Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I won't be extremely upset to see Miles go but I'm not looking forward to a coaching search this year. Some of the names being thrown around for the replacement coach make me want to puke....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Foxbat
If anyone is the poster child for doing less with more, I think it's Mack Brown.

He is one of the top 3 recruiting HC's in FBS, but has only turned 1 of the multitude of top 5 recruiting classes he's had, into a NC.
Trade ya'. grin
Mack went to Tulane and the first year they were 1-10. 2 short years they were at 500 and NC snatched him up.
NC was 1-10 his first and 2nd years there. Next year they broke 500 and never looked back and his last year they were 10-1 and UT snatched him up.
For the twelve straight years prior to this year, he's been 1st or 2nd each year in the division and for half (6 of those 12) of those years they were either division, conf, or national champions. All my 'big 12' homer buddies would say that's incredible. Well.... untill they have one year like this year. Although I don't know I suspect he's finished the year more often than not in the top 10 as well.
Again, I'm not a big Mack fan (or a Big Mac fan) but .... wanna trade? grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree Foxbat......He's a primo recruiter, and a very mediocre coach IMO. You give Leach that type of talent at TTU and he would've kicked everyone's azz.

I'm amazed at the "aliens" who know so much about TX Tech football.....amazing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jstall
I take it you don't like folks from Mississippi, but I guess everythings bigger in Texas, including your ego. I hope you get Mack Brown or Applewhite, next year we can hear all the bitching about how they "only" won 9 games.

I wasn't talking about the people of MS.....you have insecurity issues, I guess.... LOL! I was commenting about your (MS) football programs being where they are and telling Louisiana folks how they should feel about their football coach.

I actually have a fond memory of MS women as well, even though I married up to a TX girl..... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by .280Rem
I suspect that the vast majority of those so mystified and taking pot shots at those LSU fans that want Les gone are:
1) NOT alum
2) Have never donated one red cent to the Atheletic Foundation.
3) Watched between 0-2 LSU games this year.
4) Would soil themselves if Les was announced as the new head coach of their school.

I also notice no one mentioned a prime example of his coaching brillance in the Cotton Bowl. The challenge on the touchdown when it was 1st down and less than one FOOT to go for a TD in the first half and he challenged the spot/call (that of course stood). whistle
To answer some of you who just can't understand what "all the fuss is about". I want a coach that coaches UP and brings the best out of the kids and gets them to play to their potential. It's not just about the record. It's about how well your team plays and are you making the most out of what you have. Les, inheirted a talented bunch and recruiting juggernaut and his big accomplishment is he's been able to keep the wheels form coming off (despite the white knuckled ride). The man needs to GO! Yes they've had an impressive record since he's been there. I assure you, a great coach, even a pretty good one, would have done even better. I promise you Nick Satan (evil incarnate) would have had at least one other BCS championship and at least 2 additional BCS bowl games. Anyone reading this thread would have had a hard time not doing as 'well' as Les.
Did anyone really think his denial about not hearing from Michigan was honest? That is one lie I can forgive him for.
As someone said, he who pays the bills is boss. I trust the AD's words are simply marketing or class on his part and they allow Les to move on.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6003504

Saying "It's not about the record" is like saying "It's not about the money."

Miles' shortcomings as a coach are basically clock management, and some coaching calls on game day, many of which work out well for him despite being against the norm. The rest of what you cite isn't an issue, but something folks have to make up to feel better about hating Miles. Doesn't coach players up? I'm certain you're referring to the QB situation. Does Miles coach QBs? Does every QB that gets good coaching up make a good SEC QB? That, along with the supposition that someone else would have done a better job? Crystal ball?

Look, just say you don't like him, he's not a fit. Don't make stuff up.
You go to the trouble of actually typing quotes around a MISquote, attribute it to me, and then tell ME not to 'make stuff up'? laugh
I love internet forums. The great bastion of America's higher education system.
I put the word 'JUST' in there for a reason. Apparently I wasted the keystrokes.
I tell you what.... "I don't like him, he's not a fit and.... he's an idiot!". How's that?
Good luck to your Tiger/Eagle/Plainsmen tonight. I hope they stomp the snot out of the Ducks (even though I sort of like them, well as much as you can like a PAC10 team). If they don't, it won't be because of your coach.

