Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of American Hunter Feeders and if I'd had an idea what useless Chinese crap they were I'd have never bought them.

Does anyone have an idea for a good feeder that can be hung from cables between trees that might last and work better than these worthless pieces of crap?

If even one stray piece of corn gets under the slinger plate all operations come to a halt until you pry it out of there. No battery meter means the battery will ALWAYS run out right after you fill and leave the feeder. LOL

I spend more time working on these dang feeders than they spend slinging corn, soybeans or anything else I've tried in them.

Ideas?

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob, I've actually had good luck with the analog and digital AHs for the past 10 years. I have 10 AHs, one quit and one required a new motor.

The best feeders we run are On Time, which are made near my home town. I have had to get nearly all of my OTs serviced, but I've had them for a long time.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Looking at your situation from a engineering stand point, you are never going to get a reliable deer feeder as long as you are hanging it between trees on a cable.

While you are at it, anyone that is not intelligent enough to spend $8.00 on a cheap mulitmeter - gets what they deserve.
I bought a cheap GB analog meter years ago at the local True Value hardware store - just as a back up and I have never put a battery or a fuse in it and it has worked flawlessly for 17 years.

In a real world, a feeder is no good for deer anyways because all you are doing is training the deer to come to the sound of the feeder going off. As the deer gets more and more accustomed to hearing the feeder - they will be less and less prone to eat the natural vegetation around them. In time you will make them so spoiled that they will almost starve to death in just a couple of generations - if you don't keep feeding them on a daily basis.

That's not a natural way for the wild animals to live.
More then likely in the long run, some disease will come along and wipe out your entire deer herd - because they are eating and fraternizing too closely together.
There is no way to maintain their health when you cannot have a vet come in and check them from time to time to ensure that there is no diseases in your herd.

So all I can say is that it is best not to feed the deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
Looking at your situation from a engineering stand point, you are never going to get a reliable deer feeder as long as you are hanging it between trees on a cable.

While you are at it, anyone that is not intelligent enough to spend $8.00 on a cheap mulitmeter - gets what they deserve.
I bought a cheap GB analog meter years ago at the local True Value hardware store - just as a back up and I have never put a battery or a fuse in it and it has worked flawlessly for 17 years.

In a real world, a feeder is no good for deer anyways because all you are doing is training the deer to come to the sound of the feeder going off. As the deer gets more and more accustomed to hearing the feeder - they will be less and less prone to eat the natural vegetation around them. In time you will make them so spoiled that they will almost starve to death in just a couple of generations - if you don't keep feeding them on a daily basis.

More then likely in the long run, some disease will come along and wipe out your entire deer herd - because they are eating and fraternizing too closely together.
There is no way to maintain their health when you cannot have a vet come in and check them from time to time to ensure that there is no diseases in your herd.

Your Lee24, aren't you?

Last edited by Pete E; 01/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LDHunter
I have a couple of American Hunter Feeders and if I'd had an idea what useless Chinese crap they were I'd have never bought them.

Does anyone have an idea for a good feeder that can be hung from cables between trees that might last and work better than these worthless pieces of crap?

If even one stray piece of corn gets under the slinger plate all operations come to a halt until you pry it out of there. No battery meter means the battery will ALWAYS run out right after you fill and leave the feeder. LOL

I spend more time working on these dang feeders than they spend slinging corn, soybeans or anything else I've tried in them.

Ideas?

$bob$

Have you thought about a solar panel to keep the battery trickle charged?

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i use amhf and have found them to be better than anything else ive tried. i used 120lb. grease drum put a couple of hooks on the side about 6 inhes down from lip. use a small piece of chain and a gambriel .this will give you room to take top off with no obstructins.i use the 4x4 style to raise and lower works just fine. good luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Your Lee24, aren't you?

I rarely pay attention to people that don't divulge any information about themselves like this guy or even where they're from.

Ignore him...

He doesn't know that you have to completely remove the battery to hook up a multimeter and by the time you've done that you've wasted even more time than these POS meters deserve. The better meters have a digital readout that includes a battery meter that can be read at a glance.

Also hundreds of thousands of hunters all over the SE United States have been feeding deer for decades and I've never heard of deer becoming dependent on corn and shunning natural browse or disease which is virtually unknown here due to our low forage quality and resulting low deer density.

