Home

For the fourth time in Les Miles' six seasons as coach, the Tigers won 11 games. The only other Southeastern Conference coaches to have accomplished that feat are Bear Bryant at Alabama and Kentucky at Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1173966

Originally Posted by jwp475

For the fourth time in Les Miles' six seasons as coach, the Tigers won 11 games. The only other Southeastern Conference coaches to have accomplished that feat are Bear Bryant at Alabama and Kentucky at Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee.

With accomplishments like that hopefully Michigan or someone else will pay him what you think he's worth and he'll pack his stuff up and get the heck out of Baton Rouge!!!!
Out of respect and simple courtesy for your SEC hero coach, you could spell his name right,at least.
Originally Posted by isaac
Out of respect and simple courtesy for your SEC hero coach, you could spell his name right,at least.
He did. Freudian slip.
We need "Less" Miles.
Laffin'.....I think Miles' stock just soared man so you just may get your wish. I somewhat doubt it,though. Why would they get rid of him. Pretty or not, he owns some impressive numbers and, as you gents aptly point out, next year's crop looks very promising.
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.
Why would they get rid of him.
Because he's an idiot?
Besides that, no reason.

Highly misleading claim and insulting to the great SEC coaches who didn't coach in 13-14 game seasons.

Since Miles lost 2 games in all 4 of the above referenced seasons, it would be far more accurate to see how many other SEC coaches had four or more 2 loss seasons. That list is going to be a bit more crowded.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great talent makes average coaches look like a genius. Miles is the poster child for this.

No, that would be Mike Leach.
Miles isn't nearly as dumb or as weird as his media persona....that very public, very you-tubed horrible very bad clock incident was one of those things that cement an image forever.....even if it isn't really accurate.

You can coach a hundred games and not screw up visibly, but that one will always be remembered.

you can build a thousand bridges, but suck one cock and you're no longer a bridge builder... you're a cock-sucker...

as far as Les leaving for Michigan....he's on a roll here, has great young talent, and next year either JJ will play like he did last night, or the Matt-siah will be starting.

Peterson is probably gone, but those young guys in the secondary are playing very well.

If Miles left, who would you replace him with? with all the NFL vacancies sucking the cream off the top, where are you going to find someone better to move here? And if you fire a guy for losing two games some years, after winning an NC, that's going to make it hard to hire anybody else.
All good points. With last night's resounding win coupled with the outstanding performances of the frosh class, I can't even imagine his leaving at LSU's request is even conceivable. If Miles had the stones, as I suspect he does, he should say pay me more if you want me to stay.
Yep...

If anything it will become a bidding war between "M" and LSU, with LSU (and Les) being the winner. Michigan Football is going to become like Michigan Basketball once they ran Fischer out. It's gonna be a looong road before the football program recovers. cry
Originally Posted by FC363

If you're saying that TX Tech had great talent while Leach was there you're sadly mistaken. Tech has always had very average talent at best, with a few superstars (Crabtree) thrown in, and a bunch of overachievers (Welker, Z Thomas). We've always recruited the leftovers after UT, A&M, OU, and every other big time school in the nation takes their pick of TX high school talent.
TT is in for a rough two years though now,aren't they? They could lose many recruits over this one.

If you're saying that TX Tech had great talent while Leach was there you're sadly mistaken. Tech has always had very average talent at best, with a few superstars (Crabtree) thrown in, and a bunch of overachievers (Welker, Z Thomas). We've always recruited the leftovers after UT, A&M, OU, and every other big time school in the nation takes their pick of TX high school talent.

Question: What did TT do before and after the 2 years with Harrell/Crabtree?

Answer: NOTHING

Yet while they were there, Mike Leach was the greatest thing since sliced bread, up for consideration for every head coaching vacancy in the nation. Now, not so much.
Should Miles leave LSU, Leach should have the perfect year-round Halloween attitude that would fit right in with VooDoo Land.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
1) Miles isn't nearly as dumb or as weird as his media persona....
2) that very public, very you-tubed horrible very bad clock incident was one of those things that cement an image forever.....even if it isn't really accurate.

You can coach a hundred games and not screw up visibly, but that one will always be remembered.

3) you can build a thousand bridges, but suck one cock and you're no longer a bridge builder... you're a cock-sucker...

as far as Les leaving for Michigan....he's on a roll here, has great young talent, and next year either JJ will play like he did last night, or the Matt-siah will be starting.

Peterson is probably gone, but those young guys in the secondary are playing very well.

4) If Miles left, who would you replace him with? with all the NFL vacancies sucking the cream off the top, where are you going to find someone better to move here? And if you fire a guy for losing two games some years, after winning an NC, that's going to make it hard to hire anybody else.

1) Well, that "should" be impossible shouldn't it?
2) If that was his only mistake (or one of few) I'd agree. Unfortunately it wasn't even close. Just good highlight film stuff.
3) To much to ask to hire a bridge builder without such abhorent proclivities? He's never built a bridge. It was already built. He's simply not torn it down (yet). Pot holes are deepening though.
4) I'm not scared of the unknown devil. And.... I know they won't fire him. I'm hoping for him to leave on his own. It would be best for all parties.

I don't hate the guy. That would almost be cruel considering his 'limitations'. I actually find him entertaining. I'd just rather him be entertaining somewhere else.

Question: What did TT do before and after the 2 years with Harrell/Crabtree?

Answer: NOTHING

Yet while they were there, Mike Leach was the greatest thing since sliced bread, up for consideration for every head coaching vacancy in the nation. Now, not so much.

If you pay attention to football, there's no coach that coaches up average talent to a championship level. Great players CAN, but not always do, make coaches look like geniuses. And, at the college level, recruiting talent is a big part of what makes coaches careers or breaks them. I defy you to name a coach that takes scrubs and make them a championship level team. It takes superstars. It's not a coincidence that the BCS Title game this year has the Heisman winner, and another Heisman finalist.

Leach? Like him or hate him, only a fool would deny what he did at Texas Tech...and you do have to take the type of program in to account. His shortcomings are not in his coaching ability, but his personality. TT hasn't won a championship at any level in probably 40 years. Only Steve Sloan had a better conference winning percentage, and only did it for 3 seasons, and in a far different conference back in the mid 70s. Leach has the best overall winning percentage of any coach at TT since Pete Cawthon from 1930-1940, and he started that long before Harrell and Crabtree arrived, they just helped get a program that otherwise has no chance of a championship to near that level. Leach, if anything, is an example of lesser talent performing at a higher than expected level, not the opposite.

This tact of failing to give coaches credit for accomplishments because they did it with great players, is just stupid. Moronic. Folks that do that are more than willing to give the coach all the blame for falling short or failing despite factors out of their control.

When Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or whoever takes over a program like Vanderbilt, Baylor, Northwestern, etc and wins a championship then you may convince me that there's coaches out there that are great coaches despite talent. They used to say about Bear Bryant "he can take his, and beat yours, and yours and beat his". However, because under the recruiting rules then he was able to hoard players, he never had to prove that. Bryant even admitted about one local player that played HS ball in my day, whose name escapes me now, who was known to not be the brightest bulb in the box...that Bear recruited him primarily so he wouldn't have to face him someday on playing for the opposition.