You're correct, I misquoted you, and you attribute that to the education system, impugning my education. Nice. I can sleep well at night with my education, even though I occasionally make a mistake in failing to properly quote someone.

As I said, you have more credibility when you simply admit you just don't like the guy than you do trying to give someone else credit for his winning the NC. Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC.

Coaching matters. It matters a lot. The main problem is the vast majority of fans put major emphasis on what they see on game day, and little one the part that counts the most. Few games are won or lost on game day. I love hearing fans spout "he got out coached" as if they're in a head to head competition against each other that has an objective standard of which is better. When McNeese State or ULM came to Tiger Stadium, did Miles "out coach" their coaches, or did he just have better players? Winning and losing isn't the sole criteria for being "out coached" but most fans think it is, and get a nut claiming that this coach or that coach was "out coached".

BTW, I understand not wanting Miles because of some of the stuff he does, and I understand exactly why Miles isn't widely accepted. But I can't fathom wanting to run a coach off that wins like he does even with all that other stuff, and averaging 10 wins a year in the SEC...that's winning. When you have to make stuff up to further your cause or agenda, then that should be a clue. BTW, when will he get full credit for winning with HIS PLAYERS? A couple of NCs and LSU folks suddenly think they can bitch and moan about 11 win seasons. Y'all need to remember back to not so long ago to the likes of Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo. Glad you admitted you just don't like the guy. Hope you find a coach you can like...bet he won't be liked unless he wins though...in the end it's not JUST about the record, until the record sux...then it won't matter how likeable the guy is, or how good his "play calling" is, how even keeled and steady he is with the media, or how polished he is speaking at alumi events...if he's 8-4 every year, he won't be "liked".

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jstall
Some of You LSU people are either smoking crack, or just plain crazy. Why would you get rid of a winning coach like Les Miles with a proven track record to bring in an unknown. Yes, I watch a lot of LSU football, and he's made some questionable calls, but he's a proven winner. You folks need to be careful what you wish for. By the way, who do you think can do better?

Because they think they're entitled to a coach that wins, and does it in just the way that makes them feel warm and fuzzy watching it. It's not JUST about the record...unless the coach can't maintain a winning record, then you'll hear a different story.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone is the poster child for doing less with more, I think it's Mack Brown.

He is one of the top 3 recruiting HC's in FBS, but has only turned 1 of the multitude of top 5 recruiting classes he's had, into a NC.

Fact of the matter is, there's not a coach alive that can live up to the standards of "greatness" that some, like some in this thread, set as the criteria for greatness.

War Damn Eagle!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Fact of the matter is, there's not a coach alive that can live up to the standards of "greatness" that some, like some in this thread, set as the criteria for greatness.

That is true. A lot of people get caught up in the green grass on the other side, or forget from whence their program came.

When Butch Davis was rumored to be NFL bound in his last year at UM, a lot of fans sounded like the LSU fans, pointing, coincidentally, to the same clock management issues that Butch had displayed similar to Miles. I just shook my head because I knew, even if he wasn't the best game day coach, his recruiting ability was off the charts and we were unlikely to replace him with an equivalent.

Every HC replacement is a crap shoot, sometimes the devil you know, beats the devil you don't.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You could almost understand and give a guy from Indiana a pass on being ignorant on Tech football, but geeeeesh........hard headed stupidity is another matter.

FC363, where'd ya go?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect that the vast majority of those so mystified and taking pot shots at those LSU fans that want Les gone are:
1) NOT alum
2) Have never donated one red cent to the Atheletic Foundation.
3) Watched between 0-2 LSU games this year.
4) Would soil themselves if Les was announced as the new head coach of their school.

I also notice no one mentioned a prime example of his coaching brillance in the Cotton Bowl. The challenge on the touchdown when it was 1st down and less than one FOOT to go for a TD in the first half and he challenged the spot/call (that of course stood). whistle
To answer some of you who just can't understand what "all the fuss is about". I want a coach that coaches UP and brings the best out of the kids and gets them to play to their potential. It's not just about the record. It's about how well your team plays and are you making the most out of what you have. Les, inheirted a talented bunch and recruiting juggernaut and his big accomplishment is he's been able to keep the wheels form coming off (despite the white knuckled ride). The man needs to GO! Yes they've had an impressive record since he's been there. I assure you, a great coach, even a pretty good one, would have done even better. I promise you Nick Satan (evil incarnate) would have had at least one other BCS championship and at least 2 additional BCS bowl games. Anyone reading this thread would have had a hard time not doing as 'well' as Les.
Did anyone really think his denial about not hearing from Michigan was honest? That is one lie I can forgive him for.
As someone said, he who pays the bills is boss. I trust the AD's words are simply marketing or class on his part and they allow Les to move on.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6003504

Saying "It's not about the record" is like saying "It's not about the money."

