-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes less is more, and I'd gladly take any of the above over a Tikka, and have........

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Accurate guns are what they are - even if you don't want to respect them.

Interesting watching a guy try to talk down accurate rifles though, just wonder if they've owned one, or just feel bad by see'n another guy out shoot them with one - BWAHHHH..

i.e. - Stick may have Tikka envy

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/25/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tikka's have without a doubt earned a reputation for accuracy at an affordable price. The actions are extremely slick, feed flawlessly, and have good triggers that are easily adjustable. They're light and balance well IMO....

I can see where many would feel there's a lot of value for the $$, even if they aren't beauty queens and despite the extensive use of plastic.

However, after owning a few and handling/shooting several others, I simply couldn't warm up to the extensive use of plastic parts (and got rid of them in short order) as well as a few other aspects that turned me off.

1. Liberal use of plastic parts (trigger guard, bolt shroud, mags)

2. Detachable Clip (not my cup of tea on a hunting rifle)

3. Hard to load from the breech

4. Action Length..... only 1

5. Plunger ejector and a hook style extractor

And the synthetic stock in particular exhibits too much flex and feels flimsy....

After owning and hunting with them I came to the conclusion that the Tikka's simply weren't what I wanted and desired in a hunting rifle... obviously YMMV.... which is fine, as you only need to please yourself.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology

After owning and hunting with them I came to the conclusion that the Tikka's simply weren't what I wanted and desired in a hunting rifle... obviously YMMV.... which is fine, as you only need to please yourself.

BINGO !!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

BINGO !!!

I fully respect a man who's tried it and didn't like it for what ever reason - provided they respect others who did like it. Every's got a right to personal opinion.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I actually like all the plastic on the Tikka. Lightweight, no maintenance, etc. I only use my guns as a tool. I can appreciate the beauty of a wood stock, and polished blue, but doubt I will ever own another. I think Remmys and Savage are good platforms to strip and start over with though. Of course, if I ever do another 700, it will probably be a Stiller.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Accurate guns are what they are - even if you don't want to respect them.

Interesting watching a guy try to talk down accurate rifles though, just wonder if they've owned one, or just feel bad by see'n another guy out shoot them with one - BWAHHHH..

i.e. - Stick may have Tikka envy

I've long trumpeted the Tikka and Sako of Old...Beretta gutted them and they are simply schit now.

I'm in the fortunate position,in that everyone is eager to show me sumptin' and the Tikka/Salvage Crowd more eager than most. Ain't happened yet,but I do enjoy the comedy..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most guys who can shoot a bug hole on the bench with 4-5 shots find a sense of accomplishment and some pride.

Humilaty comes in trying that in the field - but the most of use know that if the gun isn't capable of shooting the eye out of a pDog it's some what of a waste of time making that a goal in the field. - I use Tikka's for Pdogs and such, not Big game where I use Sako's.

Hey Stick - What's the average weight of a AK deer up there - hear'n they're big on the Islands, but never did hunt the mainland up there.

Spot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Most guys who can shoot a bug hole on the bench with 4-5 shots find a sense of accomplishment and some pride.

Humilaty comes in trying that in the field - but the most of use know that if the gun isn't capable of shooting the eye out of a pDog it's some what of a waste of time making that a goal in the field. - I use Tikka's for Pdogs and such, not Big game where I use Sako's.

Hey Stick - What's the average weight of a AK deer up there - hear'n they're big on the Islands, but never did hunt the mainland up there.

Spot

Most guys who couldn't spell "humilaty",would have the good sense to refrain such humility.

Lettle holes in paper ain't a bad thang,but just a sliver of the big picture. If Tikka were all that,I'd simply have a 100 or so of 'em................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DogC223 = Stiller good, had one. REALLY loving my Borden's wink

Does 'lettle' mean the same as 'little?'

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear that alot Plastic,plastic plastic,.....yeh glocks are no good either right?? In many test plastic is more durable than steel,doesn't rust or suffer as much fatigue. Hard to not like a Tikka unless you are a old fart who has to have a firewood stock and a 10 lb rifle.. LOL Tikka's are outstanding rifles.

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My T3 felt cheaply made, looked ugly, exhibited only average accuracy with best loads, had a super slow barrel, and yes, I have a problem relying on a cheap plastic bolt shroud to protect my face if there is a serious gas release.

Replaced mine with a used 700 KS which is superior in EVERY regard. No firewood or 10 lbs either.

There are far better choices out there.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flame on YOUR 700, but when MY 700 had it's bolt handle just fall off in hand, after firing my first shot upon returning from a Colorado elk hunt, well......that left me wanting. So MY 700 was more INFERIOR as it was rendered utterly useless.

Just sayin'.....MY experience, as we all have different experiences, opinions, etc.

