Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've worked behind the gun counter at two different stores in my life. Mark up on all firearms is very small (Stores make their money on ammo and other gun/hunting related supplies). On the back of the ticket hanging on each gun is a code by which salesmen can know what the store's cost is, all factors considered, on the gun, which is how I know. Next to that was the rock bottom price to accept from a hard dealing customer, which was very little more.

...fits school #3. An $800 gun as opposed to an $1100 gun. Both reliable, but one leaves $300 to spend on more profitable items.

I'm not saying that is what's going on here. But it seems a little odd to assume the "million round gun" story is true on it's face, without seriously considering the possibility that the story is...um...enhanced. I don't believe much of what I hear from or in most gun stores (or the 'net) without some tangible proof, because I have a pretty good idea how much BS is flowing there. That goes to the OP's question I think.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
They both shoot well and are cheap enough to shoot that I shoot them a lot more than I would a 1911 45acp or even a Glock 45acp.

Seriously, that's the best reason on this thread to own a [insert handgun of your choice].

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
He's the best of the best with a single action, for sure, but comparison to my video demonstrates the superior potential of the double action revolver.

He's also shooting a highly modified 8 shot revolver

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He's the best of the best with a single action, for sure, but comparison to my video demonstrates the superior potential of the double action revolver.

Not always. Sometimes he's shooting a six shooter. Do you think that fellow's single action revolver hasn't received the tender care of a gunsmith?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

As a writer, I feel it�s my God given calling to educate. Having such blind faith in something (anything), isn�t healthy. Since the nature of the Glock is a defensive pistol, the consequences of misplaced faith can have horrendous results. Just trying to open some eyes�It�s what I do; I can�t help myself.

I have to rate the hilarity of the irony there. Kudos

IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rath

As a writer, I feel it�s my God given calling to educate. Having such blind faith in something (anything), isn�t healthy. Since the nature of the Glock is a defensive pistol, the consequences of misplaced faith can have horrendous results. Just trying to open some eyes�It�s what I do; I can�t help myself.

I have to rate the hilarity of the irony there. Kudos
Well, no one said I'm normal

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm pretty sure Jerry Miculek uses stock revolvers with the same action job you can get from Clark Custom for $125. He likes S&W due to their fast trigger rebound.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jerry Miculek uses a whole bunch of different revolvers. Early on in his IPSC career, he shot an 8 3/8" S&W 27 that had a serrated thin trigger in place of he wide target trigger. Jerry has also used some of the 8 shot 27's and 6 shot 625's in competition as well. The guy is very good at what he does. What I like about Jerry is that he recognizes what's right for him isn't necessarily right for the next guy. At a match one time, I was shooting a 6" S&W 29 and he was shooting a 625 and we started talking about triggers. He told me he liked a serrated trigger because contrary to "common logic" he didn't like his finger slipping around on a DA trigger. I agreed with him, and told him that I have a strong preference for the S&W wide serrated target trigger for DA work even though it was created for single action bullseye shooting. He paid me a very generous complement by saying it seems to be working very well for me. Still, when it's coming from Jerry, you can't help but feel like he's just being kind, 'cause he can handily whip the crap out of most anyone with ease. In my heyday, if I was using an auto and Jerry was using a revolver, I could make it at least LOOK close. But these days, he'd just hand me my arse without even trying.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I dont like Glocks for 1 reason and 1 reason only: They dont shoot where I'm pointing. They shoot high for me when point shooting, the only handgun I have had this problem with. As far as reliability, my Sigs(3) have been 100% reliable, I had some hangups with my old Glock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about now, but I recall that Jerry used to install a heavier rebound spring in his guns to insure a positive reset and prevent short stroking.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
This thread is why I do not spend much time here on the fire anymore. People start a thread to start an argument.

Marc
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by KuduBull
This thread is why I do not spend much time here on the fire anymore. People start a thread to start an argument.

Is that why you put your .02 in, and bumped it ot the top. If you dont like it, why are you here? You knew what this thread was about and yet you still read it and chimed in. If you dont like the people or the thread....dont read it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KuduBull

Wild guess here: big Glock fan?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not rabid here. Just appreciate the function, reliability, and ease of maintenance.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rabid Glock owners - Please explain???

Are those the ones that can't handle a 1911........kinda like the kids that need training wheels?

MM

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my opinion, the myth of the Glock began some time in the '90's. I clearly recall then, hearing the most incredible stories about Glocks...That they could be run over by a truck and still work like a timex, that they were impervious to saltwater, that they never suffered a jam, even with el cheapo ammo, and so on.
I have never heard such claims about any other gun, however, I think the Glock was so new, that most people didn't know them, and were ready to believe almost anything.
What is particularly surprising, is that now Glocks are well known, yet the myth continues. I actually think Glocks are good pistols, with a combination of marketing genius, and simple, innovative design-they were in the right place at the right time.
Speaking purely for myself, I find the negative features of Glocks outweigh their positives. What are some of these negatives? Polygonal rifling cannot accept cast bullets. The sights are fragile. The dimensions of the gun makes it unsuitable for a variety of carry options. Anything that can move the trigger will fire the gun. The grip frame is poorly executed. The Damn thing is downright hideous.
Add to this the fact that Glock is hardly a tack driver, and you wind up in reality-hardly the legend some would make it out to be.
No doubt there are some who the Glock fits perfectly. I certainly believe for these folks its a great match. However, I have my own suspicion with the Glock myth, that people try to live up to it because it is so pervasive, and so fanatically defended. They want it to be true so badly that they wave every flag on the block, as if by sheer vehemence, the rest of us will believe it too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mak
In my opinion, the myth of the Glock began some time in the '90's. I clearly recall then, hearing the most incredible stories about Glocks...That they could be run over by a truck and still work like a timex, that they were impervious to saltwater, that they never suffered a jam, even with el cheapo ammo, and so on.
I have never heard such claims about any other gun, however, I think the Glock was so new, that most people didn't know them, and were ready to believe almost anything.
What is particularly surprising, is that now Glocks are well known, yet the myth continues. I actually think Glocks are good pistols, with a combination of marketing genius, and simple, innovative design-they were in the right place at the right time.
Speaking purely for myself, I find the negative features of Glocks outweigh their positives. What are some of these negatives? Polygonal rifling cannot accept cast bullets. The sights are fragile. The dimensions of the gun makes it unsuitable for a variety of carry options. Anything that can move the trigger will fire the gun. The grip frame is poorly executed. The Damn thing is downright hideous.
Add to this the fact that Glock is hardly a tack driver, and you wind up in reality-hardly the legend some would make it out to be.
No doubt there are some who the Glock fits perfectly. I certainly believe for these folks its a great match. However, I have my own suspicion with the Glock myth, that people try to live up to it because it is so pervasive, and so fanatically defended. They want it to be true so badly that they wave every flag on the block, as if by sheer vehemence, the rest of us will believe it too.

Nice summary.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know a Glock shooter who isn't satisfied with their weapon. Of course, they have a different level of satisfaction than I do.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I don't know a Glock shooter who isn't satisfied with their weapon. Of course, they have a different level of satisfaction than I do.

Dan

There it is. Sheesh, Dan, if you woulda said that earlier you woulda saved everyone a lot of time.

Robert Frost
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Mak

Amen!

Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 42 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,162
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.