

As to "thick chit" I'm well aware it exists in other places. But the pics I was commenting on, weren't it, by my standards anyway.

"Thick chit" is hard to convey in pics. You almost need another person in the pic for scale and perspective.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Pete E

I wish I could take credit for it, cause it's a funny one, but I stole it from someone else around the time I shot that deer in the butt. smile

As to "thick chit" I'm well aware it exists in other places. But the pics I was commenting on, weren't it, by my standards anyway.

"Thick chit" is hard to convey in pics. You almost need another person in the pic for scale and perspective.

laugh
I can't decide if that or the 'blue tape' is better, Jeff.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Better"? Lol....

Wonder if the researchers who were looking into (groan) deer vision have updated their findings lately? I haven't cared cause the simple solution is to just not wear or use blue if a person is so inclined and their hunting methods put them up close to deer... Hmm.... Let me warm up my googler <g>.

Raining like a mofo on Kauai right now! Boogie-board weather. Me and my bro are still working the kinks out of our bodies from yesterday's beating at the hand of the waves. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Better"? Lol....

Wonder if the researchers who were looking into (groan) deer vision have updated their findings lately? I haven't cared cause the simple solution is to just not wear or use blue if a person is so inclined and their hunting methods put them up close to deer... Hmm.... Let me warm up my googler <g>.

Raining like a mofo on Kauai right now! Boogie-board weather. Me and my bro are still working the kinks out of our bodies from yesterday's beating at the hand of the waves. smile

Sand and sun over rain and moss?
wink

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah yeah my bruddah! grin

I especially like the part, below, that I made bold. No blue tape for this lugnut. Hey maybe we can re-ignite this whole thing! How cool would that be?! (kidding!)

....However, a number of other mammals have color vision that is based on only two different cone types; this is dichromatic (two-color) vision. This simplified type of color vision seems to be common among mammals and has been observed in carnivores (e.g. dogs and cats) and ungulates (hoofed mammals). Although vision is predominantly based on rods in these animals (more than 90 percent of the total photoreceptors in their eyes are rods giving them excellent night vision), they have enough cones to provide color vision. Obviously color vision based on only two different cone types is not going to be as good as human color vision that is based on three types. The deficiency in dichromatic color vision is in the ability to discriminate among the colors of objects that reflect light in the middle to long wavelengths, i.e. green, yellow, brown, orange, and red. The ungulates and carnivores with color vision based on only short wavelength sensitive cones and long wavelength sensitive cones, would find these colors difficult or impossible to distinguish. However, for these animals, blue, violet and near ultraviolet (which is invisible to us because it is blocked by the lens) stand out from the other colors. The colors of earthly objects are mostly browns, tans, greens and yellows. To an animal with dichromatic color vision, a sportsman wearing garments that strongly reflect short wavelength light would stand out against these backgrounds like a ripe red tomato on a green vine.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah yeah my bruddah! grin

I especially like the part, below, that I made bold. No blue tape for this lugnut. Hey maybe we can re-ignite this whole thing! How cool would that be?! (kidding!)

....However, a number of other mammals have color vision that is based on only two different cone types; this is dichromatic (two-color) vision. This simplified type of color vision seems to be common among mammals and has been observed in carnivores (e.g. dogs and cats) and ungulates (hoofed mammals). Although vision is predominantly based on rods in these animals (more than 90 percent of the total photoreceptors in their eyes are rods giving them excellent night vision), they have enough cones to provide color vision. Obviously color vision based on only two different cone types is not going to be as good as human color vision that is based on three types. The deficiency in dichromatic color vision is in the ability to discriminate among the colors of objects that reflect light in the middle to long wavelengths, i.e. green, yellow, brown, orange, and red. The ungulates and carnivores with color vision based on only short wavelength sensitive cones and long wavelength sensitive cones, would find these colors difficult or impossible to distinguish. However, for these animals, blue, violet and near ultraviolet (which is invisible to us because it is blocked by the lens) stand out from the other colors. The colors of earthly objects are mostly browns, tans, greens and yellows. To an animal with dichromatic color vision, a sportsman wearing garments that strongly reflect short wavelength light would stand out against these backgrounds like a ripe red tomato on a green vine.