Great players can hide some deficiencies, but there's numers examples of teams loaded with talent that underperformed. Miami and FSU are recent examples of programs that have been loaded with talent for some time, and been very mediocre. You have to coach AND/OR manage great talent too...you can't just put it on the field and tell them to go make a play.

As for Miles...a good portion of the fan base will never accept him. He is a good coach. Great? Probably not, but good enough to win 10 games a season on avg in the SEC, and you can't suck and do that, even at a place like LSU, Alabama, or Florida. Dinardo, Shula, and Zook are prime examples. You can stumble in to a 10 win season at those programs, but you can't sustain it if you suck.

Les Miles, like ALL coaches has shortcomings. Unfortunately for Les, his is clock management, and it plays out for even the most ignorant fans, who don't otherwise know the difference between screen pass and a punt, to see and recognize on many Saturdays on national TV. So, he sucks. Coaching, the majority of it, and the stuff that even gets you to where clock management matters, is done Sunday - Friday, and out of the watchful eye of the cameras. What Miles has done with a QB like Jordan Jefferson, is really pretty amazing. With even a moderately trusworthy QB that could manage an offense, this LSU team probably would have been a NC contender. As it is, they fell short with a 11 win season, and lost only to the team playing for the BCS title, and a rival SECW team that also won 10 games, and played in a BCS bowl.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by jwp475

With accomplishments like that hopefully Michigan or someone else will pay him what you think he's worth and he'll pack his stuff up and get the heck out of Baton Rouge!!!!

LOL, I hope y'all get exactly what you wish for. And then get another Dinardo or Hallman in there. Amazing how a program's fans can get spoiled so quickly.
Maybe they can get Rich Rod! laugh
Maybe they can get Rich Rod! laugh

Who would be the choice of those "football savvy" folks that get a nut talking ignorant schit about coaches?
Not sure that anyone could fill their lofty expectations for more than a couple years.
Not sure that anyone could fill their lofty expectations for more than a couple years.

I'm certain of that. Even then, if the new guy won, a good percentage would claim: "he did it with Miles' players".
Y'all keep building a case against Leslie. Get him fired. Serves him right for not winning National Championships more frequently. But I'm telling you everybody in Alabama will be tickled to death. And I hear Tommy Bowden may be available if the price is right. grin.
Here's a scanned copy of Les Miles contract that was last updated and signed in 2009. Look at how little the actual university pays him - $300,000 with the rest coming from his TV/Radio deal and for other functions all related to and coming out of the pocket of the TAF (Tiger Athletic Foundation). He who pays the cost is the boss. Which also means that for all practical purposes the AD can't hire a new coach without TAF approval because the TAF and the University works out a separate contract so that the University can guarantee the money that the TAF will pay. With no TAF support, no money and no coach. I've said it before, you only have to upset a very select few people (at LSU it's around 4-6 members of the TAF) and your days are numbered. I'm guessing that it's this way at most Universities where the backer program carries the load money wise.

Les Miles Contract

If he leaves for Michigan as specifically called out in his contract (bottom of page 11 specifically states he shall not seek nor accept a job at University of Michigan) to get out of his contract he owes $1.25 million which would be a drop in the bucket.

The AD at LSU released today that he had not been contacted as of yet by Michigan for permission to speak with Miles. I wonder if someone got their shorts in a wad after the last episode of trying to get Miles.
Now that the Saints lost the playoff game....I guess they'll be some here kicking at Sean Peytons' ass as well!! All I can say to that is:

TAKE A HIKE!!
Tech is seldom in the top 20 in recruiting. If you think we don't take the leftovers (with a few exceptions as I already said), after UT, OU LSU, and every other big time school picks over TX high school talent you're kidding yourself. Leach never won a championship, ever, and never beat Texas. To his credit, he won lots of games with overall average talent at best. I'll give him credit for installing a system that not many folks had seen around here and winning with it. We've been full of 2-3 star recruits as long as I can remember. Very few of his players make it in the NFL, very few. You got one thing right, though. Leach is a POS as a human being, a terrible ambassador for your football program, and a drunk. I'm glad he's gone, and whatever unfortunate soul lands him will find out first hand he's not worth the trouble.

Isaac, your right, TTU in for a tough few years if these recruiting issues stand up.
.... Leach never won a championship, ever, and never beat Texas.

TT beat Texas while Leach was coach at least twice, they beat them when Kliff was the quarterback back about 2003. They also beat them on Crabtrees last second TD two years ago. I thought they beat them another time but I'm not positive. Those are just the two that stand out

You got one thing right, though. Leach is a POS as a human being, a terrible ambassador for your football program, and a drunk.

I know a lot of people that feel this way, his personality can rub people the wrong way. My sister was the sports anchor and then the news anchor for Fox 34 news in Lubbock from about 2000-2007 and I got to know Coach Leach and his staff pretty well. He always treated my sister, myself and my family with nothing but respect. I haven't talked with him since October 30, 2006 when he called to give my sisters and I condolonces on the sudden loss of our father. I will be a fan of whatever program hires him.

Drum

Really? What great talent did he have besides Crabtree? Back that statement up please. Don't just not respond like you missed this, please enlighten us

Drum
Let's see. Despite having an inconsistent quarterback at the beginning of the season, LSU lost only two games this year - by 7 points to Auburn, surely no disgrace there - and by 8 points to Arkansas.

By the end of the season, the inconsistent quarterback was looking pretty good and LSU won the Cotton Bowl handily.

How anybody can call for a new coach after a season like that is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Really? What great talent did he have besides Crabtree? Back that statement up please. Don't just not respond like you missed this, please enlighten us

Drum

I thought i was pretty clear about this, but apparently some need clarification, so here goes.

Mike Leach was HC at TTU for quite a while before they really had any success. News flash: he had about the same average talent as everyone else. It's only when a team gets real standout players that they separate themselves, such as when TTU had Harrell/Crabtree.

Before they showed up, TTU was just another team in the Big 12, AFTER, they were winning lots of games, putting up 50+ points per game, highly ranked, fighting for the Big 12 Championship, and on the Heisman ballot. At that time Leach was one of the hottest prospects for every high profile HC job that would be available.

After those players left, it was back to business as usual. 7 or 8 wins.

Now, is their anything that needs further explanation?
Report: Michigan and LSU coach Les Miles to meet soon

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

Will Les Miles finally coach his alma mater?

ESPN.com reported Saturday night that Michigan has expressed interest in talking to Miles, currently the coach at LSU, and a meeting is expected soon, the website reported, citing sources.

A source told the website that Miles would give LSU 24 hours notification before the interview. That had not yet occurred.

Miles, a former Michigan player and assistant coach, is thought to be the leading candidate for Michigan's head coaching job. Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon fired Rich Rodriguez, who was 15-22 in three seasons, last Wednesday and said he would act swiftly to conduct a national search.

Brandon declined an interview request with The News on Saturday night.

Miles led LSU to the 2007 national championship and is coming off a decisive victory over Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl on Friday night.

Earlier on Saturday, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva issued a statement regarding Miles.

"I have not been contacted by anyone from the University of Michigan about Les Miles," Alleva said in the release. "Les Miles is LSU's head coach and we are going to do everything we can to keep it that way. He has had great success here and we plan to keep enjoying that success under his leadership."

