Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In terms of price, it isn't going to benefit consumers. If they make a change, they will either 1)not make it possible for consumers to distinguish between the old and new model bullets, so that consumers will continue to unknowingly purchase the old bullets until they are gone or 2) if they do decide to make it possible to identify old and new, they will not drop the price on the old, but will just raise the price on the new. In the latter case, the consumers will have the choice of 1)paying the same price for the "old new" bullets that they didn't like as they did for the "original" bullets that they wish they still had or 2)paying more for the "new new" bullets that they really never wanted in the first place because they were happy with the "original" bullets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

M
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In terms of price, it isn't going to benefit consumers. If they make a change, they will either 1)not make it possible for consumers to distinguish between the old and new model bullets, so that consumers will continue to unknowingly purchase the old bullets until they are gone or 2) if they do decide to make it possible to identify old and new, they will not drop the price on the old, but will just raise the price on the new. In the latter case, the consumers will have the choice of 1)paying the same price for the "old new" bullets that they didn't like as they did for the "original" bullets that they wish they still had or 2)paying more for the "new new" bullets that they really never wanted in the first place because they were happy with the "original" bullets.

I agree. It's what's called charging what the market will bear. There is no reason why the monolithic bullets cost what they do. They should in fact cost less than a regular cup and core bullet. It disgusts me that I can pay $80.00 per thou for my lead handgun bullets, and $50.00 for 50 pure copper bullets. They take the same time to manufacture, but the pure copper bullets have a "premium" label attached to them that enable the manufacturers to charge far more than they're worth (these are canadian prices by the way). This isn't one company in particular either, because "ALL" of the manufacturers charge the same for their monolithic bullets.
The kicker is that I felt that it was wise to just move to the monolithic bullets now, as British Columbia is probably going to move to the same stupid rules as California sooner rather than later due to the same stupid beurocratic bull. Once one government has gotten away with hosing the consumer, it leaves it wide open for all of the others, because there must have been a reason, in their eyes. Also, when one company gets away with charging way too much for a product, it leaves the door open for all the others.
When Barnes first started production of the X bullet, due to low production to a specialty market, development costs, and increased marketing costs; it might have cost more to make their bullets. I doubt that is the case now. And that's the same for Hornady and Nosler with their monolithic bullets. Instead of looking at the actual cost of manufacture and setting their price there, they looked at what the competition was charging, and did the same. This is a perfect example of price fixing, and I don't think that any of the current companies are above this at this time.
Mike

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mikeshickele

I agree. It's what's called charging what the market will bear. There is no reason why the monolithic bullets cost what they do. They should in fact cost less than a regular cup and core bullet. It disgusts me that I can pay $80.00 per thou for my lead handgun bullets, and $50.00 for 50 pure copper bullets. They take the same time to manufacture, but the pure copper bullets have a "premium" label attached to them that enable the manufacturers to charge far more than they're worth (these are canadian prices by the way). This isn't one company in particular either, because "ALL" of the manufacturers charge the same for their monolithic bullets.
The kicker is that I felt that it was wise to just move to the monolithic bullets now, as British Columbia is probably going to move to the same stupid rules as California sooner rather than later due to the same stupid beurocratic bull. Once one government has gotten away with hosing the consumer, it leaves it wide open for all of the others, because there must have been a reason, in their eyes. Also, when one company gets away with charging way too much for a product, it leaves the door open for all the others.
When Barnes first started production of the X bullet, due to low production to a specialty market, development costs, and increased marketing costs; it might have cost more to make their bullets. I doubt that is the case now. And that's the same for Hornady and Nosler with their monolithic bullets. Instead of looking at the actual cost of manufacture and setting their price there, they looked at what the competition was charging, and did the same. This is a perfect example of price fixing, and I don't think that any of the current companies are above this at this time.
Mike

Mike,

I managed a high end Target grade cast lead bullet making firm from 2002- 2004. We sold a bit to Canada and there are some very important realities you simply refuse to acknowledge.

You know why mono- metal bullets cost more than regular Cup and core slugs? Well first of all, the raw materials ARE more expensive.. Mono metal bullets are MOSTLY COPPER. Copper is THREE TIMES the cost of lead. Also, with the exception of the older Barnes X type bullets most new mono metal and other premium slugs are plastic tipped. They have the same number of "parts" and processes involved in making them that a a non tipped cup and core slug would. So mono metal slugs are NOT "simpler make". Also, newer Mono metal slugs have more $$ invested in them in design R&D and new dies, manufacturing process etc.

