Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Azar and Aletheuo - Thank You

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Guess thats why I like the Winchester Power Point.On big game moose bear ect I've always had WAY better performance from the Win bullet over the Interlock.Though I do have respect for the 30 cal 190gr BTSP Interlock thats it.

7 STW,

According to Gary Sciuchetti in his monumental test of 180 grain 30 caliber bullets, there are two different designs of Power Point bullet in that weight/caliber - one for the 30-06, and a tougher one for the 300 mag. Which one do you have the good experiences with?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Howdy Big Redhead

The 300 Win mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Howdy Big Redhead

The 300 Win mag.

Are they factory loads?

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colin yes they were from the factory Super X ammo line.Wasn't even aware of the 2 different 30 cal slugs until now.Wonder which ones come in bulk?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yes, the elk was killed.

The problem is that Hornady Interlocks have long been known as the "poor man's premium," because they almost never separated core and jacket. On a broadside rib shot on a deer a 180 .30 would just about always exit, and exit most of the time even on elk. Additionally, because they held together so well, Interlocks could be relied on to break considerable bone and still penetrate pretty deeply, unlike some cup-and-core bullets.

In fact, some hunters claim Interlocks compare to Nosler Partitions in penetration, given the same weight and diameter of bullet. My experience doesn't quite agree with that, but I have seen a lot of Interlocks perform very well on game larger than deer. Part of the reason was that they held together pretty darn well, retaining anywhere from 50-70% of their weight.

In the instance here the bullet did not even stay together on a broadside rib shot on a cow elk. Yes, it killed the elk, but on any sort of angling and/or bone shot, it might not have penetrated sufficiently. That is a long way from "poor man's premium" performance.

There have been other reports along those lines about recent Interlock performance, and it turns out that the Interlock ring has indeed been moved forward, at least in recent 180-grain .30 Spire Points.

The reason the bullet in question came apart is that the jacket peeled back to the point where the Interlock didn't retain the core. If the Interlock ring were still in the same place it used to be on the same bullets, 1/10th of an inch further down inside the jacket, the core wouldn't have left the jacket, because the jacket didn't peel back that far.

If you don't see the problem with that, then you don't understand why so many people have relied on the Hornady Interlock for so long, choosing the Interlock above many other cup-and-core bullets because it could be relied on to penetrate big game.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the circumstances to me.I now understand your concern.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do know that the 180 gr powerpoint in 308 win is very tough. About 7-8 years ago I shot a few factory loads of the win 180 silvertip (not BT) and 180 powerpoint at dry paper at about 25 yards. The 180 powerpoint went the deepest by far. I forget the details of weight retention, etc but based a few rounds into paper it made a good impression on me.

I suspect it is the same 180 gr pp bullet in the 300 wm, 3006, and component bags nowadays but don't know for sure.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man

5sdad, Never been ashamed of any pushfeed M70 I own a pre XTR 25-06, a USRA m70 Featherweight 6.5x55, a Win M70 300 Win Mag, and a Win M70 XTR 338 Win mag they all shoot well and are dead reliable. Don't have any crf M70's and don't know why I'd trade any of mine for a crf variety.
Magnum Man

Good for you! I would glady take any of them. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone have a box of new production 180 grain interlock 300 weatherby ammo? Curious to see if they are supplying Norma with the old style interlock? That would account for the box of ID ring interlocks in between two lots of newer ones. Thanks.

Last edited by Aletheuo; 01/06/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only recovered one Power Point from a moose neck.Every other PP has always exited from my 300.Through and through.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've also had good luck with Power Points. They're usually very accurate too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shot nothing but 130-grain power points out of one particular .270 for many years. Although that rifle has since become something of a safe queen, the power points gave good accuracy and accounted for a lot of deer and hogs with zero performance issues.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've also had good luck with Power Points. They're usually very accurate too!

Same for me John.My favorite old standard cup and core bullet by far.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I realize that the 'fire' represents a fraction of Hornady's business, but it would sure be nice to hear their side of the story. While not an Interlock customer, I've heard nothing but good things about the .338 200 Interlock. I'm not happy with Speer for messing with their designs in such a way as the .338 200 Hot Cor may go away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a new box of 130gr. 270's. Hope they didn't change them because I've had nothing but good luck with the old ones.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 10 years ago (pre-campfire) I read some stuff online about how the Hornady 6.5 129 SP was surprisingly soft. I shot a Texas doe with that bullet out of a 6.5x55 at 100 yards. Slightly quartered away, the coreless jacket was found in the off shoulder, not performance Hornady is known for. However, I never heard any more bad reports about that bullet and I sold the Swede. I chalked it up to a bad batch of bullets that got out of Hornady's door.

Could that be what happened in this case?

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
Does anyone have a box of new production 180 grain interlock 300 weatherby ammo? Curious to see if they are supplying Norma with the old style interlock? That would account for the box of ID ring interlocks in between two lots of newer ones. Thanks.

Weatherby is listing interlocks in their catalog as below. I can't imagine getting 70-80% weight retention on a new interlock when driven at weatherby velocities.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Aletheuo

Weatherby is listing interlocks in their catalog as below. I can't imagine getting 70-80% weight retention on a new interlock when driven at weatherby velocities.

What PROOF do you (or anyone else here) provide to refute Hornady's claim ?

I have not seen any real evidence that that even the new batches of the flat based Interlock still do not perform as advertised on game.

Last edited by jim62; 01/07/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy solution--

Poor mans premium = Nosler Partition 2nds...........

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Actually thought we would cut some bullets in half to see if the interlock was in the same place Magnum Man

so I thought about different ways of doing this and came to the conclusion I was over thinking what was needed. I took a older 165 gr Btsp interlock and a older 180 sp flatbase interlok and put them horizontally in a vise to hold them and used a flat smooth file on them. after an appropriate amount of strokes to expose the interlock I found that the 180 gr Interlock (top edge)located at .200" from the outside bottom of the bullet and the 165 gr btsp top edge of the Interlock was .315" above the bottom of the bullet. So what were the new ones ? Magnum Man

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.