No doubt a Tikka leaves a few 'wants' in design/materials, but that's were a Sako comes in IMHO, and not the mid grade A7, but the full blown SAKO. Priced about same as a KS, but one piece bolt handle assembly and sub MOA guarantee.

As to any rifle being good, it's hard to argue a T3 that is proven reliable, slick running bolt action, light crips trigger w/good locktime, a proven Sako mfg. barrel, and accuracy that out the box will run w/the best of them. AND at a price half a 700 KS....if not a third.

I don't know about gas release as I have not had it happen on a Tikka, nor heard of it. I would think engineers would never put out a dangerous design in today's litigous climate.

I am sure you have few flies on the 700 KS, but I know my Borden Alpine custom sure seems like a BETTER .....quality mousetrap. No doubt, quality materials and labor costs....KS over a T3, and my Borden over both, but it's NICE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you can find me a left handed Sako in .270 WCF for $700 shipped I'll consider it and be happy to do so.
That's what I paid for my LH 700KS and given what the T3 sells for these days there is just no contest.
As to the legendary T3 accuracy, well it just wasn't there for me. 1.5 to over 2" with all but the most accurate loads and even those struggled to do 1".
A gas release is a rare occurence but if it were to happen I'd much prefer the part protecting my face and eyeballs to be metal rather than plastic.
Hey, I'm glad folks like their T3's but I didn't like mine and I won't be recommending them to others nor getting another one for myself.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Tikka receiver is very respectable in design and quality.

It is actually slimmer and lighter than some of the plumbers pipe short action receivers it is being compared to. Not to mention it is machined with a much higher degree of care in regards to finish and machining marks.

I use a T3 for shooting bullets into things and it does that extremely well.

C
C
WOW mixed bag on the Tika... As a retired Green Beret I will say this.. I have carried all the worlds good ideas on my back and plastic on my M4 is great... it does take a whack to break this high impact plastic... since retiring I use a Tika T3 extensively... It shoots sub-moa at 100 and is light.. did I mention light...?? I do a lot of solo backpack hunts in deep... can't find too many kids to play with seems like once the road gets a few miles away and it gets dark their panties bunch up and next hunt I am back solo...

As for the accuaracy issues I have read on here, I don't have one weapon in my house that shoots every ammo I give it.. most have a favorite load... also, I always question everyones shooting ability and how the results were achieved... now I know all of you will now get sensitive, but please spare me.. every Tika I've shot shoots great and that totals 4... I haven't seen any production 700, 70, savage or Tika as of late that doesn't shoot 1.5 or less with nearly any ammo..

Fit and finish on the Tika is great.. So when we talk about accuracy lets put up the targets that reflect the [bleep] groups and some info about conditions, wind etc.. thx xoxxo

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tikka actions are smooth, light, well machined, and come with an awesome trigger. Not sure what's not to love. Once McMillan starts cranking stocks out, the Campfire snobs will probably jump on board.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Tikka actions are smooth, light, well machined, and come with an awesome trigger. Not sure what's not to love. Once McMillan starts cranking stocks out, the Campfire snobs will probably jump on board.

According to Dick at McMillan they already have a few.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here the Tikka T3's are the same price as a new Winchester 70 or a Ruger Hawkeye. So they are not that cheap.
They are very popular mainly because Sako has a reverred brand name over here. I had one. I didn't like it.
I decided it was a cheap rifle being sold for too much. The trigger failed on me twice because I just could not stop the trigger assembly corroding. If you even mentioned snow or anything, it would rust.
It was in .243 and I never got it too shoot better than 1.5 inches with any brand of factory ammo. Now, maybe with reloads it would have done better, but it is an indication.
I have had the old Sako's and they are wonderful rifles, the L series ones, they are just a tad too heavy for backpack hunting.
The Tikka "Continental" menioned earlier winning the compitition - thats a rifle that is nothing like a Tikka T3, its back when Tikka were their own company. The old Tikka's are superior rifles too in my opinion. (But also heavy)
I wont get another Berretta / Tikka . It was one of the very few rifles I have bought brand new, I was disappointed and I wouldn't get another one.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tikka's have without a doubt earned a reputation for accuracy at an affordable price. The actions are extremely slick, feed flawlessly, and have good triggers that are easily adjustable. They're light and balance well IMO....

I can see where many would feel there's a lot of value for the $$, even if they aren't beauty queens and despite the extensive use of plastic.

However, after owning a few and handling/shooting several others, I simply couldn't warm up to the extensive use of plastic parts (and got rid of them in short order) as well as a few other aspects that turned me off.

1. Liberal use of plastic parts (trigger guard, bolt shroud, mags)

2. Detachable Clip (not my cup of tea on a hunting rifle)

3. Hard to load from the breech

4. Action Length..... only 1

5. Plunger ejector and a hook style extractor

And the synthetic stock in particular exhibits too much flex and feels flimsy....

What he said!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.