Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Electric Augers?? Propane Augers??

WOW! I am behind the times...

frown

I've got an old Strike Master hand auger that still does the job. It works just fine as long as the operator doesn't run out of gas. smile

That's probably the route I'll go Bill. I just want to see what everyone thinks of the new gadgets. I am going to look into the 4 stroke's a bit more, but I don't think I'm going to go the 12v route.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I think if you have a perm house and you have a bank of deep cycle 12 volt and or a generator with a converter/charger then the 12 volt might be the way to go.

The 4 stroke LP thing may catch on because gasoline truly is a problem these days on any seasonal engine.

But they need to bomb proof it before I buy one because nothing beats gear up like ice fishing on a big lake. Stuff just needs to be strong, very strong.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I can go to a store, look at all the new augers and point at all the parts that are going to break.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Tom, check your PM's

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no problem Dave, I know what you mean on needing a weekend to recharge the batteries.
went out last night, I was skunked but Kendra caught 2 crappies.

my auger is an old husky, lighter than any I've ever seen, fires up like a dream and is laser fast. the quit makin em in the 80's and I'm dreading when this one croaks. luckily I have a spare for parts that doesn't run anymore

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I like my 3HP strikemaster just fine too. I bought it new in 94 I think, 10" hole for them big pike.

It's been and still is a really good auger, simple single chipper blade like the old jiffy's had. I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been online for the last 3 hours looking for a job. this really stinks. There is nothing around here. Nothing I'm qualified for anyway.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Send me an e-mail. I might be able to help you tonight. I did it everyday for like 4 months.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well Muffy, I hope you can find a job. Good luck with the search.

As far as an ice auger goes, it is much cheaper and easier if you dont buy one at all and instead befriend someone who has one! grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxOHP6lpiY - Cached..

Check this ice auger video out..Its called kluge made in i think clearwater MN.. Cant find there website i hope the video works, there pretty fast..

Only downside there almost 1000.00 bucks....

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I can't say I'm a schooled ice fisherman, even if I am a former Minnesotan, but heck, this doesn't look like such a big deal to me. Hell, we used a hand turned auger or spud (40# chisel) and it wasn't such a big deal.

But I do like hearing about all the new solutions to something I never knew was such a problem. smile

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck with that on 4 feet of ice. Sure it works, but there are improved ways to do it.

I have a car now too, no more horse and buggy to work. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Holy Chit that thing fast, but don't think I'd pay a grand for one.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I live in a house. No teepee for me. we even have indoor plumbing. grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Checkin' in from the middle of the Mitten here. We got back from our hunting trip to New Mexico on the 30th. Once home I came down with a killer case of the respiratory crud and have spent the last 5 days laying around the house being miserable. The hunting part of the trip has some mixed feelings but I sure learned alot. The country in New Mexico is really something. I'd been most places in the U.S. and a few abroad but NM was different yet again. Our Elk hunt was via a couple of landowner authorization permits, and as it turned out on two seperate ranches. Set up by an Outfitter that came recommended highly. It would be safe to say that we had the best you can have, and the worst you can possibly have in a guided hunt all rolled into one. We staggered our hunting dates so Bruce and I could stay together and the first part of the hunt, guided by the outfitter himself, was about as disappointing an experience as one could have. It turned out he had never seen this ranch in the daylight and had put no effort into scouting. His whole idea of hunting was drive around the ranch until about 7:30 am then park on a hillside and nap until 8:30. Then retreat to the bunkhouse where we could cook him breakfast and then he could sleep some more. This was my part of the hunt and to say the least I was in a bit of shock the first morning. By the second day I was fit to be tied and finally said so. I didn't drive 1750 miles and pay for the priviledge of watching this guy eat and sleep and told him so. I suppose that drove a huge wedge in things right there but if it did so be it. I finally struck out on my own as best I could and made the best of it because we had half the hunt to go and knowing it was in another location with another guide I didn't want to blow that out of the water on the chance it could be salvaged. The last blow was when the ranch owner (a 83 yr old lady) came around on the last day to ask why we hadn't used the 4 wheelers or the horses she'd offered the outfitter so we could explore the far reaches of the ranch. I'm still speechless in a lot of respects....but now on the Hunt Two.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunt Two as we came to call it saw us moving about 60 miles to the area of Alamogordo NM and a meeting with a different guide that works for said outfitter. Expecting the worst we were shocked yet again, and in the best of ways. This man was a true proffesional and from the moment his wife served us coffee I could tell we struck gold. This guy knew the property he was working inside and out, had been scouting every day since his last hunter came thru 10 days before and was equipped with maybe even more desire than we had left to have a good hunt. He put us in good positions every day and explained and taught us about the land and the habits of the elk and on the fourth day Bruce killed a great 6X6 with his 375 JDJ Contender pistol. It was a trip salvaged, not because we got an animal but because of the sheer effort put forth on all fronts by this good man. I never saw an elk on my hunt but that didn't alone ruin it. Game is always a bonus on any hunt and I've come home without on some of my best hunts. The total lack of effort by the outfitter left me feeling we didn't even try. Anyway....we got to see some awesome country and do some quality hunting for part of it and overall it was the trip of my lifetime...negatives included. I rolled into Ok. to the kids place where I pulled the complete suprise on Christmas Eve. Even Lisa didn't know thats what I was planning so I shocked them all. That was the icing on the trip. Seeing the grandkids made the whole expedition....:)

Scott

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some pics.....some of the country...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Elk in a freefall along with 2 guys...lol
[Linked Image]

Bruce's Trophy

[Linked Image]

Taking care of business...

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The whole animal, much larger that our Michigan Elk in the body

[Linked Image]

The next part took about 4 hours...lol

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You had a hellova hunt Scott. Sorry to hear of the first part, but it looks like guide #2 made up for it.

Great bull taken by your buddy, and with a handgun no less. Extra cool points.

Hey Uncle Dusty do have one of the 375 JDJ's yet? I'd like to shoot it if you do. smile

Page 580 of 1,842 1 2 578 579 580 581 582 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.