Miles' shortcomings as a coach are basically clock management, and some coaching calls on game day, many of which work out well for him despite being against the norm. The rest of what you cite isn't an issue, but something folks have to make up to feel better about hating Miles. Doesn't coach players up? I'm certain you're referring to the QB situation. Does Miles coach QBs? Does every QB that gets good coaching up make a good SEC QB? That, along with the supposition that someone else would have done a better job? Crystal ball?

Look, just say you don't like him, he's not a fit. Don't make stuff up.
You go to the trouble of actually typing quotes around a MISquote, attribute it to me, and then tell ME not to 'make stuff up'? laugh
I love internet forums. The great bastion of America's higher education system.
I put the word 'JUST' in there for a reason. Apparently I wasted the keystrokes.
I tell you what.... "I don't like him, he's not a fit and.... he's an idiot!". How's that?
Good luck to your Tiger/Eagle/Plainsmen tonight. I hope they stomp the snot out of the Ducks (even though I sort of like them, well as much as you can like a PAC10 team). If they don't, it won't be because of your coach.

You're correct, I misquoted you, and you attribute that to the education system, impugning my education. Nice. I can sleep well at night with my education, even though I occasionally make a mistake in failing to properly quote someone.

As I said, you have more credibility when you simply admit you just don't like the guy than you do trying to give someone else credit for his winning the NC. Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC.

Coaching matters. It matters a lot. The main problem is the vast majority of fans put major emphasis on what they see on game day, and little one the part that counts the most. Few games are won or lost on game day. I love hearing fans spout "he got out coached" as if they're in a head to head competition against each other that has an objective standard of which is better. When McNeese State or ULM came to Tiger Stadium, did Miles "out coach" their coaches, or did he just have better players? Winning and losing isn't the sole criteria for being "out coached" but most fans think it is, and get a nut claiming that this coach or that coach was "out coached".

BTW, I understand not wanting Miles because of some of the stuff he does, and I understand exactly why Miles isn't widely accepted. But I can't fathom wanting to run a coach off that wins like he does even with all that other stuff, and averaging 10 wins a year in the SEC...that's winning. When you have to make stuff up to further your cause or agenda, then that should be a clue. BTW, when will he get full credit for winning with HIS PLAYERS? A couple of NCs and LSU folks suddenly think they can bitch and moan about 11 win seasons. Y'all need to remember back to not so long ago to the likes of Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo. Glad you admitted you just don't like the guy. Hope you find a coach you can like...bet he won't be liked unless he wins though...in the end it's not JUST about the record, until the record sux...then it won't matter how likeable the guy is, or how good his "play calling" is, how even keeled and steady he is with the media, or how polished he is speaking at alumi events...if he's 8-4 every year, he won't be "liked".
You get the points for most circular points in one post! laugh
I can't address them all (though my 3 contentions about you and other Miles man crushies stand) so I'll address one point you made that goes to the crux of the issue and do my best to quote you properly... You said... "Remember Saban went 9-3 with "his players" in 2004 following the NC."
I will say... DING DING DING! EXACTLY!!! And then I'll ask.... did you hear any LSU fans calling for his departure after that season? Hmmm...... now how on earth could that possibly be? I mean fresh off our 'unrealistic expecations' and all. Gee... could it be that the man knew how to coach and wasn't an idiot? Nah, can't be that? Could it be that it's not JUST about the record? I mean we should have tarred and feathered him according to some sage LSU historians here (despite their non-affiliation). Nah, you've already cleared me up on that one. So what possible reason could it be that Saban, with a 9-3 record was though infinitely better of by LSU faithful than a 2 loss Miles? Hmmm......
Enjoy your game tonight .280. You are supposed to be in a good mood.

