Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

For the fourth time in Les Miles' six seasons as coach, the Tigers won 11 games. The only other Southeastern Conference coaches to have accomplished that feat are Bear Bryant at Alabama and Kentucky at Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1173966

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

For the fourth time in Les Miles' six seasons as coach, the Tigers won 11 games. The only other Southeastern Conference coaches to have accomplished that feat are Bear Bryant at Alabama and Kentucky at Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee.

With accomplishments like that hopefully Michigan or someone else will pay him what you think he's worth and he'll pack his stuff up and get the heck out of Baton Rouge!!!!

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Out of respect and simple courtesy for your SEC hero coach, you could spell his name right,at least.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
Out of respect and simple courtesy for your SEC hero coach, you could spell his name right,at least.
He did. Freudian slip.
We need "Less" Miles.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Laffin'.....I think Miles' stock just soared man so you just may get your wish. I somewhat doubt it,though. Why would they get rid of him. Pretty or not, he owns some impressive numbers and, as you gents aptly point out, next year's crop looks very promising.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
Why would they get rid of him.
Because he's an idiot?
Besides that, no reason.

NRA Lifer

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Highly misleading claim and insulting to the great SEC coaches who didn't coach in 13-14 game seasons.

Since Miles lost 2 games in all 4 of the above referenced seasons, it would be far more accurate to see how many other SEC coaches had four or more 2 loss seasons. That list is going to be a bit more crowded.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.

No, that would be Mike Leach.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles isn't nearly as dumb or as weird as his media persona....that very public, very you-tubed horrible very bad clock incident was one of those things that cement an image forever.....even if it isn't really accurate.

You can coach a hundred games and not screw up visibly, but that one will always be remembered.

you can build a thousand bridges, but suck one cock and you're no longer a bridge builder... you're a cock-sucker...

as far as Les leaving for Michigan....he's on a roll here, has great young talent, and next year either JJ will play like he did last night, or the Matt-siah will be starting.

Peterson is probably gone, but those young guys in the secondary are playing very well.

If Miles left, who would you replace him with? with all the NFL vacancies sucking the cream off the top, where are you going to find someone better to move here? And if you fire a guy for losing two games some years, after winning an NC, that's going to make it hard to hire anybody else.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
All good points. With last night's resounding win coupled with the outstanding performances of the frosh class, I can't even imagine his leaving at LSU's request is even conceivable. If Miles had the stones, as I suspect he does, he should say pay me more if you want me to stay.

William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep...

If anything it will become a bidding war between "M" and LSU, with LSU (and Les) being the winner. Michigan Football is going to become like Michigan Basketball once they ran Fischer out. It's gonna be a looong road before the football program recovers. cry

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FC363

If you're saying that TX Tech had great talent while Leach was there you're sadly mistaken. Tech has always had very average talent at best, with a few superstars (Crabtree) thrown in, and a bunch of overachievers (Welker, Z Thomas). We've always recruited the leftovers after UT, A&M, OU, and every other big time school in the nation takes their pick of TX high school talent.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
TT is in for a rough two years though now,aren't they? They could lose many recruits over this one.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you're saying that TX Tech had great talent while Leach was there you're sadly mistaken. Tech has always had very average talent at best, with a few superstars (Crabtree) thrown in, and a bunch of overachievers (Welker, Z Thomas). We've always recruited the leftovers after UT, A&M, OU, and every other big time school in the nation takes their pick of TX high school talent.

Question: What did TT do before and after the 2 years with Harrell/Crabtree?

Answer: NOTHING

Yet while they were there, Mike Leach was the greatest thing since sliced bread, up for consideration for every head coaching vacancy in the nation. Now, not so much.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Should Miles leave LSU, Leach should have the perfect year-round Halloween attitude that would fit right in with VooDoo Land.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
1) Miles isn't nearly as dumb or as weird as his media persona....
2) that very public, very you-tubed horrible very bad clock incident was one of those things that cement an image forever.....even if it isn't really accurate.

You can coach a hundred games and not screw up visibly, but that one will always be remembered.

3) you can build a thousand bridges, but suck one cock and you're no longer a bridge builder... you're a cock-sucker...

as far as Les leaving for Michigan....he's on a roll here, has great young talent, and next year either JJ will play like he did last night, or the Matt-siah will be starting.

Peterson is probably gone, but those young guys in the secondary are playing very well.

