Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have been using Easton Axis arrows the past several years and have been happy except for having the shaft ends splinter when shooting small game heads or blunts stump shooting while backpack hunting. With some shafts breaking (one on my first Elk this fall, a 335 P&Y), or being lost shooting grouse, etc. I need to replace. I bought the Easonts when purchasing my first bow, so I have no experience with any other shafts. Looking for input on the best (toughest, most accurate) arrow for hunting. Cost is not an issue.

Application is Elk and Mule Deer.

Shooting Mathews Drenalin, 30 inch draw, 70 lbs with 100gr tips.

Thanks in advance for your input

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a trad guy not a compound shooter, so can't be too specific, but brand wise, I don't think there is any real accuracy difference between them. Accuracy is a matter of proper tuning, form, practice and what's between the shooters ears. As far as toughness is concerned, I've had good luck with the Carbon Express and Arrow Dynamics shafts. That said, I'm shooting some Gold Tips at the moment and expect them to hold up as well. You might consider footing your arrows, gluing a short (1-2") piece of aluminum shaft over the point end of the shaft, it keeps the insert from being driven back and splintering the shaft. It helps, but won't entirely prevent breakage. Hit something solid or a hard glancing shot and any shaft will suffer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Easton ACC 3-60.
End search.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
"Easton ACC 3-60"

Probaby the answer to best! I liked alot the Carbon Express Terminator Selects. The straight and heavy ones, not the junk at Walmart. They discontinued them. Cabelas sells their brand of carbon for a great price. I think Beeman makes them with pretty good specs.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
Easton ACC 3-60.
End search.
+ 1 trillion................

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my Goldtip 5575 XT's about 9 yrs ago. I have replaced the feathers a couple of times but they are holding up well. Im not a stump shooter, but I imagine they would have a few casualties if I was shooting soild targets. I have yet to have a Goldtip not perform as it should on game.

I did hear that the company had made some changes in ownership or productions site or something like that. I can not vouch for the current stuff Goldtip is producing, but the ones I have are great.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shoot both A/C/C's and FMJ's I like the FMJ's better myself.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ACC 3-49 is been my favorite killing stick for yrs.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Goldtips for me...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many options to choose from and you can't go wrong.

I never had a problem with Carbon Maxima Hunters.

The best indicator is their straightness.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by slg888
ACC 3-49 is been my favorite killing stick for yrs.

Me too. Over 15 years.

My recommendation of the 3-60 was in order to fit the OP's DL/DW.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think you have them- Axis. Bottom line is any arrow into rocks etc is going to have trouble. If you really want to bullet proof your Axis epoxy a 1/2" long piece of aluminum shafting over the end. Be sure to always square the ends on a jig- sleeve or no sleeve.
The 300, 340, 400 and 500 use a 2013, 2016, 2018 or 2020 aluminum respectively.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on "Best". ACC's are fine on deer and the like, and very accurate, but I like a heavier/tougher shaft for larger things. Just my opinion, but at my lighter poundage specs with a compound and medium weight in my trad set ups, "light ain't right".

I hunt trad and compound. The aformentioned Terminators are/were tough stuff. Still shooting the original 2 doz. I purchased 5-6 years ago.

The Easton/Beeman products are hard to beat. As mentioned my experience with Carbon Express has been nothing but positive. I have heard good things from the Axis, N-fused stuff, and weight forward maxima hunters.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

H
H
acc 3-49 for me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Goldtips for me...

Originally Posted by Badley
I bought my Goldtip 5575 XT's about 9 yrs ago. I have replaced the feathers a couple of times but they are holding up well. Im not a stump shooter, but I imagine they would have a few casualties if I was shooting soild targets. I have yet to have a Goldtip not perform as it should on game.

I did hear that the company had made some changes in ownership or productions site or something like that. I can not vouch for the current stuff Goldtip is producing, but the ones I have are great.

You won't find a better arrow for day after day use and abuse. I have shot hundreds of gophers with them and they take the abuse like a Timex watch. I keep a half dozen new Goldtips in my arrow carrier for hunting season and I know they are not going to fail...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Easton FMJ's all day long for me.

Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character. (Winston Wolf - Pulp Fiction)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawtoothsteve
I have been using Easton Axis arrows the past several years and have been happy except for having the shaft ends splinter when shooting small game heads or blunts stump shooting while backpack hunting. With some shafts breaking (one on my first Elk this fall, a 335 P&Y), or being lost shooting grouse, etc. I need to replace. I bought the Easonts when purchasing my first bow, so I have no experience with any other shafts. Looking for input on the best (toughest, most accurate) arrow for hunting. Cost is not an issue.

Application is Elk and Mule Deer.

Shooting Mathews Drenalin, 30 inch draw, 70 lbs with 100gr tips.

Thanks in advance for your input
I'm shooting a bow similar to your's, Drenalin LD. I just switched to carbon about a year and half ago and went with the Victory V-1's and FOB's. I do a lot of shooting around my house in the non winter months and haven't had an arrow break on me yet. Haven't had an opportunity to kill anything with them yet but I've got a friend that uses the same arrow and has shot a big bull moose, a caribou and a mtn goat with his and every arrow worked to perfection.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one ACC 3-49 that has passed through four whitetails.
I retired it to the trophy case this last season.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
FMJ period.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FMJ's are very nice, but using muzzy's the ends get flared out when the broadhead pushes back against the shaft. There is a small radius on the broadhead that does not fit inside the shaft. ACC's are the inverse of FMJ's with the carbon on the outside. Also a first rate shaft. I use Beman ICS hunters because hunting is about the only time I loose arrows. Seems like they always shoot through and get lost or if they stay in the animal, it rolls over and breaks my arrow. They shoot good enough that I have to use a 5 spot target to 50 yards to keep from cutting up the other arrows in the target. Good enough and 1/2 the price. In archery it is usually not the bow or arrows that are the problem.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.