Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
From time to time I go to Alabama and hunt with a friend who raises dogs and does guided quail hunts. I mentioned to him that I was thinking about getting a dog but had not decided which breed. He asked if I wanted to take Lilly home.

Now get this--Lilly is 7 years old and a joy to hunt over. She points , backs, and retrieves with the best of them but she is getting older and is slower than the other dogs in his kennel. She doesn't have the stamina she once did. ( Neither do I )

Long story short is that Lilly is coming to live with me next week. I had a puppy in mind but won't complain one bit about this old girl. We have hunted together several times and I have seen first-hand how she performs. I am thrilled!

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Congrats, GSP's are tough to beat.

Montani Semper Liberi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got a real deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take two!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Bull on a excellent hunting buddy!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
that is a great deal for you. Both Lily and yourself should win in this situation.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did the same thing. Took a Field Trial GSP second at @ one year old. That was 12 years ago. Best bird dog I have had. Best part is she routinely out works others that she was thought "inferior" to in real world hunts. She just needed some time and consistent seasoning. Nice pick up.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
bull

Congratulations and a hope for many happy years together.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bull I just sold a fine bred male GSP pup to a gentleman down in Alabama, his girls are having a great time teaching how to be a real Southern birddog.LOL

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bull - Sounds like a win-win situation. Congrats on your new pal.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Congratulations on the newest member of the family! My girl, Lola is asleep under my feet as I type this. I just love this breed! Please post a photo of your girl. Below is the link to a photo of Lola, ready to go!
rob

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FIME9cvrwwKZQ3DTaV0q2hgrTSLT9C6CxI3JzUkmAJ4?feat=directlink

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by fyshbum
I did the same thing. Took a Field Trial GSP second at @ one year old. That was 12 years ago. Best bird dog I have had. Best part is she routinely out works others that she was thought "inferior" to in real world hunts. She just needed some time and consistent seasoning. Nice pick up.

I'm not surprised at that, trialing and hunting are two real different things. I don't know if you've ever spent a day trying to keep up with a top running trial dog but it's not my idea of hunting, at least for the bird hunting I do. I run a setter that trialers would snicker about but give me a few days with them in the chukar hills!

I have a year old shorthair coming home soon too. I got him as a rescue dog, buddy has had him the last 6 months or so. He's doing really well, coming home soon! BTW, every dog post needs a pic! Here's Duke.

[Linked Image]

And Ben:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by luckyguy; 01/15/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BEAUTIFUL DOGS!!!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well done; we have soft spots for these dogs, have had one or more for most of the lat 30 years. Our current dog, now 10, still hunts hard, lots of stamina, nose that won't quit. Sleeps in daughter's bedroom...not a bit spoiled!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GF1
Well done; we have soft spots for these dogs, have had one or more for most of the lat 30 years. Our current dog, now 10, still hunts hard, lots of stamina, nose that won't quit. Sleeps in daughter's bedroom...not a bit spoiled!

Here he is:

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was given a 3 year old GSP last May and we have been having fun together ever since. Maggie is a good girl:

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
bull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'll try to get some pictures of Lilly to post. She looks almost exactly like Maggie. Gonna take her and my AH Fox AE grade out this next weekend. Should be fun.

Just got back from deer camp and she stayed in the cabin with us. Over the fireplace mantle is a big print of a Pointer locked up on birds. Lilly put both front paws up on the mantle and stared intently at that print for the longest time. Probably waiting for someone to flush the birds!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by luckyguy
Here's Duke.

[Linked Image]

And Ben:

[Linked Image]

Great lookin' pups!

I'm partial to GSPs but I really like Ben's tail.....VERY stylish!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
bull Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The inevitable has happened. Lilly has moved in and stolen my wife's heart. Caught her on www.drsfostersmith.com picking out dog beds cause Lilly needed a softer place to sleep.
Oh and it was too cold in the garage ( about 45 degrees ) so Lilly sleeps in my den now.

Life is good here.....old dogs are great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ReaperCrew
Congrats, GSP's are tough to beat.

Well...from a die-hard Griffon and Lewellin man...

you're 100% correct. They are great bird dogs, no argument. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my goofball
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 1badf350, 163bc, 70 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,643
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.