-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your correction. I forgot to consider the need for eye relief.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It would be enlightening to hear from someone with a lot of DG experience-likely a guide- as to the serviceability of the red dot sights. The Aimpoint Comp M2s and newer are extremely robust- not sure that the reticle in standard scope is any tougher and they use lithium batteries that have light a 10,000 hour life.

Just saying...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw a guy the other day drop a very nice elephant with a brain shot and a holosight type gizmo on his double. Aside from looking totally out of place, it worked for him. As to PHs, I've never ever seen one with one. My DG experience is limited to two safaris. Personally I would have no problems using an illuminated reticle on a leopard or lion blind. In fact that is what I've installed on my cat rifle. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don Heath had/has? one on his double and wrote about it in African Hunter magazine.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I have an Aimpoint on a military quick release mount bolted onto my .458 which I use to follow up cats in low light or the dark.

Best money I ever spent on an accessory and it is tough as nails.

I would say yes but get the quick release mount so you can use your iron sights if need be.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I would only use a sight that works without power. That way you still can use it when the batteries die.

You also have to be careful that the illumination is not too bright when hunting it low light conditions.

Aimpoint batteries are good for 50,000 hours of continuous use. Certified by the US Army. Red dot is a rheostat, so no such thing as too bright.

I would not hesitate to use an Aimpoint site on DG. There are many knockoffs that do not count. Genuine Aimpoint! It is more reliable than the ammo in the chamber.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think for buffalo(black animals) the illuminated reticle is the best! I used swaro z6i in masailand, and it was wonderful. Like someone above stated, the worst that can happen is that it goes out-then you are "stuck" with the same un-illuminated scope you would have taken anyway.

Shoot some buff targets with illuminated and without, then decide. I already know your answer.

-GDOG

-George
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Aimpoint has a new Blaser mount for their Micro sight. It's a slick little set-up that I think is ideal for DG. I've always liked scopes with illuminated reticles for DG, but I have great vision so I don't think the lack of magnification is a hindrance for me. I have decided to take my Aimpoint Micro-equipped Blaser to Africa in March for a Cape buffalo hunt to give it a whirl. I have lots of time behind Aimpoints on ARs and those batteries last forever, so I'm not worried. I'll post a full report when I return.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Though not for DG - I did use an Aimpoint Hunter on a Blaser for plains game as well as the Micro on a Sako on a Boar hunt. Very, very fast target acquisition, and in my experience more than accurate out past 200m. Both eyes open non-magnified works well for me!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.