-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have wanted to do that one for many years. I expect to not bag a ram, but there is no chance short of winning the lotto that I can hunt sheep anywhere else. I just can't pull 12g's out of my families mouth for AK. I already have the wife prepped for me spending the dough to take pictures of landscape....lol. oh well, can't winn if you don't play!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Nice ram, Pat

Is that a tent in the picture behind that ram? I thought you just threw your bag on the ground under a tree and pulled a piece of plastic over you...like you and Jerry did on top of that mountain in that big rainstorm back in about '85 or '86?

As for the statement of guides sitting on rams and threatening other hunters, well, like Scenarshooter, I also hunted several of the Unlimited areas for many years and I never saw this occur. I'm not saying it never happens or that it can't happen, I'm just saying I've never seen it happen.

I've also known Scenarshooter for about 30 years, and like the pictures he has posted on this Forum show, he's killed more game animals, and more BIG game animals than most of us will ever see. Pat is about as hard a hunter as anyone will ever see. Only one day you left the mountain too early, didn't you Pat? whistle

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mentioned above that I had hunted Montana's Unlimited sheep areas for a number of years. I wasn't successful every hunt, and some hunts I didn't even see a sheep. And I regret now that I didn't hunt them harder back then.

Like Scenarshooter posted, we used to be able to buy an Unlimited tag if we were not successful in the drawing for limited areas. I haven't hunted in the Unlimited areas since FWP made the Unlimited tag our first choice.

And I was successful on a few of my Unlimited ram hunts...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have wanted to do that one for many years. I expect to not bag a ram, but there is no chance short of winning the lotto that I can hunt sheep anywhere else. I just can't pull 12g's out of my families mouth for AK. I already have the wife prepped for me spending the dough to take pictures of landscape....lol. oh well, can't winn if you don't play!

Unfortunately, 12 Grand won't do it anymore either. frown

Ted

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
thanks for sharing the information, pics, and memories. It definately fuels the mind.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Unfortunately, 12 Grand won't do it anymore either. frown

Ted

I was playing on the poor economy....lol

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buffybr
I mentioned above that I had hunted Montana's Unlimited sheep areas for a number of years. I wasn't successful every hunt, and some hunts I didn't even see a sheep. And I regret now that I didn't hunt them harder back then.

Like Scenarshooter posted, we used to be able to buy an Unlimited tag if we were not successful in the drawing for limited areas. I haven't hunted in the Unlimited areas since FWP made the Unlimited tag our first choice.

And I was successful on a few of my Unlimited ram hunts...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kurt, We sure had some good times chasing those rams in the Hilgard's back in the 80's! It was sad to see them close that unit.

For anyone listening, Kurt's collection of westerm trophys would rival anybody's that I know. I suggest when he speaks, keep your ears open....lots of knowledge there and he's willing to share it.

His Golden Retriever, "Buffy" was one of the coolest dogs I've ever been around.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Your statememet would be about the same as me telling someone how to go to Missouri and hunt whitetails.

Sumpin' tells me you'd do alright at that too. wink laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how do you know when the quota has been met......if you are miles deep?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
guys thanks for keep up the faith for me, this seems to be the most taboo topic in the world. I, as a working class joe who makes my money right in the heart of that season have a tough time scouting it let alone hunting it. nobody wants to tell much because of the vulnerability of the hunt. I really appreciate the pics and info.....very classy.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You have to call out, cell or sat phone.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
is that a daily thing? what was the procedure pre cell phones?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Word of mouth...Forest Service guys or FWP Wardens would ride the trails,visit camps and spread the word. Once in awhile someone would show up with a ram taken beyond the 48 hour closure notice, but not very often.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The status of the units is also broadcast on an AM radio station (can't remember which one) every evening.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How long, on average, is the unit actually open? Does it generally close after the second day or what it the norm?

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is there a minimum curl restriction?

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, it is 3/4 curl. The montana regs tell you how to determine if it is 3/4 curl or better.

C
C
Can someone explain how it works to me?? Not that I am a rock but I am curious about where and when and how one obtains a tag??

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You have to put in for the draw in May, but when you choose an unlimited unit theres no guess about if a tag is gonna show up in August. X2 on there being alot of bad info out there I think there are alot of people tryin to scare people off. It is very rugged and there arent many sheep but it is doable. You just have to put alot of work and time in. Id say that if your a non resident itd be just as cheap and quicker to just buy a guided Dalls sheep hunt

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Call Mike Lovely; if he's still in business he will give you some good information.
http://www.rboutfitters.com/hunt/sheep.php

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 73 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.