Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I gotta hand it to Ruger though. This company has some big ones and is willing to experiment, innovate, take some risks, and throw some stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

And when they have teamed up with Hornady and others, their successes have definetely showed.

+1

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love Ruger but they have had some duds as well.

Remember the .256 Winchester Magnum and the single shot Hawkeye pistol?

Much more recently the .480 Ruger.

It is still too early to judge the RCM's but they aren't setting any sales records yet.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by nsaqam

It is still too early to judge the RCM's but they aren't setting any sales records yet.

No, but I'm betting the 338 will stick around. I won't soon be parting with mine. Not so sure about the 300, which entered an already crowded field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not going to buy one, but as a dedicated hog rifle it might work. Just a random thought.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A 16.5 inch .308 is not something I want to subject myself to. The 16.5 inch .223 is bad enough.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
They have?
..........I hope this won`t go too much your head Swampy.

Let see now! What has Ruger and/or anyone who has teamed up with Ruger, done over the past few recent years?

Hmmmm. This is a toughee! But Swampy, try to set your dislikes aside for a bit, and try and focus on the overall marketplace and what other people may like too?

375 Ruger? How`s about this one for starters? Hornady designed this cartridge based on what Ruger wanted to acomplish for their new rifles namely the African and the Alaskan versions. Don`t see any indications for any market decline with this one, nor can you produce any evidence showing as such. Care to comment on where this cartridge`s popularity will continue to go?

416 Ruger? How about this one too? We all knew this was coming from Hornady and Ruger based on the 375 Ruger casing. It`s becoming more popular there Swampy! Soon, it will be available in the African too.

300 and 338 RCMs? Regardless of what the future may hold for these two, the 338 RCM seems to be holding its own and growing in out there in popularity. Give `em both time. The 20" barreled Hawkeye rifles chambered in these two rounds are very nicely done and are quite powerful for their handier size. But they aren`t quite Remy 700s though. But that is besides the point.

300 Win and 338 Win now available in the African version? Don`t see why these two wouldn`t sell.

How about them Ruger #1s? Now available in a "special edition" animal series. #1s can be had with some Nitro Express offerings too. Ooops, no Swampy discount coupon clippings for that ammo.

I believe that they are going to add on some additional cartridges for the ULs too.

Did I leave out any other recent Ruger accomplishments?

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Gotta love Ruger but they have had some duds as well.

Remember the .256 Winchester Magnum and the single shot Hawkeye pistol?

Much more recently the .480 Ruger.

...........In terms of sales and continuing product popularity, no accomplished company, is going to be perfect everytime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gotta hand it to Ruger though. This company has some big ones and is willing to experiment, innovate, take some risks, and throw some stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

And when they have teamed up with Hornady and others, their successes have definetely showed.

Well said and a good point.

Just because this rifle might not be my or your cup of tea, it might be someone else's dream rifle. Why not have some variety out there?.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would call all except the .375 Ruger Hawkeye African a failure.

esp. the #1s

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And as usual you would be wrong.

They weren't expecting to sell millions of them the first year, especially the 416. You'd have to have a Ruger insider tell you the actual expectations and figures but they all seem to have done reasonably well.

Success depends on your expectations and how you define it.......................DJ

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
bigsqueeze - Why are you feeding the troll? Or, if you prefer a more accurate analogy... arguing with the retarded?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right now they can't keep stocks on the .416............

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Frontier
[Linked Image]

Gunsite Scout
[Linked Image]

Compact
[Linked Image]

Ok! Take away the scout base and the heavier barrel which the Frontiers do have, replace it with a lighter barrel, and you still come up with the same rifle as the new Ruger compacts.

Or, I could just start where I want to end up - with a Compact (or an Ultra Light with the 20: bbl) � wink

One thing about the Gunsite Scout � I could load the magazine, take 4 antelope in Wyoming, a deer and a couple elk in Colorado and still have bullets left over for next year�

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

esp. the #1s
.............You are certainly no marketing expert Swampy. You are basing your opinion only on what YOU happen to like and dislike vs what the general shooting and hunting public likes and dislikes.

So I guess that by your esteemed judgement, the 416 Ruger and the #1s are going to be thrown under the bus by the shooting public someday? Other than what you think, do you have some evidence to that affect?