You mentioned sales volumes and economy of scale. Most shooters DO NOT buy premium bullets.The market for "premium" bullets is still relatively small compared to the total jacketed bullet market. So, the amount of money amortized into the cost of each box of new mono metal slugs for R&D and tooling is thus higher due to their lower sales volume.

As to the pricing situation in Canada,unlike the cast lead handgun bullets you mentioned costing $80 per thousand , the US made jacketed bullets are IMPORTED.

The CAST lead handgun bullets sold in Canada are mostly likely made in your country .They are also most likely made of cheaper scrap lead alloys which cost probably 1/5 of the high grade copper and gilding metal alloys which make up most premium mono metal bullets.

Also, the tooling and equipment needed to cast bullets on a commercial level is MUCH less expensive than the tooling make precision jacketed slugs in volume to the level of quality demanded in the marketplace.. I know this for a FACT.

Once the wholesale price in US dollars is established for a box of US made jacket rifle bullets, then there is your sometimes weaker Canadian dollar, Canadian import tariffs,customs paperwork/ fees, shipping costs. At that point, you are only up to the TRUE wholesale price to a dealer/distributor in Canada. Then you must add the retail markup so your gunshops can pay their high Canadian business taxes added to that. All of which means that a box of 50 premium bullets only costing $30 here in the US will cost you $50 in Canada.

The free market IS working. If you want to find reason why US made bullets are expensive in Canada, you should look to OTTAWA - not Grand Island ,Nebraska.

Last edited by jim62; 01/07/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
M
OK, you want to absolutely compair apples to apples. From Wholesale sports Canada, a 100 count box of Hornady 150gr interlocks is $35.99. A 50 count box of Hornady 150gr GMX is $40.99. lead is currently $1.20LB. Copper is currently $4.20LB (both numbers rounded). If both boxes where 100 count boxes that would more than account (5 times over) for the $5.00 discrepency of the 2 bullets, but the Interlock is 100 count, and the GMX 50 count. The interlock is more difficult to manufacture; where does the extra cost come from?

In Canada, I can get 1000 Berries (American company), copper "plated" 158gr bullets for a price fully comparable to Canadian made full lead 158gr bullets ($80.00 per 1000)...........crossing the border makes no difference.

I was actually attempting to stay away from just totally bashing only Hornady, but if you insist on re-directing me to prove an irrefutable point, you are fully entitled to keep your head right up there..........I was actually using Barnes as my example.

My origonal point was that all of the companies will charge as much as they possibly can, and increase the price whenever they can; wether the increase is warranted or not.
Mike

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First they thinned out the jacket on the Core-Lokt.

Then they started phasing out the Hot Cor.

Now they changed the Interlock.

Is nothing sacred?

Scott
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
OK, you want to absolutely compair apples to apples. From Wholesale sports Canada, a 100 count box of Hornady 150gr interlocks is $35.99. A 50 count box of Hornady 150gr GMX is $40.99. lead is currently $1.20LB. Copper is currently $4.20LB (both numbers rounded). If both boxes where 100 count boxes that would more than account (5 times over) for the $5.00 discrepency of the 2 bullets, but the Interlock is 100 count, and the GMX 50 count. The interlock is more difficult to manufacture; where does the extra cost come from?

In Canada, I can get 1000 Berries (American company), copper "plated" 158gr bullets for a price fully comparable to Canadian made full lead 158gr bullets ($80.00 per 1000)...........crossing the border makes no difference.

I was actually attempting to stay away from just totally bashing only Hornady, but if you insist on re-directing me to prove an irrefutable point, you are fully entitled to keep your head right up there..........I was actually using Barnes as my example.

My origonal point was that all of the companies will charge as much as they possibly can, and increase the price whenever they can; wether the increase is warranted or not.
Mike

How in the hell can you blame Hornady for what YOUR dealers charge for them in Canada?

I STAND BY my points because are valid. Your prices above prove it. You're paying $35 for 100 Interlocks that cost me $21 most places.

It's NOT Hornady's fault you live in the People's Republic of Canada!

As to you "not" bashing Hornday,that is some FUNNY stuff. You have have pretty much done that NON-STOP with your baseless "price fixing" accusations.

Also ,your continued insistence the the plain interlock is more "difficult " to make than a solid copper hollow pointed slug with a ballistic tip is pure bullschit. How the hell do you think the grooves get swaged into the sides of the GMX slugs? Devine intervention?