Former Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh, most recently the head coach at Stanford, became the San Francisco 49ers coach on Friday.

"I had some options at the college level and pro teams, and two that I'd like to highlight, Stanford and Michigan, both of them I consider my universities and they have great leaders at both schools and will have great coaches," Harbaugh said during his news conference. "I felt like it was what I wanted to do at this time, was coach in the National Football League."

San Diego State coach Brady Hoke, formerly an assistant at Michigan, is thought to be a candidate.

Hoke's agent, Trace Armstrong, told the San Diego Union-Tribune Friday that he couldn't discuss Hoke's potential candidacy to become the new Michigan coach.

"I really can't say," Armstrong told the paper. "I wish I could tell you more, but that's really where it stands."

Armstrong said Michigan has kept the search process quiet.

"They've done a really good job of keeping it quiet," Armstrong told the Union-Tribune. "Dave Brandon is running the search, and I think he's keeping his own counsel on that. I wish I could help you more, but I can't."

Armstrong also told the paper that Hoke has been "very straightforward" with San Diego State about what's happening regarding potential job opportunities. He did say Hoke is not a candidate for the vacancy at Pittsburgh.

[email protected]

Det News Article
Michigan is going to have to pony up the money. I realise Miles is a Michigan man but Michigan is in the same boat LSU was in when it hired Saban. They had to pony up the money because at the time they weren't the big national draw, I don't think Michigan is either right now.

I did read an article out of Michigan over the weekend where one of the big wigs with the Michigan booster program said he thought just about any coach in the US would drop their job and come running to Michigan even for less/the same money......ok then.

Drum

I thought i was pretty clear about this, but apparently some need clarification, so here goes.

Mike Leach was HC at TTU for quite a while before they really had any success. News flash: he had about the same average talent as everyone else. It's only when a team gets real standout players that they separate themselves, such as when TTU had Harrell/Crabtree.

Before they showed up, TTU was just another team in the Big 12, AFTER, they were winning lots of games, putting up 50+ points per game, highly ranked, fighting for the Big 12 Championship, and on the Heisman ballot. At that time Leach was one of the hottest prospects for every high profile HC job that would be available.

10 consecutive winning seasons

8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins

4 seasons with at least 9 wins

1 season with 11 wins

9 consecutive bowl appearances

5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)

4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25

19�11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M

53�11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team

2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year

2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year

More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach

Now, here's how the talent stacks up with the rest of the country

Let's just look at NFL draft picks since 1999 and who really had the talent to work with
Miami-65
Tennessee-59
Ohio State-70
Georgia-56
Florida State-59
USC-56
Michigan-48
Florida-55
Notre Dame-48
Virginia Tech-48
LSU-46
Nebraska-45
Wisconsin-43
Oklahoma-36

Texas Tech had 22 players drafted and you really want to tell me that Mike Leach is the poster boy for doing less with more talent?

You should at least attempt to research things before you post

Drummond

It looks like he isn't very aware of the college football landscape beyond his own campus.
huntsonora, he's not your coach anymore, you can stop pumping now.
FC363, you need to brush up on the facts. Tech never played for a Big 12 Championship, ever. We won our share of games under Leach for sure, but no championships. Tech lead the nation in offense and passing for many years under Leach, not just Harrell. Remember Kingsbury, BJ Simons and others? Probably not. Average talent with a few studs mixed in, but very, very few. I'll bet you can't name 10 players in the past 10 years that have done anything in the NFL. OU had 4 first rounders last year. Leach had an offensive system, and the system worked great with average talent.

Drum, I should have said we seldom beat UT......would've been more accurate.
It looks like he isn't very aware of the college football landscape beyond his own campus.

Looks like you obviously had no clue what you were talking about.

Looks like you obviously had no clue what you were talking about.

I was talking about the meatchicken booster, DA
FC363, you need to brush up on the facts. Tech never played for a Big 12 Championship, ever. We won our share of games under Leach for sure, but no championships. Tech lead the nation in offense and passing for many years under Leach, not just Harrell. Remember Kingsbury, BJ Simons and others? Probably not. Average talent with a few studs mixed in, but very, very few. I'll bet you can't name 10 players in the past 10 years that have done anything in the NFL. OU had 4 first rounders last year. Leach had an offensive system, and the system worked great with average talent.

I dont need to brush up on anything to figure out that Leach's success on the field rested with his players.

I dont need to brush up on anything to figure out that Leach's success on the field rested with his players.

Really dude? confused

Your ignorance is almost comical

You could almost understand and give a guy from Indiana a pass on being ignorant on Tech football, but geeeeesh........hard headed stupidity is another matter.
I suspect that the vast majority of those so mystified and taking pot shots at those LSU fans that want Les gone are:
1) NOT alum
2) Have never donated one red cent to the Atheletic Foundation.
3) Watched between 0-2 LSU games this year.
4) Would soil themselves if Les was announced as the new head coach of their school.

I also notice no one mentioned a prime example of his coaching brillance in the Cotton Bowl. The challenge on the touchdown when it was 1st down and less than one FOOT to go for a TD in the first half and he challenged the spot/call (that of course stood). whistle
To answer some of you who just can't understand what "all the fuss is about". I want a coach that coaches UP and brings the best out of the kids and gets them to play to their potential. It's not just about the record. It's about how well your team plays and are you making the most out of what you have. Les, inheirted a talented bunch and recruiting juggernaut and his big accomplishment is he's been able to keep the wheels form coming off (despite the white knuckled ride). The man needs to GO! Yes they've had an impressive record since he's been there. I assure you, a great coach, even a pretty good one, would have done even better. I promise you Nick Satan (evil incarnate) would have had at least one other BCS championship and at least 2 additional BCS bowl games. Anyone reading this thread would have had a hard time not doing as 'well' as Les.
Did anyone really think his denial about not hearing from Michigan was honest? That is one lie I can forgive him for.
As someone said, he who pays the bills is boss. I trust the AD's words are simply marketing or class on his part and they allow Les to move on.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6003504
If he doesn't go he'll get a raise and LSU will go thru the same stuff next time Michigan fires their coach - in about 3 years from now.

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The waiting game continues for LSU football fans. Many are anticipating Michigan will make its pitch to alum Les Miles and university officials expect something might happen in the next 24-48 hours.

For the second time in three days, a Lear twin-engine jet with Michigan's maize and blue colors landed at Baton Rouge Metro Airport. It landed early Saturday afternoon. It's not clear whether there were athletic department officials aboard or just representatives of Miles' alma mater, maybe a former teammate or friend.

The same plane landed in Baton Rouge Friday morning and took off about two hours later. Sources said Miles spent the day with family and has told his players he is staying at LSU, but does have a pre-scheduled trip back to Dallas coming up Tuesday for the American Football Coaches Association, where he is one of the headline speakers.

Athletic Director Joe Alleva said there was nothing new on LSU's end.

[Linked Image]

Drum

Name a coach that doesn't need great talent to get to the next level and we can talk about how what your trying to peddle has some merit.