By the way someone brought up the ULM and McNeese games. PERFECT examples of people touting something they obviously did not watch or look beyond the scoreboard.

LA-Monroe LSU
1st Downs 10 17
Total Yards 190 251
Passing 67 95
Rushing 123 156
Penalties 5-45 3-15
3rd Down Conversions 1-12 2-12
4th Down Conversions 1-4 2-2
Turnovers 5 0
Possession 32:12 27:48

McNeese St / LSU
1st Downs 11 19
Total Yards 219 282
Passing 118 103
Rushing 101 179
Penalties 6-45 5-25
3rd Down Conversions 8-17 3-13
4th Down Conversions 1-2 2-2
Turnovers 2 2
Possession 30:50 29:10

Now given the chasm between the programs, can you honestly say THOSE should be the stats? Oh yeah, it was a 'W' all right, who cares how ugly they win (my eternal thanks the ULM for their FIVE turnovers) and kudos to BOTH of them for them holding LSU to under 300 yards of TOTAL offense and a miserable performance on third down conversions. "Mighty LSU". I beat they have fear in their hearts for the next meeting. Or is that anticipation? Hard to tell.

The title of this thread is "For those that think Les(s) Miles is NOT a great coach". Apparently it is attracting just the opposite type folks. laugh

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you think I have some kind of man crush on Miles, then you're completely missing my point. Foxbat got it. Nobody can live up to the expectations of the fans...the ones who have never done that job, many of who never played the game, and yet hold these men to standards of performance that they themselves couldn't live up to in any professional manner on their own jobs. I made not one circular point. But when a fan hates a coach, there's no reasoning with them. The Houston Nutt haters are the worst, but all coach haters will find ANY reason to say the coach they hate sux, even if it's unreasonable. One of the stupidest arguments they make is using any one game to point out how their coach sux...others nearly as unreasonable are failing to give any credit for the good but assigning all the blame for the bad...claiming they can't coach players up referencing players that don't live up to billing, but also claiming the great players they had made them look better than they were. I've said it about other coaches...when you want them fired, you can manufacture ANY reason to justify it.

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you think I have some kind of man crush on Miles, then you're completely missing my point. Foxbat got it. Nobody can live up to the expectations of the fans...the ones who have never done that job, many of who never played the game, and yet hold these men to standards of performance that they themselves couldn't live up to in any professional manner on their own jobs. I made not one circular point. But when a fan hates a coach, there's no reasoning with them. The Houston Nutt haters are the worst, but all coach haters will find ANY reason to say the coach they hate sux, even if it's unreasonable. One of the stupidest arguments they make is using any one game to point out how their coach sux...others nearly as unreasonable are failing to give any credit for the good but assigning all the blame for the bad...claiming they can't coach players up referencing players that don't live up to billing, but also claiming the great players they had made them look better than they were. I've said it about other coaches...when you want them fired, you can manufacture ANY reason to justify it.

Well, if it were left up to you, no coach would be fired. smile

Your opinion/point is no more relevant then any other posters opinion/point or even mine smile ......the good thing is we have a right to them and a forum where we can air them.

If the LSU fans want a new HC, more power to them, just because you disagree doesn't make their concerns not valid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In the "post Cam " Auburn era, they'll be after Chizik's hide too. You heard it here first!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For those wanting Miles' head (specifically GeauxLSU) please enlighten the Campfire on your "coaches wish list" and who YOU want to be the next head FB coach in Baton Rouge. Be sure to provide enough objective data to support your "perfect head coach hire" and how this will happen & benefit LSU.

Keep in mind that National Signing day is in 23 days (2-2-11) . LSU will certainly lose key commitments and potential recruits should they fire Miles.

All I can say is Be Careful What You Wish For !! ... Since Miles in on the hotseat, let the man hang himself or leave on his own free will.

Miles will meet with Meeechigan AD Brandon tonight and/or tomorrow in Dallas where Miles agent is.

We should know something in 24-48 hrs.

I personally have no problems with Miles as HC providing he continue to win 10 and 11 games each season and have LSU in the hunt for an SEC and NC title each year. Once he loses 5 and 6 games a year and LSU can't hold their own in the SEC , then he can be sent on his way

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Patterson at TCU would be my first choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would make sense except for one small item... I think Saban was a great coach (the best in Div 1 as a matter of fact) even in his worst year, so there goes the 'can't be satisfied' mantra.
I retract my mancrush insinuation. So.... you wanna' trade coaches?

