Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LT_DAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
in the newspapers this morning in SA:5 rhino poachers shot and killed in the Kruger Park. this brings the number of poachers killed in the last 5 months on 10. congrats to the park rangers for their excellent shooting skills.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Excellent news!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rath
Excellent news!

+1

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is it a shoot on sight proposition or were the rangers defending themselves?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Harsh.

If killing poachers on sight, is a good idea for Africa - why not do it in North America? If ever poacher was killed when they attempted it - I wonder how many list members we'd loose?

But then, if we did that - some prominent guides, outfitters and gun writers would be dead now - wouldn't they?

Ahh, I guess it's OK, since the guys they are killing are only Africans.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
BCB
You must have a lot of inside knowledge of specfic facts to make such a statement.
I have hunted with guides in Alaska, Nefoundland Canada and 7 states in the US and have never seen or heard any person recommend such actions nor in any of our deer camps.
Why don't you quote specfic facts or____

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
On this very list we have had people rush to defend and trip over themselves apologizing for the actions of a few guides, outfitters, and "fire-arms celebrities" - who were caught breaking some of our wild-life laws.

It seems to me, that the feeling is that when it's an African who poaches - the common sentiment is - +1 on killing the man in cold blood!

BUT - when it's a "good-ole-boy" (over here) who poaches - it seems to be a more normal reaction, on this forum, is to try and excuse away what he did.

I hear of no calls to start executing North American poachers - is there anyone on this list that believes in doing that?

If not - why not?

Personally I tend to have have way more sympathy for a poor African who might poach - to feed his family - and who might well live with extreme dire poverty every day of his life - than I do for some North American hunter who poaches - only to feed his ego.

But, that's just me.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I can't speak for another person, but BCB was probably referring Jeff Foiles, whose high profile arrest was just about a month ago. I'm sure there are crooked guides out there, hopefully their clients turn them in, I know I would.

As far as shooting poachers, I have a hard time weighing the life of a man above that of an animal, no matter if he is a poacher. But I'm not from SA, and these poachers were stealing from all of the residents as well as possibly crippling sightseeing/tourism/safari companies. I'm sure a wild rhino creates a lot of jobs and wealth, but I'm glad I'm not being asked to pull the trigger.

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
in the newspapers this morning in SA:5 rhino poachers shot and killed in the Kruger Park. this brings the number of poachers killed in the last 5 months on 10. congrats to the park rangers for their excellent shooting skills.

Are you white?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can agree with you.

It's a weird dynamic though - where men are executed - and other men cheer - all because someone shot an animal that someone said wasn't theirs to kill.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It must suck to live in a place that has abundant game, that is off limits to the lower classes in society.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know if you mean that or not. But if your thoughts are real - I agree.

I don't know how it is anywhere else - but I think those trying to feed their families should be first on the list for being allowed to kill wild animals - sport hunters like myself - can chase what's left.

It seems only right. I mean - if I don't hunt - my family probably is going to have more money spent on them. If I don't shoot an animal - my kids never suffer because of it...for the poor African - it's not quite the same - is it?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Ahhhhhh....

BCBRian, Calvin..I don't know quite where to start...

It helps to spend some time in Africa, and I dont know if you have...maybe/maybe not.

African problems/people/perceptions/solutions can be-and are- often radically different from our own....it is a form of Nationalistic Chauvanism to impose our idea/solutions on them...and vice versa.

With in depth understanding of the issues/problems comes understanding...unless youve had some experience "over there", perhaps the totality of the understanding is not in place....

I'm just sayin...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If what they do in Africa is good (killing men for killing animals) then we ought to try it over here.

Just saying. We have less actual substantive reasons to poach in North America compared to anywhere else on earth.

If we don't execute people for poaching over here - the reasons for not doing that - speak for themselves.

Men's lives trump animal's lives.

It would seem to me - that much should be self-evident.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Actually...I have less of a problem with that than you might think....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Actually, it's the "send the black dude in first" mentality that will keep me from ever going to Africa to hunt. It's just gay. And it's not that I don't have the means..

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Personally I tend to have have way more sympathy for a poor African who might poach - to feed his family -

A little quick google-foo for you of poached rhinos...they ALL look like this..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops! Those poor african poachers forgot something....THE MEAT!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The solution - in my opinion - is to make sure every African within hunting range of the game being shot - should have a measurable benefit to his life - for protecting that animal.

When keeping hunt-able populations of big-game financially benefits the people living in the area - the future of the big-game animals in that region will be assured for ever.

We have to make the indigenous people stake-holders in the process.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Personally I tend to have have way more sympathy for a poor African who might poach - to feed his family -

A little quick google-foo for you of poached rhinos...they ALL look like this..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops! Those poor african poachers forgot something....THE MEAT!

It's all about the $$$$$$!!!! Poor people want $$$$$ - just like the rest of us do. Do you think these poachers live in nice houses like you do and spend their time worrying about what university to send their kids to?

If there's a death penalty for poaching - are you suggesting they stick around and butcher the whole animal - seriously?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Brian, you are exactly right....and poaching for horn destroys a VERY valuable commodity to not only the Safari industry, but to the ever growing eco-tourism industry...both things that bring in as much as ( or more than) half of the income to everybody in the wildlife areas....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,732
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.