Let me state this again. Leach, highest winning percentage of any coach at TT since 1940! He did more than any other has in modern times. The fact things got better when he had better players is only a negative to someone who wants anything they can think of to be a negative. You'd have more credibility if you just said you didn't like the guy personally rather than try to claim he's not a good coach because he had good players when he won more games than normal. Seriously...do you know how ignorant that sounds?
There's the man of the hour. I expect to hear from you tomorrow night unless you have a action planned evening already underway.
I suspect that the vast majority of those so mystified and taking pot shots at those LSU fans that want Les gone are:
1) NOT alum
4) Would soil themselves if Les was announced as the new head coach of their school.

I also notice no one mentioned a prime example of his coaching brillance in the Cotton Bowl. The challenge on the touchdown when it was 1st down and less than one FOOT to go for a TD in the first half and he challenged the spot/call (that of course stood). whistle
To answer some of you who just can't understand what "all the fuss is about". I want a coach that coaches UP and brings the best out of the kids and gets them to play to their potential. It's not just about the record. It's about how well your team plays and are you making the most out of what you have. Les, inheirted a talented bunch and recruiting juggernaut and his big accomplishment is he's been able to keep the wheels form coming off (despite the white knuckled ride). The man needs to GO! Yes they've had an impressive record since he's been there. I assure you, a great coach, even a pretty good one, would have done even better. I promise you Nick Satan (evil incarnate) would have had at least one other BCS championship and at least 2 additional BCS bowl games. Anyone reading this thread would have had a hard time not doing as 'well' as Les.
Did anyone really think his denial about not hearing from Michigan was honest? That is one lie I can forgive him for.
As someone said, he who pays the bills is boss. I trust the AD's words are simply marketing or class on his part and they allow Les to move on.

Saying "It's not about the record" is like saying "It's not about the money."

Miles' shortcomings as a coach are basically clock management, and some coaching calls on game day, many of which work out well for him despite being against the norm. The rest of what you cite isn't an issue, but something folks have to make up to feel better about hating Miles. Doesn't coach players up? I'm certain you're referring to the QB situation. Does Miles coach QBs? Does every QB that gets good coaching up make a good SEC QB? That, along with the supposition that someone else would have done a better job? Crystal ball?

Look, just say you don't like him, he's not a fit. Don't make stuff up.
There's the man of the hour. I expect to hear from you tomorrow night unless you have a action planned evening already underway.

At this point, just hoping we have power. Ice storm hitting now. I'd say in any event, unless it's catastrophic, I'll be away from the computer, and if it's catastrophic, I may be stuck at home and unable to post.
Don't tell me you're gonna miss your ballgame,maybe. Get on the road and go north,my man!
No, I won't miss it...don't know what lengths I'll have to go to to see it, but I won't miss it.
I went and bought batteries for my radio to make sure I can at least hear the game.

War Eagle!
Originally Posted by .280Rem
1) NOT alum

Miles' shortcomings as a coach are basically clock management, and some coaching calls on game day, many of which work out well for him despite being against the norm. The rest of what you cite isn't an issue, but something folks have to make up to feel better about hating Miles. Doesn't coach players up? I'm certain you're referring to the QB situation. Does Miles coach QBs? Does every QB that gets good coaching up make a good SEC QB? That, along with the supposition that someone else would have done a better job? Crystal ball?

You go to the trouble of actually typing quotes around a MISquote, attribute it to me, and then tell ME not to 'make stuff up'? laugh
I love internet forums. The great bastion of America's higher education system.
I put the word 'JUST' in there for a reason. Apparently I wasted the keystrokes.
I tell you what.... "I don't like him, he's not a fit and.... he's an idiot!". How's that?
Good luck to your Tiger/Eagle/Plainsmen tonight. I hope they stomp the snot out of the Ducks (even though I sort of like them, well as much as you can like a PAC10 team). If they don't, it won't be because of your coach.
Some of You LSU people are either smoking crack, or just plain crazy. Why would you get rid of a winning coach like Les Miles with a proven track record to bring in an unknown. Yes, I watch a lot of LSU football, and he's made some questionable calls, but he's a proven winner. You folks need to be careful what you wish for. By the way, who do you think can do better?
Originally Posted by jstall
Some of You LSU people are either smoking crack, or just plain crazy. Why would you get rid of a winning coach like Les Miles with a proven track record to bring in an unknown. Yes, I watch a lot of LSU football, and he's made some questionable calls, but he's a proven winner. You folks need to be careful what you wish for. By the way, who do you think can do better?

There ya go with all the name calling and where do you hail from........Mississippi....right.... smile

It doesn't matter why they want him gone, its their coach and their opinion.......anybody want to take a ole used to be able to win coach by the name of Mack Brown?? I believe we need a change as well!!! As for as who I would replace him with......maybe a assistant by the name of Applewhite.
I take it you don't like folks from Mississippi, but I guess everythings bigger in Texas, including your ego. I hope you get Mack Brown or Applewhite, next year we can hear all the bitching about how they "only" won 9 games.
I've never taken an illegal substance in my entire life so I guess that just leaves crazy. You are late on the diagnosis.
You've hit on the exact issue. Miles does NOT have a 'proven track record'. His record at OK St. was 28-21 and 16-16. Did he 'build a program' and LSU snatch him up? His last year he was 7-5 and 4-4. There's a 'track record' for you.
He walked into a program with LSU that was screaming down the expressway waving the fresh NC championship banner with a locker room loaded for bear.
In 2008, the year after winning the NC on some simply incomprehensible bizarre last week circumstances, and the first year he was without Saban recruits LSU was 8-5 and 3-5 in the conference. Since the last year of Saban recruits they have not even won their division, much less the conference (or obviously played for a NC). AND... he's had no shortage of talent. Can he recruit like Saban? No, but he's had a lot more to work with than many schools and done comparatively less.
I don't know what he'll do at/for Michigan (I'm trying to use that whole 'think positive/visualize' thing) but I promise you, had he come to the SEC into a struggling program, he'd have been gone after 2-3 years.
Les Miles did not make LSU. LSU made Les Miles.

That is the truth. He does Les with more than any other coach in the SEC and he doesn't even have to work at recruiting - he selects down there in Louisiana plus he crosses over into Mississippi and Texas with ease thanks to the school's tradition.

Don't get me wrong, he is a decent guy but he should have won three MNCs by now with the talent he has had and given the games he should have won that would have got him there.

Furthermore, but not for the absolutely failure on behalf of Derrick Dooley this season, to coach-up his UT team, Miles would have had a completely different season ... not to mention a few other games over the past couple of seasons.

If Miles goes to Michigan, (Hale to the conquering heros ... they are my second favorite team), then he will be exposed for exactly what JGRaider and I are alluding to - someone who is fortunate enough to have great talent fall into his lap but too dumb to know how to make the most of what has been given him.
Originally Posted by Sig220
[quote=jstall].......anybody want to take a ole used to be able to win coach by the name of Mack Brown?? I believe we need a change as well!!! As for as who I would replace him with......maybe a assistant by the name of Applewhite.
At least Mack HAS in fact clearly proven what he can do AND at mulitiple schools. If there ever was an anamoly on a coach's record, this year would appear to be it for him.
Like I said, be careful what you wish for. Good Luck!
If anyone is the poster child for doing less with more, I think it's Mack Brown.

He is one of the top 3 recruiting HC's in FBS, but has only turned 1 of the multitude of top 5 recruiting classes he's had, into a NC.
I won't be extremely upset to see Miles go but I'm not looking forward to a coaching search this year. Some of the names being thrown around for the replacement coach make me want to puke....
Originally Posted by Foxbat
If anyone is the poster child for doing less with more, I think it's Mack Brown.

