Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
link to article
When John Boehner takes over one of the most powerful jobs in Washington this week, he says his first order of business is to make himself less powerful.

On Wednesday the new speaker of the House of Representatives plans to offer a package of rule changes that, he says, will give minority-party members more of a say and decentralize power. In short, Ohio Republican Mr. Boehner is promising he'll be a different figure from many speakers throughout history�from Republican Joseph Cannon a century ago to his immediate predecessor, Democrat Nancy Pelosi�who kept a tighter leash.
But there's a reason so many speakers try to keep close control: It works.

"New speakers always say they want to have a more open process," says Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York Democrat. "Then the sheer demands of making the trains run on time and getting things passed requires that you change your mind."

How this tension is resolved�between Mr. Boehner's promises and the need to get things done�will help determine the success of the new Republican majority. The GOP is in a hurry to show that it's different, not just from Democrats but from its old self. Mr. Boehner himself was catapulted into a GOP leadership role in 2006 after a fund-raising scandal deposed then-majority leader Tom DeLay.

Mr. Boehner now finds himself master of a Republican majority created by a group of newcomers whose hallmark is a restless cry for action. On issues from cutting spending to raising the government's debt ceiling, Mr. Boehner's burden will be letting his freshmen members vent while keeping the House on track.
His pledge to reshape Congressional practices isn't aimed at Beltway wonks, but at voters who view Congress as the epitome of a dysfunctional government. A primary example cited by Republicans: President Barack Obama's health overhaul, which they criticize as having been written by a small group of Democratic party leaders who traded favors with key lawmakers. Democrats reject that, saying the bill included many Republican ideas and played out in public for nearly a year.

Mr. Boehner has promised to give more power to committee chairmen, and to put cameras in meetings of the powerful Rules Committee, which sets guidelines for congressional debate.

"I'm going to run the House my way and work with members on both sides of the aisle to decide what should come to the floor and what shouldn't come to the floor," Mr. Boehner told reporters recently. He declined a request for an interview.

One of Wednesday's first votes could be Mr. Boehner's package of rule changes. Among them:

� Lawmakers will be required to vote on whether or not to raise the federal debt ceiling, a move sought by tea-party representatives. Current rules let the House automatically raise the limit when they pass a budget.

� All legislation must be posted online 72 hours before going to the House floor to prevent party leaders from changing bills the night before House votes, as has been the practice over the years.

GOP House members are expected to approve the changes at a meeting on Tuesday, making passage most likely a formality when the full House votes.

Sam......

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wish the incoming freshman reps could go straight to leadership roles. They haven't been neutered yet.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We got dudes with names like Weiner and Boner running the country. We're screwed, literally.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have very little faith in Bonner.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Wow.... business as f'kin' usual. Whodathunkit?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
We got dudes with names like Weiner and Boner running the country. We're screwed, literally.

John Boehner's name is pronounced "Bay-ner"..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The GOP hasn't even begun day one and folks are complaining. Go frikken figure!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey at least give the guy a chance. I would not believe anything that little pinhead Weiner says. He is named just right. Boehner HAS to better than NAZI Pelosi, a [bleep] would be better than that witch!

NRA Patron Member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love how they go to a Democrat to get sound bites on how the Republican Speaker is going to act. In fact there's not one quote in there about what Boehner is saying he'll be doing, just a bunch of sound bites that make him look weak.

White House is scared of Boehner, and so are the Senate Democrats. With luck he'll be making them go on record with votes to keep stuff that the American people never wanted.

Give him a chance..

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
The GOP hasn't even begun day one and folks are complaining. Go frikken figure!

the GOP RINOs have a track record to ponder. Go frikken figure why they have not EARNED our trust yet. laugh

Sam......

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I understand that pitch but this new Congress hasn't even had a second to try and earn it, as yet.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So, having read the article, to the OP, what exactly is your b!tch or complaint about Boehner?

To those who throw the RINO around so flippantly, who exactly is a RINO? Is it the label you throw when you just want to throw a tantrum?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't give up just yet, boys.

Boehner comes from a district where the Tea Party controls nearly everything. Not saying he won't get out of line, but if he does, he is going to hear about it from credible authorities.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
I understand that pitch but this new Congress hasn't even had a second to try and earn it, as yet.

all the more reason Bob, to keep their dang noses to the grind stone. I won't cut them any slack at all.
The specter of 1996 haunts me.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Schnitzengruben
So, having read the article, to the OP, what exactly is your b!tch or complaint about Boehner?

To those who throw the RINO around so flippantly, who exactly is a RINO? Is it the label you throw when you just want to throw a tantrum?

so having read your screed, who the [bleep] are YOU? Go troll somewhere else, douche bag.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep.. looking like a total screw up to me.

NOT!

Love the first order of business.

Attached Images
HealthCare.JPG (18.33 KB, 227 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like we're all ready to jump some R's if they stray....GOOD.

Let's cut 'em some slack until they earn our wrath.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LISA MURKOWSKI!!!!! She's the epitome of a f'ing RINO! That female genitalia voted for the Dream Act, Omnibus Bill & DADT. She would best exemplify a RINO. She should pull an Arlen Spectar and switch parties!

Wook

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RINO Weasle

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
our country is in a mess, and politics will not pull us out of it...
leadership, however, just might...

and any leader is going to have to lead all of us...

i think the guy has good instincts... doubt if he'll make the hill he's got to climb, but i'm pulling for him....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 60 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.