Last edited by jim62; 01/07/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
dude, if the interlock is causing problems USE ANOTHER BULLET,

If you encounter a discussion you don't like, USE ANOTHER WEBSITE!

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Is nothing sacred?

Don't forget the Speer Grand Slam change.It's no were near the same.

M
M
Originally Posted by jim62

Mike

How in the hell can you blame Hornady for what YOUR dealers charge for them in Canada?

I STAND BY my points because are valid. Your prices above prove it. You're paying $35 for 100 Interlocks that cost me $21 most places.

It's NOT Hornady's fault you live in the People's Republic of Canada!

As to you "not" bashing Hornday,that is some FUNNY stuff. You have have pretty much done that NON-STOP with your baseless "price fixing" accusations.

Also ,your continued insistence the the plain interlock is more "difficult " to make than a solid copper hollow pointed slug with a ballistic tip is pure bullschit. How the hell do you think the grooves get swaged into the sides of the GMX slugs? Devine intervention?

Those little "grooves" get on the GMX the same way that those little "interlocks" and expansion "grooves"........and "cannulars" get on the interlock. If your paying $21.00 for the interlock, your still paying about $25.00 for the GMX, so my apples to apples compairison is still unchanged.
Head up!
Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It astounds me the number of guys that think you need to buy $30/50 bullets to kill freakin' deer!

There's no reason in the World to not use a $0.15 or even $0.30 bullet on deer other than vanity.

Back on subject - I have to wonder if Hornady didn't screw up the Interlock to drive customers to those Ritchie Rich bullets.

There's no reason other than that that a guy should be forced to start all over testing different bullets on game. That process can take years.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you guys STILL talking about bullet failures that you recovered from DEAD animals??

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A man decided to give sky-diving a try. His main chute failed to open. When his reserve chute opened, it failed to fully deploy. This caused the lines to become somewhat fouled. The spin caused by all of this, plus the anxiety it brought on, caused the man to evacuate from orifices at opposite ends of his digestive tract. He did reach the ground in one piece. Upon remarking to those around him that things could have perhaps gone down in a more satisfactory manner, he was asked if he had reached the ground alive and well, as that is,after all, the whole point of parachuting. Chastened by this, he quietly went home.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Is nothing sacred?

Profits are sacred.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A man decided to give sky-diving a try. His main chute failed to open. When his reserve chute opened, it failed to fully deploy. This caused the lines to become somewhat fouled. The spin caused by all of this, plus the anxiety it brought on, caused the man to evacuate from orifices at opposite ends of his digestive tract. He did reach the ground in one piece. Upon remarking to those around him that things could have perhaps gone down in a more satisfactory manner, he was asked if he had reached the ground alive and well, as that is,after all, the whole point of parachuting. Chastened by this, he quietly went home.

With that logic, I could put a Rolls Royce emblem on my Chevy and call it a Silver Ghost because the car goes down the road. Not quite.

Consumers should complain when product quality suffers. I'm pretty sure the guy would rather his chute opened.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Once again, I failed to throw a smile in when I needed to. That is my point exactly.

Last edited by 5sdad; 01/07/11. Reason: left out my buddy, Ed

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Are you sure the grooves are swaged and not cut?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Are you sure the grooves are swaged and not cut?

J,

My point was that the added grooves are an added step over an above making a regular cup and core Interlock.

For that matter, so is swaging a precise hollow point in a mono metal slug for expansion..

Last edited by jim62; 01/08/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
iq62:

YOU PRODUCE NO PROOF WHATSOEVER that shows the grooves or the hollow point are done with an extra step.

Last edited by Aletheuo; 01/08/11.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
Jim62:

YOU PRODUCE NO PROOF WHATSOEVER that shows the grooves or the hollow point are done with an extra step.

A-hole-o,

At least the grooves I am talking about can be SEEN by anyone with a pair of eyes. The fact they actually EXIST is obvious. As well as the hollow point and ballistics tip added to the GMX slugs vs the plain interlocks.

Like I said to your ignorant countryman, are they placed their magically? Only a complete idiot like yourself would believe the grooves were not put on the bullets by an added manufacturing step of some kind.

The claims you make of "failures" of Hornady Interlocks on game, the "price fixing" and the other imaginary , cretinous bullshit you post here is what should be prooved.

Last edited by jim62; 01/08/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good lord, did you design any of these bullets? You seem to be taking the arguments rather personally

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.