He is one of the top 3 recruiting HC's in FBS, but has only turned 1 of the multitude of top 5 recruiting classes he's had, into a NC.
Trade ya'. grin
Mack went to Tulane and the first year they were 1-10. 2 short years they were at 500 and NC snatched him up.
NC was 1-10 his first and 2nd years there. Next year they broke 500 and never looked back and his last year they were 10-1 and UT snatched him up.
For the twelve straight years prior to this year, he's been 1st or 2nd each year in the division and for half (6 of those 12) of those years they were either division, conf, or national champions. All my 'big 12' homer buddies would say that's incredible. Well.... untill they have one year like this year. Although I don't know I suspect he's finished the year more often than not in the top 10 as well.
Again, I'm not a big Mack fan (or a Big Mac fan) but .... wanna trade? grin
I agree Foxbat......He's a primo recruiter, and a very mediocre coach IMO. You give Leach that type of talent at TTU and he would've kicked everyone's azz.

I'm amazed at the "aliens" who know so much about TX Tech football.....amazing.
I take it you don't like folks from Mississippi, but I guess everythings bigger in Texas, including your ego. I hope you get Mack Brown or Applewhite, next year we can hear all the bitching about how they "only" won 9 games.

I wasn't talking about the people of MS.....you have insecurity issues, I guess.... LOL! I was commenting about your (MS) football programs being where they are and telling Louisiana folks how they should feel about their football coach.

I actually have a fond memory of MS women as well, even though I married up to a TX girl..... smile
1) NOT alum

You go to the trouble of actually typing quotes around a MISquote, attribute it to me, and then tell ME not to 'make stuff up'? laugh
I put the word 'JUST' in there for a reason. Apparently I wasted the keystrokes.
I tell you what.... "I don't like him, he's not a fit and.... he's an idiot!". How's that?
Good luck to your Tiger/Eagle/Plainsmen tonight. I hope they stomp the snot out of the Ducks (even though I sort of like them, well as much as you can like a PAC10 team). If they don't, it won't be because of your coach.

You're correct, I misquoted you, and you attribute that to the education system, impugning my education. Nice. I can sleep well at night with my education, even though I occasionally make a mistake in failing to properly quote someone.

As I said, you have more credibility when you simply admit you just don't like the guy than you do trying to give someone else credit for his winning the NC. Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC.

Coaching matters. It matters a lot. The main problem is the vast majority of fans put major emphasis on what they see on game day, and little one the part that counts the most. Few games are won or lost on game day. I love hearing fans spout "he got out coached" as if they're in a head to head competition against each other that has an objective standard of which is better. When McNeese State or ULM came to Tiger Stadium, did Miles "out coach" their coaches, or did he just have better players? Winning and losing isn't the sole criteria for being "out coached" but most fans think it is, and get a nut claiming that this coach or that coach was "out coached".

BTW, I understand not wanting Miles because of some of the stuff he does, and I understand exactly why Miles isn't widely accepted. But I can't fathom wanting to run a coach off that wins like he does even with all that other stuff, and averaging 10 wins a year in the SEC...that's winning. When you have to make stuff up to further your cause or agenda, then that should be a clue. BTW, when will he get full credit for winning with HIS PLAYERS? A couple of NCs and LSU folks suddenly think they can bitch and moan about 11 win seasons. Y'all need to remember back to not so long ago to the likes of Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo. Glad you admitted you just don't like the guy. Hope you find a coach you can like...bet he won't be liked unless he wins though...in the end it's not JUST about the record, until the record sux...then it won't matter how likeable the guy is, or how good his "play calling" is, how even keeled and steady he is with the media, or how polished he is speaking at alumi events...if he's 8-4 every year, he won't be "liked".

Because they think they're entitled to a coach that wins, and does it in just the way that makes them feel warm and fuzzy watching it. It's not JUST about the record...unless the coach can't maintain a winning record, then you'll hear a different story.

Fact of the matter is, there's not a coach alive that can live up to the standards of "greatness" that some, like some in this thread, set as the criteria for greatness.

Fact of the matter is, there's not a coach alive that can live up to the standards of "greatness" that some, like some in this thread, set as the criteria for greatness.

That is true. A lot of people get caught up in the green grass on the other side, or forget from whence their program came.

When Butch Davis was rumored to be NFL bound in his last year at UM, a lot of fans sounded like the LSU fans, pointing, coincidentally, to the same clock management issues that Butch had displayed similar to Miles. I just shook my head because I knew, even if he wasn't the best game day coach, his recruiting ability was off the charts and we were unlikely to replace him with an equivalent.

Every HC replacement is a crap shoot, sometimes the devil you know, beats the devil you don't.
You could almost understand and give a guy from Indiana a pass on being ignorant on Tech football, but geeeeesh........hard headed stupidity is another matter.

FC363, where'd ya go?
1) NOT alum

You're correct, I misquoted you, and you attribute that to the education system, impugning my education. Nice. I can sleep well at night with my education, even though I occasionally make a mistake in failing to properly quote someone.

As I said, you have more credibility when you simply admit you just don't like the guy than you do trying to give someone else credit for his winning the NC. Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC.

Coaching matters. It matters a lot. The main problem is the vast majority of fans put major emphasis on what they see on game day, and little one the part that counts the most. Few games are won or lost on game day. I love hearing fans spout "he got out coached" as if they're in a head to head competition against each other that has an objective standard of which is better. When McNeese State or ULM came to Tiger Stadium, did Miles "out coach" their coaches, or did he just have better players? Winning and losing isn't the sole criteria for being "out coached" but most fans think it is, and get a nut claiming that this coach or that coach was "out coached".

BTW, I understand not wanting Miles because of some of the stuff he does, and I understand exactly why Miles isn't widely accepted. But I can't fathom wanting to run a coach off that wins like he does even with all that other stuff, and averaging 10 wins a year in the SEC...that's winning. When you have to make stuff up to further your cause or agenda, then that should be a clue. BTW, when will he get full credit for winning with HIS PLAYERS? A couple of NCs and LSU folks suddenly think they can bitch and moan about 11 win seasons. Y'all need to remember back to not so long ago to the likes of Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo. Glad you admitted you just don't like the guy. Hope you find a coach you can like...bet he won't be liked unless he wins though...in the end it's not JUST about the record, until the record sux...then it won't matter how likeable the guy is, or how good his "play calling" is, how even keeled and steady he is with the media, or how polished he is speaking at alumi events...if he's 8-4 every year, he won't be "liked".
You get the points for most circular points in one post! laugh
I can't address them all (though my 3 contentions about you and other Miles man crushies stand) so I'll address one point you made that goes to the crux of the issue and do my best to quote you properly... You said... "Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC."
I will say... DING DING DING! EXACTLY!!! And then I'll ask.... did you hear any LSU fans calling for his departure after that season? Hmmm...... now how on earth could that possibly be? I mean fresh off our 'unrealistic expecations' and all. Gee... could it be that the man knew how to coach and wasn't an idiot? Nah, can't be that? Could it be that it's not JUST about the record? I mean we should have tarred and feathered him according to some sage LSU historians here (despite their non-affiliation). Nah, you've already cleared me up on that one. So what possible reason could it be that Saban, with a 9-3 record was though infinitely better of by LSU faithful than a 2 loss Miles? Hmmm......
Enjoy your game tonight .280. You are supposed to be in a good mood.