Arrrgh!
I've created a monster.
laugh

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We'll just let it be your fault this time. Dammit, Tim! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought a 6X42 leupold. What a hunk of garbage.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good bait for many...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

I had both the FX-II 6x36 and the FX-III 6x42, it seemed like a nice scope but I never warmed up to the 6x42 and traded it.

Kept the 6x36 and have taken several deer with it.

Ted
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We'll just let it be your fault this time. Dammit, Tim! grin

are you Jeff the deer biologist of known fame?

Just as human ears can't hear some sounds, human eyes can't see some light. These invisible wavelengths include ultraviolet (beyond violet) and infrared (below red). Deer sense colors toward the violet end of the spectrum, so they can see blues and probably even ultraviolet (UV) light. Deer show a slight sensitivity to yellow, but tests indicate that green, orange, and red appear to them as shades of gray.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The kid has an old 6X Leupold on his 6.5X284 - you'd have to take that scope off him at gunpoint!!
Long, short, thik, open country, he uses it everywhere.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by old_willys

I had both the FX-II 6x36 and the FX-III 6x42, it seemed like a nice scope but I never warmed up to the 6x42 and traded it.

Kept the 6x36 and have taken several deer with it.

Two years ago, Dober, myself, and the owner of a well known Montana shootatorium compared the FXIII 6x42 and the FXII 6x36... we were all shocked that the 6x36 appeared brighter... obviously it was a sample of one and something could have been seriously "wrong" with the 6x42, or seriously "right" with the 6x36, but it was evident to each of us.

The 6x36 has a slightly wider FOV than the 6x42... since it's also lighter, smaller and less expensive, I could never see the need for the 6x42.

My almost 50 yo eyes can't use the 7mm exit pupil of the 6x42 anyway... the 6mm of the 6x36 is plenty.

If I were told I could only own one scope, it would be the 6x36 LR.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Send it to Kalispell, I'm pretty sure I could kill a few things with it laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Blasphemer!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's these newfangled things called "variable power scopes" that- get this y'all- actually can be set at many different powers to best suit the needs of the situation at hand! crazy

I know, crazy, right?

They usethis stuff called "modern manufacturing methods" to make them precise and very very reliable.

To top it off, this so-called "new technology" is available to the public without a license required.

What next? Automatic-shifting transmissions? Machines that wash clothes? Boxes that can show moving pictures?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's these newfangled things called "variable power scopes" that- get this y'all- actually can be set at many different powers to best suit the needs of the situation at hand! crazy

I know, crazy, right?

They usethis stuff called "modern manufacturing methods" to make them precise and very very reliable.

To top it off, this so-called "new technology" is available to the public without a license required.

What next? Automatic-shifting transmissions? Machines that wash clothes? Boxes that can show moving pictures?

Jeff, Last Sunday PM I sat on the back deck til' dark with a 3-9x40LR, 6x36LR and 2.5-8x36B&C... the 6x36 was brighter at the end of legal shooting light than the other two. It was relatively mild so I could do it... tonight it's snowing with an expected low of -22F... glad I did it Sunday night. laugh

Fixed power scopes are KISS... Murphy hates the hunt above all things.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
-22F?!

It's 79F and the sunset is purty, and the drinks voluminous, on Kauai! grin

Surely you realize your DF'itude for preferring the 6x36 over the 6x42...? <BSEG>

I could see running a fixed 6 on my elk rigs since they get used in more normal stuff. No way on a rifle that might see blacktail duty though. Could I kill a blacktail with a fixed 6? I'm fer thinkin' I could. But I prefer the option of less X's.

See there now I joined you in DF'itude! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,031
Posts18,500,564
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.