Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BertW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey guys! I saw this at the gun shop yesterday and had to take a couple of quick pics. The lady that brought it in said it belonged to her grandfather and she wanted it cleaned up so she could hunt with it. She would not listen to any offers to buy it. I begged, still didn't work. I looked in Murray's book when I got home, thank you guys for suggesting it. I think it's a K based on what I saw. It is a beautiful take down 99.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/skullaero/savage99K006.jpg[/img]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A beautiful 99K that some dumb bunny had to drill and tap. That is such a same cry

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Blair,

Our predessors were NOT dumb bunnies!!! smile smile smile Bubba is a dumb bunny. That rifle was used for what it was meant to be used for. To the "pure" collector some interest is gone. To me as a hunter/collector I can only dream of owning that rifle. Look at the scope. Zeiss YIKES!!! Probably some old fart like me owned it and couldn't see the sights. The only other K I have ever even come close to owning was drilled and tapped. Nonetheless, that rifle is gorgeous. smile smile

Now all I have to do is get my thighs unstuck!!!!! grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That scope was one of the best of the best back in its' day. No expense was spared at the time, I'd say.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That really is a nice condition "K" other then the scope mts !! frown frown what caliber? Romac, maybe she would take the birdseye rifle in trade !! grin Don

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Blair,

Our predessors were NOT dumb bunnies!!! smile smile smile Bubba is a dumb bunny. That rifle was used for what it was meant to be used for.

If your talking about hunting Steve, then why would they buy a K and keep it in that kind of condition. I'm thinking that gun hasn't seen a whole lot of fresh air in it's day.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm guessing it's a 250 to boot!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aaah... my kind of 99K! Really is in great condition, bet it wasn't hunted more than a few years - and then by somebody who took really good care of his guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loggah, she'd have to pry it from my dead hands... The way I see it there are lots of K's to buy for those with the $$$$. The special order rare woods like mine are not so common. I'm just a guy who got lucky, lucky enough to know what I was looking at.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate D&T'd guns but I think I could get over it if I could buy that one.

Interesting mounts. Bet Mike (Lightfoot) knows what they are.

Last edited by 99guy; 01/12/11.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it's just pure speculation but just imagine if someone had had the foresight to put that scope in Stith mounts. whistle whistle whistle

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could overlook the mounts if the the price was right....thats a sweet rifle.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's the first set of mounts on a 99 that I liked. World class scope too. Nothing Bubba about that one. What is lost in collector value is made up for in that combo IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love to have that rifle for hunting don't get me wrong here, but like Jed says for the right price. I just cringe when I see a rifle that has been taken care of then it has been drilled and tapped. The rifle was probably 20 or 30 years old when it was drilled and tapped. One of my K's spent over 15 years as a ranchers saddle gun, only mod was a Marbles rear sight.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That Zeis Zielklein scope is 2 1/4x and is pre-War. Likely installed when the rifle was still pretty fresh. State of the art optics then, and better than a lot of el-cheapos today given a professional cleaning.

Granted not what I would wish for in a K, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jed you are right on. Its perfect and I bet the woman who owns it would say the same thing.

It seems like everytime anyone posts anything on this forum anymore many of you all rush forward to see who could condemn it the fastest. As if everything you own is factory mint. Christ, get real. I won't own a mint condition gun because to be mint it hasn't ever been fired and if never fired how would you know it actually works.

As to price, it may be priceless in the owners eyes...oh yea I think the original poster implied such.

Mom use to say:
If you can't say anything nice...shut up

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It's regretful that it got drilled and tapped but it couldn't be any more period correct with top-end gear.

I'd say those mounts are very early Redfields.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LRF

It seems like everytime anyone posts anything on this forum anymore many of you all rush forward to see who could condemn it the fastest.

So the next time someone shows up with an 1895 thats been D&T'd with a compass in the forearm and recoil pad installed we should blow sunshine up their arse?

Not bloody likely.

If it's a clam I'll call it a clam. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, if you take it personally thats your mistake.

Last edited by mad_dog; 01/12/11.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.
Will Rogers

If that was any relatives rifle of mine it would be priceless to me. But it isn't and it is what it is.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Id trade a few to own that one! classy and nice set up, still a shame it was D&T.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 222Sako, 1badf350, 43 invisible), 17,439 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,934
Posts18,539,197
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.