Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some communication problems with Afton house and there fax machine not working either. Trying to check another thing off my "to do list" for my 2011 hunt and having trouble getting past this one last few days. Lol

Can anyone reccommend another hotel/bed & breakfast for overnight stay when entering johanusburg?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
give em a break....sometimes it takes a little time for them to get back....not sure u will find a better b and b....remember, they are on "Africa time"...you will learn about that when you get there......u gotta practice chillin' Stoney....lol

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
not sure u will find a better b and b
No Motel 6 or Red Roof Inns?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Afton House, dirty, terrible food, terrible rooms, way overpriced, on and on. They give free lodging to writers so that accounts for the reviews. I would stay at the hotel in the airport.

Last edited by RinB; 01/10/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry you had a bad experience RinB, but mine was quite the opposite. Our experience from airport pickup to delvery was four star. Clean well appointed rooms, owners went out of their way to accommodate us including multiple unfruitful pick up trips due us being rerouted to alternate flights. Supper was a BBQ steak for $20 that had a buffet to accompany it. Full English breakfast in the morning before delivery to the airport. I am no gun writer, just a jovial old fat man traveling with my wife to safari.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree withe medicman. our stay there in 2008 was fine, and we are staying with them again in July.

maddog

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by maddog
I agree withe medicman. our stay there in 2008 was fine, and we are staying with them again in July.

maddog
Maddog, were you able to contact them?

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RinB
Afton House, dirty, terrible food, terrible rooms, way overpriced, on and on. They give free lodging to writers so that accounts for the reviews. I would stay at the hotel in the airport.
RinB, do you remember the hotel info at the airport? That sounds easy to me...fly in, go straight to your room.

I did a search and this seems to be the only hotel at the airport. $505.00 per night seems high, but have no choice if I wish to get some rest upon arriving.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/overview/jnbhc

Last edited by slg888; 01/11/11.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
one of the guys in our party, (Tim Todd) flew in from California and he stayed there at the airport. He said it was nice. Craig (from Cruiser) already had him in the van when he picked Tip and I up at Afton. Its kinda congested gettin in and out of there (the airport) but the Cruiser guys seem to be used to it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by maddog

maddog
Maddog, were you able to contact them?

Haven't needed to, yet. We did our airline and support bookings through Steve Turner, owner of Travel with Guns, in Texas. He formerly worked for Gracy. He is on top of everything, and already has Afton booked for us. We missed Annelize at the DSC convention, but Steve has everything in order. We are going to use their meet/greet at JHB for our overnite, before going on to Zim, the next morning. I might add, that Annelize is in the states on the show circuit, right now, so that may be part of the trouble.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 01/11/11.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a fan of the Afton either and prefer to stay in either the Intercontinental which is right in front of the airport terminals or if not, the Airport Holiday Inn which is a 5 minute (free) bus ride away from the terminals.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Stayed at the Africa Sky Guest House in April. Room was very nice, food was excellent, transportation to/from airport included. Used Gracy to set everything up. Would definitely do so again. Pm if you want their contact info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I are making arrangements to stay at Africa Sky Guest House this June.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by wyoguide
Stayed at the Africa Sky Guest House in April. Room was very nice, food was excellent, transportation to/from airport included. Used Gracy to set everything up. Would definitely do so again. Pm if you want their contact info.

+1 Very nice, very clean.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have never had a bad experience with Afton in my three trips over, but I have also heard very good things about Africa Sky Guest House.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FOsteology
My son and I are making arrangements to stay at Africa Sky Guest House this June.
Thanks for the info Fosteolgy, will try contacting Africa Sky today.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Also check out the Southern Sun.
They have a shuttle from the airport and back. Pick up at the airport is in the same lane as all the rest. they drop you at the hotel door and pick you up when you are ready to leave and stop at both terminals on the way (domestic and international) on your way out. You can book on line or your travel agent (if using one) can do it for you.
We stayed there in 09 and had excellent service, food, etc.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Stayed at Witwater Guest House in August 2008. A bit pricey, but 5 minutes from Tambo in their shuttle, excellent accommodations, service and food. You may want to check with them.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have only stayed at the Afton twice, in 2003 and 2008, but the rooms, food, service etc. were excellent both times. Oh, and I am a hunting/shooting writer and did NOT get to stay for free either time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My wife and I are planning a trip to Africa this summer and it looks like we will have and overnight stay in J-Berg. I have have heard that overnight rooms are $300-$500, any truth to this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 45 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,663
Posts18,512,905
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.