Thanks to the others for your advise... It appears that AH has starting using a different Chinese supplier for their feeder motors as my buddy that has one that's a couple years old has loaned me his and it's a bit different and functions a good bit more reliably even if it's been used mostly year 'round for two years.

I'll look at the On Time Feeders and others that were mentioned. I guess most anything these days is Chinese and cheaply manufactured. The gas and time to go check/fill my feeders far outweighs feed cost or paying more for quality feeder equipment.

$bob$

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have you thought about a solar panel to keep the battery trickle charged?

Yep... I already have bought rechargeable batteries and am looking for a good deal on solar panels that work. I want to resolve my other issues first though....

$bob$

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SAVAGE14
i use amhf and have found them to be better than anything else ive tried. i used 120lb. grease drum put a couple of hooks on the side about 6 inhes down from lip. use a small piece of chain and a gambriel .this will give you room to take top off with no obstructins.i use the 4x4 style to raise and lower works just fine. good luck.

OK.... I'm new to this game....What's "amhf?

As far as mounting them I think I'm using the same system as you.

$bob$

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's how I have my feeders set up... The bear is "optional"... wink
[Linked Image]

You can see the boat winch on the tree that the bear has spent at least 5 times working on. He's figured out that this is the key to it all but hasn't figured out how to work it yet... LOL

$bob$

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ld, that's the same problem we have in eastern NC! The sad thing is we cant hunt them over bait. They are really becoming high in numbers.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah... We can't hunt bears in any scenario and it's been so long since we've been able to that they've just about totally lost their fear of humans and populations are skyrocketing, so it's a real mess.

I'd feed soybeans only (reputed not to attract bears) but they're almost triple the cost of corn which is very high this year at $9/50lb bag.

My game cams show almost as many bears as deer.... sick

$bob$

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I junked 3 American Feeders Yesterday ;Bought a On TIME $89 with a life time Warenty

Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jimmy,

I'm looking all over the net and it appears that Cabelas has pretty good pricing for the On Time Feeders.

Which model do you get and why?

Also if you ordered it online would you please provide a direct link?

Thanks,
$bob$

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had great luck with All Seasons feeders. The same two have been working very well for about 6 years now, so they have been dependable over time. We leave them unattended for months at a time & they keep ticking up in the Texas Panhandle with temps from single digits to triple digits, ice, snow, rain, dust storms, etc.

It looks like you have a barrel, so one of these control units should bolt right on. I'd use an inside funnel to keep funk from growing in the dead spaces around the edges when a funnel is not used. It can get ripe!

http://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?id=1511

http://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?id=1233

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HCR... Last feeder you'll ever buy...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
HCR... Last feeder you'll ever buy...

HCR? Whazzat?

$bob$

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer

As a general rule I try to avoid making disparaging comments about other posters offerings. That said and my apologies-- THAT IS ABOUT THE BIGGEST LOAD OF HORSE CRAP I HAVE EVER READ.

As to feeders-- I'll agree with Bro Bart HCR are good. IMO Spin Cast are good too. So are Sweeny and All Seasons. Those are the ones that I have had primo results from.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

http://www.texashunterproducts.com/cohefekitth.html
attach to your bucket if you don't want to use a larger barrel.

stumpy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,

Look at www.simmonssportinggoods.com

They are local here, but have the best OT prices I've seen.

Look under the feeder acc tab. The Ranger($49) is the exact same inside as the lifetime analog, but it has a piece of sch40 PVC for an outer shell instead of all aluminum. The funnel is all aluminum on both(they are the same). Give Simmons a call or On Time directly, The last time I bought a Ranger it had the lifetime wtty as well.

The only thing I dislike about OT is that they have started charging for parts when they repair a feeder. I always thought a lifetime wtty should be no cost to the user and it used to be with OT until last year. They also have repair centers around. There's one in my hometown that only charges for parts.

We've had good luck taking scrap pieces of angle iron to anchor the winch to the tree. Drill a couple holes for lags into the tree and a couple to mount the winch. Only takes a piece about 4" long. Alot of the steel shops will just give them to you.

I also like to tie off the handle with a piece of good nylon. If the bear does happen to free spool the winch, it will not go anywhere.

Have a good one,

loder

Last edited by Reloader7RM; 01/10/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.