Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Has Jeff Quinn ever met a firearm that he DIDN'T like?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Has Jeff Quinn ever met a firearm that he DIDN'T like?
...........Or, maybe he does reviews on only those firearms he DOES like?

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Can't really see how it's even a decent version of a scout rifle when it misses several of the key concepts so badly; weight, ability to top-load/stripper-feed, use of standard magazines, "glass-filled (aka "plastic") triggerguard... For starters.

Not making it in stainless is just stupid.

Honestly, I find it to a half-assed shot at the concept, with nothing more going for it than the "gunsite" name, and barely that.

Put it in a synthetic stock to shave the weight down to the original "specs" with three sling studs for utilization of the "ching sling", do the bottom metal/TG in steel, do all the steel in stainless, utilize M14 or FN/FAL magazines, have the rear apeture sight be a flip-up ghost ring with tritium inserts, the front sight a post with tritium line, and if possible set up the receiver casting for feed guides for standard 7.62NATO strippers, with the picatinny rail/bases two-piece to accomodate the same.

THAT would be a true fulfillment of Cooper's concept.

Ruger's latest attempt is mediocre, at best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was a gift, maybe. I'd not spend money on one though. Bring the magazine up flush with the stock, and I might even consider carrying it. The rail and brake would have to go though.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
Jeff Quinn "GunBlast" review of the new Gunsite Scout Rifle (12/10/10);

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Gunsite.htm

From that article

I was able to find a set of Ruger to Weaver adaptors, but Dave Biggers at XS Sight Systems came through with a better idea. XS machined a long Picatinny rail to run atop the Ruger receiver and extend in front of the receiver to also accommodate a forward-mounted Scout scope or dot sight. Perfect!

If you'll notice Dave was in the pictures too. So the news of the rifle was out for many weeks in advance for XS to have come up a new rail system.

Which is eerily similar to what I thought Ruger ought to put on Scouts and Compacts last page back.

I'm going to email Dave and suggest they bring out a version with integral flipup sight to mount on Compact, one compatible with Frontiers or any 77. AND a 20 MOA rail that adapts onto the Ruger integral mounts.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/30/10.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another thought:

Reckon Ruger will make those magwell trigger guards available as a part that can be retrofitted to any short action Mk II?

Folks who participate in long range tac/prac matches or like to work over a PD town faster may want one.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe barrel makers will recommend that magazine configuration for pdog shooters, so that they can sell more barrels.

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got to give it to Ruger for trying something new but I just don't get this gun at all. 7 lbs is lightweight? 10 rd mag, etc..If they want to call it a tactical/self defense rifle go ahead, a scout rifle, I just don't see it.

And by the way, the review was so so at best.

Last edited by ChipM; 12/30/10.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by RJM
If one day they make it in stainless, I'll gladly buy one...otherwise I'll just keep what I have...

[Linked Image]

Frontier with a Williams front ramp with XS white line post and NECG rear peep...

Makes a great hunting rifle...

[Linked Image]

Bob

So did you change out the scout scope for a real one to go hunting with?........................DJ

I have hunted with the Frontier both ways... The shot on this doe was at 55 yards+-, moving...the scope was on 2.5 or 3 power and could have just as easily made with the 2,5 IER scope...

It would be nice if they provided one magazine that was flush with the bottom of the triggerguard like the Savage Scout, one 10 round and made an optional 5 round..

There apparently a demand for the now discontinued Frontier in .308. I just sold an extra stainless one I had on GunBroker..it brought $840 bare...like no box, rings..nothing..

But not being stainless I doubt I'll be buying one unless a used one for a great price shows up...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by RJM
If one day they make it in stainless, I'll gladly buy one...otherwise I'll just keep what I have...

[Linked Image]

Frontier with a Williams front ramp with XS white line post and NECG rear peep...

Makes a great hunting rifle...

[Linked Image]

Bob

So did you change out the scout scope for a real one to go hunting with?........................DJ

I have hunted with the Frontier both ways... The shot on this doe was at 55 yards+-, moving...the scope was on 2.5 or 3 power and could have just as easily made with the 2,5 IER scope...

It would be nice if they provided one magazine that was flush with the bottom of the triggerguard like the Savage Scout, one 10 round and made an optional 5 round..

There apparently a demand for the now discontinued Frontier in .308. I just sold an extra stainless one I had on GunBroker..it brought $840 bare...like no box, rings..nothing..

But not being stainless I doubt I'll be buying one unless a used one for a great price shows up...

Bob

........RJM...........Is that Frontier a 308?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ugly and expensive. I do like Scout rifles.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by whiskeyjacked
[Linked Image]

maybe be on my wishlist for 2011!

The ultimate truck gun!

I need someone to buy one so I can play with it.

But, like "The Judge" I won't spend my money on it.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Ugly and expensive. I do like Scout rifles.
............At least my Frontier is better lookin. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would put a thermal scope on it. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
I'm an unabashed fan of Ruger bolt rifles.

No thanks, I don't care for this one any more than I did the Frontier Scout or whatever they called it.

Give me a standard Ruger Compact in .308 Win, anyday.
.................The newer Ruger compacts are NOT all that much different than the Frontier versions. �

Different enough � I have no use for the rail and don�t care for how it looks. Matter of personal taste, not right or wrong.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I'm an unabashed fan of Ruger bolt rifles.

No thanks, I don't care for this one any more than I did the Frontier Scout or whatever they called it.

Give me a standard Ruger Compact in .308 Win, anyday.
.................The newer Ruger compacts are NOT all that much different than the Frontier versions. �

Different enough � I have no use for the rail and don�t care for how it looks. Matter of personal taste, not right or wrong.
..........Ok! Take away the scout base and the heavier barrel which the Frontiers do have, replace it with a lighter barrel, and you still come up with the same rifle as the new Ruger compacts.

However the newer Ruger compacts have the checkered stocks, while the Frontiers did not. I do wish I had the checkered stock on my Frontier though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whiskeyjacked
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Honestly, this is a better solution to the application:

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I like my "poodle shooters" too. Carried one on several continents. I've also seen ballistic gelatin shot with 223 and 308. I'll be buying a Ruger Scout Rifle, and I already have a Steyr Scout.

Just for the record, that looks like an AR10 to me, probably in .308

Correct, a .308 AR-10A4

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks like it would be a fun gun to mess around with. Why not?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I gotta hand it to Ruger though. This company has some big ones and is willing to experiment, innovate, take some risks, and throw some stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

And when they have teamed up with Hornady and others, their successes have definetely showed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,268
Posts18,525,415
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.