By the way someone brought up the ULM and McNeese games. PERFECT examples of people touting something they obviously did not watch or look beyond the scoreboard.

LA-Monroe LSU
1st Downs 10 17
Total Yards 190 251
Passing 67 95
Rushing 123 156
Penalties 5-45 3-15
3rd Down Conversions 1-12 2-12
4th Down Conversions 1-4 2-2
Turnovers 5 0
Possession 32:12 27:48

McNeese St / LSU
1st Downs 11 19
Total Yards 219 282
Passing 118 103
Rushing 101 179
Penalties 6-45 5-25
3rd Down Conversions 8-17 3-13
4th Down Conversions 1-2 2-2
Turnovers 2 2
Possession 30:50 29:10

Now given the chasm between the programs, can you honestly say THOSE should be the stats? Oh yeah, it was a 'W' all right, who cares how ugly they win (my eternal thanks the ULM for their FIVE turnovers) and kudos to BOTH of them for them holding LSU to under 300 yards of TOTAL offense and a miserable performance on third down conversions. "Mighty LSU". I beat they have fear in their hearts for the next meeting. Or is that anticipation? Hard to tell.

The title of this thread is "For those that think Les(s) Miles is NOT a great coach". Apparently it is attracting just the opposite type folks. laugh
If you think I have some kind of man crush on Miles, then you're completely missing my point. Foxbat got it. Nobody can live up to the expectations of the fans...the ones who have never done that job, many of who never played the game, and yet hold these men to standards of performance that they themselves couldn't live up to in any professional manner on their own jobs. I made not one circular point. But when a fan hates a coach, there's no reasoning with them. The Houston Nutt haters are the worst, but all coach haters will find ANY reason to say the coach they hate sux, even if it's unreasonable. One of the stupidest arguments they make is using any one game to point out how their coach sux...others nearly as unreasonable are failing to give any credit for the good but assigning all the blame for the bad...claiming they can't coach players up referencing players that don't live up to billing, but also claiming the great players they had made them look better than they were. I've said it about other coaches...when you want them fired, you can manufacture ANY reason to justify it.
If you think I have some kind of man crush on Miles, then you're completely missing my point. Foxbat got it. Nobody can live up to the expectations of the fans...the ones who have never done that job, many of who never played the game, and yet hold these men to standards of performance that they themselves couldn't live up to in any professional manner on their own jobs. I made not one circular point. But when a fan hates a coach, there's no reasoning with them. The Houston Nutt haters are the worst, but all coach haters will find ANY reason to say the coach they hate sux, even if it's unreasonable. One of the stupidest arguments they make is using any one game to point out how their coach sux...others nearly as unreasonable are failing to give any credit for the good but assigning all the blame for the bad...claiming they can't coach players up referencing players that don't live up to billing, but also claiming the great players they had made them look better than they were. I've said it about other coaches...when you want them fired, you can manufacture ANY reason to justify it.

Well, if it were left up to you, no coach would be fired. smile

Your opinion/point is no more relevant then any other posters opinion/point or even mine smile ......the good thing is we have a right to them and a forum where we can air them.

If the LSU fans want a new HC, more power to them, just because you disagree doesn't make their concerns not valid.

In the "post Cam " Auburn era, they'll be after Chizik's hide too. You heard it here first!
For those wanting Miles' head (specifically GeauxLSU) please enlighten the Campfire on your "coaches wish list" and who YOU want to be the next head FB coach in Baton Rouge. Be sure to provide enough objective data to support your "perfect head coach hire" and how this will happen & benefit LSU.

Keep in mind that National Signing day is in 23 days (2-2-11) . LSU will certainly lose key commitments and potential recruits should they fire Miles.

All I can say is Be Careful What You Wish For !! ... Since Miles in on the hotseat, let the man hang himself or leave on his own free will.

Miles will meet with Meeechigan AD Brandon tonight and/or tomorrow in Dallas where Miles agent is.

We should know something in 24-48 hrs.

I personally have no problems with Miles as HC providing he continue to win 10 and 11 games each season and have LSU in the hunt for an SEC and NC title each year. Once he loses 5 and 6 games a year and LSU can't hold their own in the SEC , then he can be sent on his way
Patterson at TCU would be my first choice.
That would make sense except for one small item... I think Saban was a great coach (the best in Div 1 as a matter of fact) even in his worst year, so there goes the 'can't be satisfied' mantra.
I retract my mancrush insinuation. So.... you wanna' trade coaches?
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake
For those wanting Miles' head (specifically GeauxLSU) please enlighten the Campfire on your "coaches wish list" and who YOU want to be the next head FB coach in Baton Rouge. Be sure to provide enough objective data to support your "perfect head coach hire" and how this will happen & benefit LSU.

Keep in mind that National Signing day is in 23 days (2-2-11) . LSU will certainly lose key commitments and potential recruits should they fire Miles.

All I can say is Be Careful What You Wish For !! ... Since Miles in on the hotseat, let the man hang himself or leave on his own free will.

Miles will meet with Meeechigan AD Brandon tonight and/or tomorrow in Dallas where Miles agent is.

We should know something in 24-48 hrs.

I personally have no problems with Miles as HC providing he continue to win 10 and 11 games each season and have LSU in the hunt for an SEC and NC title each year. Once he loses 5 and 6 games a year and LSU can't hold their own in the SEC , then he can be sent on his way
Blake,
I have not named a replacement intentionally and I'd rather him not get fired at this juncture. It would be bad for the school and even though I dislike the guy, bad for him (obviously). This is a rare and probably fleeting opportunity for the man to go do his "dream job" and go coach his alma mater and turn them into "one damn fine football team".
To sort of answer your question, my criteria for a new HC would start with this: How about not someone whose resume is one HC assignment in a sub par school in a sub par conference (ok I said that just to poke some folks laugh ) where we could only muster a .500 conference record. How's that for being picky?
That would make sense except for one small item... I think Saban was a great coach (the best in Div 1 as a matter of fact) even in his worst year, so there goes the 'can't be satisfied' mantra.

GeauxLSU , does your wife know you still get "morning wood" for Nick Saban ? wink

If NS is the greatest CFB coach in D1 , how did he get outcoached by the grass eating Mad Hatter ?
(in 4 head to head games, the NS vs. LM series is tied at 2 games apeice)

Domino's corporate jet with UM AD Brandon in BR to meet with Miles and then head back to Dallas

[Linked Image]

GeauxLSU , does your wife know you still get "morning wood" for Nick Saban ? wink

If NS is the greatest CFB coach in D1 , how did he get outcoached by the grass eating Mad Hatter ?
(in 4 head to head games, the NS vs. LM series is tied at 2 games apeice)

Domino's corporate jet with UM AD Brandon in BR to meet with Miles and then head back to Dallas
I actually despise Saban (the person) but I will never deny he's a phenomenal coach. When he was named HC at Alabama I told their fans he'd have a national championship inside of 5 years (I assumed 3 or 4 but didn't want to sound like a total lunatic). They looked at me like I had two heads. Anyway... wink

Like I said, I hope Les shines like a new penny and stuns Brandon with his brilliance. Uhhh..... how about he just shines like a new penny. grin

edit - realize I didn't answer your question. On that game Les appeared to be not so removed form his meds (even with the 4th down tries) but the Bama turnovers didn't hurt either and to be honest I think there was a little bit of overconfidence on Bama's part at that point in the year. THAT is atypical of a Saban coached team for sure. Hard to comment on the talent level of the players (without 1,000 differing opinion) but I'll still contend if the teams switched coaches for that game, it wouldn't have been the nail biter it was. YOWV.
FYI - The man is not a blithering idiot EVERY play of EVERY game. If he was, he would have a few holdouts. wink
ESPN broke into the national championship game to report (with no source) that if offered Miles will accept the job. With the team plane making two trips over the weekend and the AD for Michigan coming to town today I'm guessing that's pretty much he's been offered the job.

