-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fell in love with the ergos of this stock. Anyone know if the Sako Varmint McMillan is the same shape?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes, they are. Got one late summer. NICE!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks HawkI! Fantastic news!

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Now do it!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Be aware that the McMillan Sako Varminter has a much shorter forearm than the factory Sako Varminter stocks and makes for a very awkward looking and feeling rifle when anything longer than a 22" barrel is used with them. A proper varmint stock should have a longer forearm for the fatter longer barrels typically found on a varmint rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I should have been more specific. I want the Sako Vixen sporter stock not the stock for the heavy barrel. Is the McM Sako Varmint the version for the heavy barrel with the wider forend? It doesn't look like McM replicates the Vixen Sporter at least from what I can see on their site?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
This is a Sako Varmint factory wood and a Sako McMillan Varmint. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

221 is correct, the McMillan version is slightly shorter at the forend length, but only about 1/2 to 3/4 in. The McMillan does have a slight palmswell and more rounded buttstock, but neither are obtrusive IMO and I feel it is better all around. The sides from reciever to forend are virtually the same, but the McMillan will have more rounded contours.

You can get a Sako Hunter, Classic or Varmint for the Vixen, I believe. Verify with Rick Bin or ShootToWin (Ryan from McMillan). As far as getting the Sako sporter without the cheekpiece, no I don't believe so. You will have to specify sporter barrel. The Hunter pattern is a darn good one though.

Hope that helps...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the assistance! Definitely not the stock I was looking for. I'm just not sure if the Hunter or Classic is the same stock that I shouldered in the store on the vixen. I shouldered the standard Sako's side by side to this vixen at Gander and they felt significantly larger in the hands ie.. grip area. Doesn't look like McM makes the shape that I fell in love with, might just have to keep the factory one. Model I am looking for is something like this:

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
No,

Most of the older Sako's have fairly thin profile factory stocks and McMillan does not make replicas of them; the Varmint is the only one that is close.

I've never handled a Classic, but that is about as close to those lines (handling wise, not profile) as you will get. It would at least keep a petite rifle petite, which is what the Rhiimaki and Vixen sporter stocks do. for those little actions.

The Hunter is a "fuller" stock all around, more like the Sako 75 stocks of the newer versions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be looking to a Sako Classic also. It's a fairly trim pattern and I've seen photos on this board of baby Sako's in that stock. I've only had one stock in that pattern and it felt good to my hands.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
HawkI, it looks like your factory Sako Varminter is an AI model? If you compare the McMillan Sako Varminter to the Sako factory Varminter for the latter S491 action you will see the more rounded features and palm swell line up between the two better. However, the McMillan forearm is even shorter when compared to the S491 based factory Varminter if I remember correctly (I no longer have my factory S491 stocked rifle). I believe the Sako 75 factory Varminter stock is the best of them all. It is perfect in every dimension for me. It is the best holding stock their is for up to a medium/heavy varmint rifle. It has a long LOP, palm swell, cheek piece, and a nice long forearm.

Ryan from McMillan, if you are reading this, could you please provide the same forearm dimension (rear action screw to forearm tip) that you posted in the Tikka thread for your Sako 75 Varminter mold?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes, your right, its an AI.

Your prolly right on the S41 factory stock too, though I haven't seen one for a while.

The tube on the McMillan stocked rifle is 21 inches....(grins)

J
J
So, do you guy know of any other stockmakers who make something light and svelt for the Vixen? I have a 6 PPC sporter that wants to be a four pound (alright, five--but only if I can't do four) .264 LBC AR. Or be traded for one....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jonno
So, do you guy know of any other stockmakers who make something light and svelt for the Vixen? I have a 6 PPC sporter that wants to be a four pound (alright, five--but only if I can't do four) .264 LBC AR. Or be traded for one....

I researched this recently...... McMillan, Brown Precision, and Bansner/High Tech are the only three I could come up with!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
McMillan Classic; Edge.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a sako classic coming for my A1 6ppc repeater. Probably should have ordered it in edge and paint but went for dessert camo instead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,384
Posts18,506,743
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.