Have some evidence too that the 300 and 338 RCMs, aren`t at least holding their own, or that they too will be tossed aside someday?

Do you have any sales figures regarding the Ruger Africans chambered in the 300 and 338 Winhester Mags?

Do you get inside access to Ruger corporate sales meetings discussing what is selling well and what is not???

Like I stated in my last post, which you have not been able to do. "Setting your bias and dislikes aside?"

You cannot judge the future successes of any product based only on your own judgement calls via one`s own personal bias, likes and dislikes. The general public will do that.

Of course on the other hand, if one day I ever see the name Swamp replacing the name "Sturm" I might tend to agree more with you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
bigsqueeze - Why are you feeding the troll? Or, if you prefer a more accurate analogy... arguing with the retarded?
..........Because I feel sorry for hungry trolls?... laugh

Swampy? A troll and retarded too!.........Naaaaa!....He`s fun debating with. I hand him a paint brush and he simply paints himself into a corner everytime.... laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This has nothing to do with my likes and dislikes. Ruger simply reinvents the wheel. Why would anyone buy the stuff they've comeup with lately.

The #1s aren't accurate enough to be interesting. The .416 will die unless they can solve the splitting stock issues. It wouldn't be the first time Ruger jumped the gun and then cancelled a product.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Right now they can't keep stocks on the .416............
.............Yeah, I know, but not with all 416 Rugers.....Can you name for me one firearms maker, that hasn`t had any bugs to work out? Remington has never had bugs to work out? Hmmmmm?

You seem to walk a mile in everyone`s shoes without first trying them on.

Ruger with time, will solve their stock splitting issues. My friend`s Ruger African stock is still doing fine. That darn fugly Hogue on my Alaskan hasn`t split yet.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm clearly in the minority, but I will likely buy one, although I wish it had 20" barrel and was chambered in 260. This rifle is obviously a bolt action response to the AR-10/LR-308. While I think the latter is a better option for when the grid goes down, they cost a fair amount more and the odds of being in a serious gunfight are still small. Jeff Cooper was no idiot, and a tactical bolt action has merit.

JV

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This has nothing to do with my likes and dislikes. Ruger simply reinvents the wheel. Why would anyone buy the stuff they've comeup with lately.

The #1s aren't accurate enough to be interesting. The .416 will die unless they can solve the splitting stock issues. It wouldn't be the first time Ruger jumped the gun and then cancelled a product.
..........So what if they re-invent the wheel. Welcome to the world of marketing Swampy. If companies in any business don`t continually re-invent the wheel in some fashion, they stagnate.

The reason why you happen to think Ruger simply re-invents the wheel is because, that`s the only reason that you can come with that justifies your bias thinking against them. Even though you dislike most of Ruger`s newer offerings and innovations, many will buy the Ruger products whether you happen to dislike them or not.

Ruger`s world of product innovating, marketing and sales, does not revolve around Swampy 700, Big Squeeze nor anyone else as individuals alone. Success or failure, is determined by what the overall shooting public likes and dislikes.

When you take over Ruger someday and change things around to be aka "Swampy-Ruger Inc" then I`ll give you more credit in terms of what succeeds and what fails.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that smaller numbers of limited edition type rifles might be a wave of the future. Spyderco has been very successful with it's "Sprint Runs" of knives, enough so that other knife companies have started to emulate the Sprint Runs. Savage seems to have been brought back from the near dead with lots of variations of their 110 action.

I don't know that for 99% of North American Hunting a Bolt Action 30-06 with a 4x scope wouldn't be everything you ever "need", but how exciting would that be? Gone are the days when most avid hunters only own one gun, most of us here own several or even dozens. Why buy the same gun over and over again?

In my mind it's smart to come up with variations that might kindle new interest in customers that already own what you used to make.

Advancements come from experimentation and innovation. Not everything is going to be successfull long term but the idea of developing and experimenting with product lines is bound to come up with some useful new products.

I'd also give Kudo's to Hornady for all the new Reloading equipment they've been coming out with. I haven't bought all of the stuff they' ve come out with and maybe all of it isn't the best of it's kind available but they are at least stimulating the market with new and interesting products. Some of Ruger's new rifles fit the same category.........................DJ

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.