I think Miles is a good coach but long term LSU can't give Miles a huge bonus/raise and go thru weeks of this crap every time Michigan fires a coach every 3 years. I mean it was enough of an issue at the beginning they had to write a special clause in his contract concerning Michigan.

LSU might suck for a number of years but long term you have to get a coach who wants to be at LSU long term. I don't think Saban had anything against LSU but got a dream job offer in the NFL.
Originally Posted by NathanL

LSU might suck for a number of years but long term you have to get a coach who wants to be at LSU long term. I don't think Saban had anything against LSU but got a dream job offer in the NFL.
They won't suck. They'll be fine with the stable they have. Saban didn't have anything against LSU because he's incapable of caring. He has one concern and he'll advance it at any opportunity.
Now who will the next coach be? Someone who can tell time, won't throw his players under the bus, can articulate a thought and has a little less vegetation in his diet? Probably asking too much. The SEC has some impressive coaches.
Saban didn't have anything against LSU because he's incapable of caring.

Good grief, that sounds like something you'd hear in a beauty shop. He didn't get paid to care, he got paid to win. Somebody needs to start a "Whine About Nick Saban" thread so all these tender emotions will have a common outlet.
Originally Posted by shootem

Good grief, that sounds like something you'd hear in a beauty shop. He didn't get paid to care, he got paid to win. Somebody needs to start a "Whine About Nick Saban" thread so all these tender emotions will have a common outlet.

I'm an LSU fan and supporter and I fall into that category as well. He's not an LSU man, he's an LSU employee. They are paid to coach nothing more and nothing less. Nobody is going to have loyalty to a job you can be fired from at the drop of a hat.

Good grief, that sounds like something you'd hear in a beauty shop. He didn't get paid to care, he got paid to win.
I think we are in vehement agreement. I'll have to take your word for beauty shop chat though.

I'm an LSU fan and supporter and I fall into that category as well. He's not an LSU man, he's an LSU employee. They are paid to coach nothing more and nothing less. Nobody is going to have loyalty to a job you can be fired from at the drop of a hat.
My point was Les will care about the program at UM. Saban didn't acre about the program at LSU or Miami nor does he care about the program at UA. The man doesn't care about his family either (read quotes from his wife and his own admissions). He cares about ONE thing. Himself as manifested with his obsession with coaching. That's what makes him a great coach and a pretty sorry individual. Mark Richt would be the exact opposite of Saban.
Saban didn't acre about the program at LSU or Miami nor does he care about the program at UA. The man doesn't care about his family either (read quotes from his wife and his own admissions). He cares about ONE thing. Himself as manifested with his obsession with coaching. That's what makes him a great coach and a pretty sorry individual.

Man, more of the same. Could you possibly link me to some of those Saban quotes where he admits not caring about his family? Maybe post them here:
OFFICIAL Whine About Nick Saban Thread
ESPN broke into the national championship game to report (with no source) that if offered Miles will accept the job. With the team plane making two trips over the weekend and the AD for Michigan coming to town today I'm guessing that's pretty much he's been offered the job.

I think Miles is a good coach but long term LSU can't give Miles a huge bonus/raise and go thru weeks of this crap every time Michigan fires a coach every 3 years. I mean it was enough of an issue at the beginning they had to write a special clause in his contract concerning Michigan.

Is there any confirmation on that? I saw the blurb at the beginning of the game, but haven't seen anything else.
USA Today just put this up:
By Tony Gutierrez, AP
LSU head coach Les Miles, seen here watching his Tigers face Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 7, has met with Michigan about their coaching vacancy and with LSU officials about possibly returning there.

By Glenn Guilbeau, Gannett
It is an 11th hour replay of what happened the night before the Southeastern Conference championship game of 2007.

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva and other school officials and Board of Supervisors members were meeting with LSU football coach Les Miles in the late hours Monday night to try to keep him as their football coach after Miles met with Michigan officials earlier in the day.

"LSU officials are talking with Coach Miles," LSU associate athletic director Herb Vincent said Monday night after 10 p.m. "They're trying to keep him."

LSU confirmed earlier Monday that Miles � LSU's coach of six seasons with a 62-17 record (.784 winning percentage), a national championship and 23-13 record against the top 25 � had spoken with Michigan officials in Baton Rouge. Miles said Monday morning at a press conference for cornerback Patrick Peterson's NFL Draft announcement that he would talk to Michigan officials.

CAMPUS RIVALRY: Miles confirms meeting with Michigan

When Miles said at a press conference before the SEC title game in 2007 that he would talk to Michigan officials in a few days about its opening at that time, LSU school officials and Board of Supervisors sprung into action and quickly completed week-long contract negotiations with Miles' agent George Bass that night and Miles agreed in principle to a new contract.

"It's similar to that," Vincent said.

Miles is scheduled to leave for Dallas this morning to speak at the American Football Coaches Association convention and could speak to Michigan officials again there. Bass is based out of Dallas.

"We continue to work with Coach Miles, and we remain committed to keeping him as the head coach of the LSU football program well into the future," Alleva said Monday night.

LSU sports information director confirmed that Miles had spoken with Michigan officials some time after the Peterson press conference.

"I don't have any details of the meeting, Only that one took place," Bonnette said.

"I'm told that we will speak," Miles said Monday morning while with Peterson. "That time and place has not been identified. It's hard for me to speculate to the substance of the meeting."

After the 11th hour contract talks in 2007, Miles later won the national championship and signed his new contract that pays him $3.8 million a year a few weeks later, and Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez.

Rodriguez was fired last week. Miles, an Elyria, Ohio, native, played offensive guard for Michigan coach Bo Schembechler from 1972-75 and was a graduate assistant coach under him in 1980 and '81. Miles returned to Michigan and coached under Schembechler from 1987-89 and stayed on the staff of new coach Gary Moeller from 1990-94. Miles met his wife Kathy while at Michigan when she was as assistant women's basketball coach at Michigan.

"I'm extremely happy here (at LSU)," Miles said Monday. "There's a real comfort with my family in Baton Rouge, and I think it's best left that way. I don't know that there is more to say. To this point in time, I have not talked to anyone from Michigan, nor has any of my representation done anything but have very distant conversation with representatives of the school."

Alleva followed that with a statement.