NRA Lifer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake
For those wanting Miles' head (specifically GeauxLSU) please enlighten the Campfire on your "coaches wish list" and who YOU want to be the next head FB coach in Baton Rouge. Be sure to provide enough objective data to support your "perfect head coach hire" and how this will happen & benefit LSU.

Keep in mind that National Signing day is in 23 days (2-2-11) . LSU will certainly lose key commitments and potential recruits should they fire Miles.

All I can say is Be Careful What You Wish For !! ... Since Miles in on the hotseat, let the man hang himself or leave on his own free will.

Miles will meet with Meeechigan AD Brandon tonight and/or tomorrow in Dallas where Miles agent is.

We should know something in 24-48 hrs.

I personally have no problems with Miles as HC providing he continue to win 10 and 11 games each season and have LSU in the hunt for an SEC and NC title each year. Once he loses 5 and 6 games a year and LSU can't hold their own in the SEC , then he can be sent on his way
Blake,
I have not named a replacement intentionally and I'd rather him not get fired at this juncture. It would be bad for the school and even though I dislike the guy, bad for him (obviously). This is a rare and probably fleeting opportunity for the man to go do his "dream job" and go coach his alma mater and turn them into "one damn fine football team".
To sort of answer your question, my criteria for a new HC would start with this: How about not someone whose resume is one HC assignment in a sub par school in a sub par conference (ok I said that just to poke some folks laugh ) where we could only muster a .500 conference record. How's that for being picky?

NRA Lifer

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That would make sense except for one small item... I think Saban was a great coach (the best in Div 1 as a matter of fact) even in his worst year, so there goes the 'can't be satisfied' mantra.

GeauxLSU , does your wife know you still get "morning wood" for Nick Saban ? wink

If NS is the greatest CFB coach in D1 , how did he get outcoached by the grass eating Mad Hatter ?
(in 4 head to head games, the NS vs. LM series is tied at 2 games apeice)

Domino's corporate jet with UM AD Brandon in BR to meet with Miles and then head back to Dallas

[Linked Image]

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake

GeauxLSU , does your wife know you still get "morning wood" for Nick Saban ? wink

If NS is the greatest CFB coach in D1 , how did he get outcoached by the grass eating Mad Hatter ?
(in 4 head to head games, the NS vs. LM series is tied at 2 games apeice)

Domino's corporate jet with UM AD Brandon in BR to meet with Miles and then head back to Dallas
I actually despise Saban (the person) but I will never deny he's a phenomenal coach. When he was named HC at Alabama I told their fans he'd have a national championship inside of 5 years (I assumed 3 or 4 but didn't want to sound like a total lunatic). They looked at me like I had two heads. Anyway... wink

Like I said, I hope Les shines like a new penny and stuns Brandon with his brilliance. Uhhh..... how about he just shines like a new penny. grin

edit - realize I didn't answer your question. On that game Les appeared to be not so removed form his meds (even with the 4th down tries) but the Bama turnovers didn't hurt either and to be honest I think there was a little bit of overconfidence on Bama's part at that point in the year. THAT is atypical of a Saban coached team for sure. Hard to comment on the talent level of the players (without 1,000 differing opinion) but I'll still contend if the teams switched coaches for that game, it wouldn't have been the nail biter it was. YOWV.
FYI - The man is not a blithering idiot EVERY play of EVERY game. If he was, he would have a few holdouts. wink

Last edited by GeauxLSU; 01/10/11. Reason: A.D.D.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ESPN broke into the national championship game to report (with no source) that if offered Miles will accept the job. With the team plane making two trips over the weekend and the AD for Michigan coming to town today I'm guessing that's pretty much he's been offered the job.

I think Miles is a good coach but long term LSU can't give Miles a huge bonus/raise and go thru weeks of this crap every time Michigan fires a coach every 3 years. I mean it was enough of an issue at the beginning they had to write a special clause in his contract concerning Michigan.

LSU might suck for a number of years but long term you have to get a coach who wants to be at LSU long term. I don't think Saban had anything against LSU but got a dream job offer in the NFL.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (7mm_Loco, AB2506, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 14 invisible), 996 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,886
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.