Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My last reloading set up got lost somewhere in my last PCS (damned if I can find it). So I'm looking to replace.

I had a Rockchucker kit, like many I suppose, and am shopping for a replacement. Was looking at the Hornady set up/kit.

Was wondering if folks had a reason they could give me to chose one over the other? I know RCBS has a stellar rep for CS (never used it myself) and I like the idea of an electronic scale that's in the Hornady set up. Plus their powder measure looks to be better than the RCBS set up.

Anyone?

Me

GB1

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Primarily reload rifle ammo - no high volume pistol or anything so I really have no use for a progressive press either.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are both very high quality machines/kits. Pick the one with the items you most like and at the best price; you can't go wrong.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I saw somewhere that RCBS is running rebate program- $50 off a $300 or more purchase..

Other than that, both companies make excellent stuff.

Lee also makes a nice cast-iron "classic" press as well.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for dies, I like RCBS better than Hornady. I do believe the rest of the equipment(press, scales, ...) is all quality and a toss up.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I put together my setup a piece at a time from various manufacturers like Redding, Lyman, Redding, Hornady and RCBS. I prefer Redding, but if I was gonna buy a complete set it would be Hornady.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC the new RCBS presses are made in China.

I have a 25 year old Lyman Orange Crush that's given stalwart service but if I were looking to replace it I'd go Redding.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
IIRC the new RCBS presses are made in China.

I have a 25 year old Lyman Orange Crush that's given stalwart service but if I were looking to replace it I'd go Redding.

Dittos...

Redding has held their quality and high standards, while RCBS is just another corporate cash cow anymore.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I were to start over,it probably would be Redding.I have been very happy with the RCBS stuff that I have,but it is old enough that it was American made.There is really no wrong answer here,they are all pretty good. Lightman

lightman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I started out with RCBS stuff in 1967 and own two of their presses. But I find myself buying more and more Redding stuff lately. I really like Redding's die quality.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Redding for quality!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just replaced my 33 year old RCBS Reloader Special as it was too "short" to load the 450-400 easily. I went with the Lee Classic Cast and am very pleased. I am not a user of Lee stuff but this press is very well executed. I would grab that press, their Auto-Prime (unless loading big rimmed stuff then the RCBS), the Hornady powder measure and an RCBS 10-10 scale. No kit for me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The new RCBS Rockchucker has an abysmal primer catcher that just as likely dumps them on the floor.

Hornady's Lock-N-Load Classic press also uses a plastic primer catcher tray, although I can't rate it. The Lock-N-Load die bushings are quick, but you need one for each die. I have over 100 die sets - so that means I still have to change them out or invest too much.

The RCBS and Hornady powder measures are nearly identical, they both work the same. The RCBS case activated powder drop mechanism on the Pro 200 Auto Progressive press is licensed from Hornady - it's the same thing. I found electronic scales too slow, and prone to inaccuracies if not maintained perfectly level. They are sensitive to air currents. The old balance beam scales are fairly bullet proof.

I have both the RCBS Pro 200 Progressive and a Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive. The Hornady is a early model, it was so prone to breakage and primer jams, that I discontinued using it. They have since redesigned the primer feed. Nice shell plates though, better than the RCBS.

The RCBS Pro 2000 uses the CCI Strip Primers, or any brand can be loaded into the strips. Their shell plates are finicky though, some care is needed to prevent powder from being ejected from cases full to the shoulder when advancing the plate. RCBS provided a lighter plate indexing spring to stop the detent ball from snapping home and knocking powder out of the cases.

I switched to a Redding T-7 Turret Press for load development (still had to modify the ram so spent primers wouldn't drop on the floor), and use the RCBS Pro 2000 for volume runs. Some say the Forster CO-AX press is the best, no shell holders needed. Dies snap in and out on the lock ring. The behemoth of presses is Richard Corbin's Walnut Hill Press for bullet swaging and reloading, at $435 www.rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=81&from=36 .

I use all brands of dies - RCBS, Redding, Forster, Hornady, Lee.

Why not go to each manufacturer's web site and download a manual for the various products, that might help with a decision.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 01/09/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If Hornady is doing the free bullet deal again this year it would be worth looking into.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd piece mine together as I went if i did it all over.

I won't buy anymore hornady dies though... I can never seem to snug the decap stem quite tight enough with their collet design... in the meantime I find no flaws with Redding dies getting most of my business.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just busted a decapper rod,pin on a set of RCBS dies that I've had for a while .The company is sending me a new one free of charge. Thats service ,so I'll stick with RCBS --1Longbow

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking of piecing mine together but Hornady is now throwing in 500 free bullets if you buy their kit.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+++ for Redding. Superior quality, built in the USA from materials made in the USA, and a great supporting staff of people.

Steve

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The next press I buy will be a Redding Ultramag. I have a Rock Chucker but I like the linkage system design of the Ultramag better.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just my experience . . . If loading primarily straight or straight tapered (ie, not casings with shoulders) rounds, the Lee Classic cast press will do nicely and serve you well for a long time. I picked up a Redding Boss a few years ago and it is very impressive. I use Lee dies for my BPCR and straight cased handgun rounds, RCBS and Redding dies for all else. If you are not treating your equipment like an 800 pound gorilla would most anything will suffice. That said, were I to be starting over, I'd set up with Redding goods, they just seem to be of a higher quality and more precise . . . nothing against anything I've had, though.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.