"I can certainly understand Coach Miles' desire to accommodate his alma mater by speaking with them during their coaching search," he said. "We remain committed to working toward keeping Les Miles as the head of the LSU football program � a program that wins at a high level, graduates its student athletes and represents the university well in the community under his leadership."

Alleva sang a different tune before the 2010 season as Miles was coming off two underachieving seasons of 8-5 and 9-4 in 2008 and '09 after entering those seasons ranked in the top 10.

"We still won nine games, but it was how we won," Alleva said the week before the '10 opener. "There were games we could've lost easily. And when you're 112 in offense in the nation, that's not very good. I'd like to see us minimize the amount of mental mistakes we make in a game. We couldn't run the ball, and I'd like us to be less predictable."

Alleva did not roll over Miles' contract after both the '08 and '09 seasons. Miles makes $3.8 million at LSU and has four years left on his current contract.

Meanwhile, junior college transfer quarterback Zach Mettenberger has completed his enrollment procedure at LSU and will stay at the school even if Miles does leave for Michigan, his father Bernie Mettenberger said Monday morning.

"LSU received his transcript on Friday, and that was the last part of the process," the elder Mettenberger said. "Everything else checked out. He'll be moving to Baton Rouge later this week."

The 6-foot-5 Mettenberger, a former Georgia signee out of Watkinsville, Ga., is the No. 1 junior college quarterback prospect in the nation out of Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kan., where he threw for 2,678 yards and 32 touchdowns last season.

Mettenberger will be a sophomore on the football team. He plans to begin classes at LSU on Jan. 18. By then, it should be known if Miles is staying at LSU for a seventh season or returning to Michigan, where he played in the mid-1970s and was an assistant coach in the early 1980s and again from 1987-94. Miles' name has surfaced as a strong candidate for the Michigan job since Jim Harbaugh turned the job down last week and became coach of the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL.

"We sent Coach Miles a text, but we hadn't heard back," Bernie Mettenberger said. "We told h
my opinion about LSU should Miles head North to Meeechigan

I think all Tiger fans can agree 2011 is the projected year that LSU will contend for the NC (2003, 2007, 2011 - see the pattern).

The schedule fares well for LSU if they get the job done on the field , remain healthy , and can find a QB that will step up and manage the game like Matt Mauck & Matt Flynn did. LSU has 17 returning starters (actually 16 since Peterson declared for the NFL today) and will be loaded.

So if Miles leaves, the new HC will will be under serious pressure to WIN the NC in 2011. Anything short of the Crystal Ball will be considered a failure by most rabid LSU fans.

The bar has been set so high in Baton Rouge that winning the SECW isn't enough. Imagine next year if the new HS goes 10-2 and losses to Saban or Mullen at MSU ? Fans will call for this dude's head !!!

Future LSU FB coaches will have no margin for error

ps - I hope Joe Alleva (LSU AD) has a serious backup plan and can deliver a Homerun on the next LSU HC. Based on what ESPN's Joe Shad has reported , I have a feeling the Tigers will be looking for a new coach.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Is there any confirmation on that? I saw the blurb at the beginning of the game, but haven't seen anything else.

No confirmation.

The board of the TAF met Monday morning and had a closed door meeting and I'm guessing they discussed wether they were going to go all in on a counter offer. I know one board member and he's not talking. That board member has in the past said that he doesn't want this to be an ongoing issue of every 3 years when Michigan fires their coach that LSU has to jump thru hoops to keep their coach.

The TV station in BR had a series of articles thru the day. Thru all weekend Miles specifically said he wasn't leaving. After today's meeting with the Michigan AD he said he had always been happy in his job at LSU...I always try to read between the lines.

I already got a chain email saying to hell with Dominos Pizza in Baton Rouge since they loaned the plane to the AD from Michigan. Apparently the official plane was in use. Over the weekend the offical plane (posted a link and pic earlier in the thread) made two separate trips to BR.

I don't think you'll know till you see Michigan hire another coach or Miles is at a Michigan press conference. Hell he might not even know. I can him meeting with the AD of Michigan as a courtesy since he in an alum but you would think the board of the TAF would have a hint of that if it was true. I don't think those in a position to make/break the contracts appreciate the hanging in the wind every time. That's my opinion based on talking to a few of those in the TAF. But who knows tomorrow Miles could get a 20% raise for the next 15 years.
my opinion about LSU should Miles head North to Meeechigan

I think all Tiger fans can agree 2011 is the projected year that LSU will contend for the NC (2003, 2007, 2011 - see the pattern).

The schedule fares well for LSU if they get the job done on the field , remain healthy , and can find a QB that will step up and manage the game like Matt Mauck & Matt Flynn did. LSU has 17 returning starters (actually 16 since Peterson declared for the NFL today) and will be loaded.

So if Miles leaves, the new HC will will be under serious pressure to WIN the NC in 2011. Anything short of the Crystal Ball will be considered a failure by most rabid LSU fans.

The bar has been set so high in Baton Rouge that winning the SECW isn't enough. Imagine next year if the new HS goes 10-2 and losses to Saban or Mullen at MSU ? Fans will call for this dude's head !!!

Future LSU FB coaches will have no margin for error

ps - I hope Joe Alleva (LSU AD) has a serious backup plan and can deliver a Homerun on the next LSU HC. Based on what ESPN's Joe Shad has reported , I have a feeling the Tigers will be looking for a new coach.

I don't share your prediction of an impossible task. THIS fan has no expectation that a brand new coach would take the team to the NC next year. My goal every year (and not even saying I'd expect this from a year one coach) is they win the division to make it to the conf championship game. That is a successful season. IF... they win the conf championship then the rest is out of their hands and gravy (granted, gravy served in a bowl worth $21m so a LOT of gravy but still gravy. smile )
GeauxLSU, I've heard the same thing about Saban. He's supposedly much like Jimmy Johnson who told his family to take a hike, that football was his life. Pretty said if true.
GeauxLSU, I've heard the same thing about Saban. He's supposedly much like Jimmy Johnson who told his family to take a hike, that football was his life. Pretty said if true.
It is, he apparently doesn't hide it. I'll never forget a TV interview I saw with him and his wife (and if memory serves one of his daughters?). In any case they were sitting on a sofa and she was talking about how he is basically absent. He was sitting right there. She said when he is physically there he's totally checked out working. 24/7/365. Coaching, recruiting, scheming, non stop all year. They was a gap between them on the sofa and the whole thing was totally emotionless. It was very weird. Nick said nothing to refute it and the look on his face was almost like he was running through defensive schemes in his head. He apparently could have cared less.
Contrast that with an article I couldn't believe about Miles this year. His wife was talking about how on FRIDAY NIGHTS BEFORE GAME DAY/NIGHT, it is 'family night' where Les is at home, having dinner with his wife and kids. ZERO football is discussed. They have dinner, he catches up on what has happened during the week with his kids, then watch a movie on TV. I remember reading that (it was in the midst of some of his early mis-cues this season) thinking... "What in the world are TAF members going to say when they read this!" A coach in the (less debately) most competitive conference in football in the hunt for a NC, the night before games and he's on "mini-vacation". Miles had some quote in the article about 'perspective' and how nothing was more important to him than his family. It is the man's redeeming quality IMHO.
Those two men will look back one day and decide if what they did was the 'best' use of their time. From what I can tell, they will both still think they were right.
© 24hourcampfire