4) If Miles left, who would you replace him with? with all the NFL vacancies sucking the cream off the top, where are you going to find someone better to move here? And if you fire a guy for losing two games some years, after winning an NC, that's going to make it hard to hire anybody else.

1) Well, that "should" be impossible shouldn't it?
2) If that was his only mistake (or one of few) I'd agree. Unfortunately it wasn't even close. Just good highlight film stuff.
3) To much to ask to hire a bridge builder without such abhorent proclivities? He's never built a bridge. It was already built. He's simply not torn it down (yet). Pot holes are deepening though.
4) I'm not scared of the unknown devil. And.... I know they won't fire him. I'm hoping for him to leave on his own. It would be best for all parties.

I don't hate the guy. That would almost be cruel considering his 'limitations'. I actually find him entertaining. I'd just rather him be entertaining somewhere else.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Question: What did TT do before and after the 2 years with Harrell/Crabtree?

Answer: NOTHING

Yet while they were there, Mike Leach was the greatest thing since sliced bread, up for consideration for every head coaching vacancy in the nation. Now, not so much.

If you pay attention to football, there's no coach that coaches up average talent to a championship level. Great players CAN, but not always do, make coaches look like geniuses. And, at the college level, recruiting talent is a big part of what makes coaches careers or breaks them. I defy you to name a coach that takes scrubs and make them a championship level team. It takes superstars. It's not a coincidence that the BCS Title game this year has the Heisman winner, and another Heisman finalist.

Leach? Like him or hate him, only a fool would deny what he did at Texas Tech...and you do have to take the type of program in to account. His shortcomings are not in his coaching ability, but his personality. TT hasn't won a championship at any level in probably 40 years. Only Steve Sloan had a better conference winning percentage, and only did it for 3 seasons, and in a far different conference back in the mid 70s. Leach has the best overall winning percentage of any coach at TT since Pete Cawthon from 1930-1940, and he started that long before Harrell and Crabtree arrived, they just helped get a program that otherwise has no chance of a championship to near that level. Leach, if anything, is an example of lesser talent performing at a higher than expected level, not the opposite.

This tact of failing to give coaches credit for accomplishments because they did it with great players, is just stupid. Moronic. Folks that do that are more than willing to give the coach all the blame for falling short or failing despite factors out of their control.

When Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or whoever takes over a program like Vanderbilt, Baylor, Northwestern, etc and wins a championship then you may convince me that there's coaches out there that are great coaches despite talent. They used to say about Bear Bryant "he can take his, and beat yours, and yours and beat his". However, because under the recruiting rules then he was able to hoard players, he never had to prove that. Bryant even admitted about one local player that played HS ball in my day, whose name escapes me now, who was known to not be the brightest bulb in the box...that Bear recruited him primarily so he wouldn't have to face him someday on playing for the opposition.

Great players can hide some deficiencies, but there's numers examples of teams loaded with talent that underperformed. Miami and FSU are recent examples of programs that have been loaded with talent for some time, and been very mediocre. You have to coach AND/OR manage great talent too...you can't just put it on the field and tell them to go make a play.

As for Miles...a good portion of the fan base will never accept him. He is a good coach. Great? Probably not, but good enough to win 10 games a season on avg in the SEC, and you can't suck and do that, even at a place like LSU, Alabama, or Florida. Dinardo, Shula, and Zook are prime examples. You can stumble in to a 10 win season at those programs, but you can't sustain it if you suck.

Les Miles, like ALL coaches has shortcomings. Unfortunately for Les, his is clock management, and it plays out for even the most ignorant fans, who don't otherwise know the difference between screen pass and a punt, to see and recognize on many Saturdays on national TV. So, he sucks. Coaching, the majority of it, and the stuff that even gets you to where clock management matters, is done Sunday - Friday, and out of the watchful eye of the cameras. What Miles has done with a QB like Jordan Jefferson, is really pretty amazing. With even a moderately trusworthy QB that could manage an offense, this LSU team probably would have been a NC contender. As it is, they fell short with a 11 win season, and lost only to the team playing for the BCS title, and a rival SECW team that also won 10 games, and played in a BCS bowl.

Last edited by .280Rem; 01/08/11.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by jwp475

With accomplishments like that hopefully Michigan or someone else will pay him what you think he's worth and he'll pack his stuff up and get the heck out of Baton Rouge!!!!

LOL, I hope y'all get exactly what you wish for. And then get another Dinardo or Hallman in there. Amazing how a program's fans can get spoiled so quickly.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe they can get Rich Rod! laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.