-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A double room at Afton will cost you about $170.00 USD. Africa Sky was a little less when I checked last May.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For what it's worth, my buddy and I stayed at the Hotel Mercure in nearby Randburg, when we were in SA in 2009. I can't remember what we paid, by my recollection is that it was in the neighborhood of $100 per night per room, which we considered a tremendous bargain. The Mercure has a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport, for the roughly half-hour drive to the hotel.

The Mercure is a nice hotel and is located across the street from a large mall, the "Brightwater Commons," with several good restaurants. I wouldn't hestitate to stay at the Mercure Randburg again.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
IIRC, Africa Sky was around $130usd last April

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We have used the Afton Guest House since 1995. They are wonderful and accommodating people. Their rooms are around $170.00 for a couple. This includes pick up and return to the airport, (about a ten minute ride,) and a full breakfast.
They are also great about helping out with lost luggage etc.
Here is a link to their site
http://www.aftonguesthouse.com/?item=3139&MenuID=2190

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I always find this topic kinda interesting since it comes up for the planning stages on a couple of African forums every year.

I'm always surprised the SA outfitters don't speak up more on where to stay and such.

I've stayed 4 nights in Johannesberg on different legs of trips, each time in a guest house arrangement.I've never used Gracy and have had zero luck with Afton; them never seeming to have a room availible, even once in the shoulder season; calling many months out. I tried each time to see what the fuss was about, and maybe meet some other hunters. I always figured they held rooms for Gracy and gave up on them.

There are MANY guess houses around the airport; its seems, to me anyway, that it is a very common accomodation there. They all can pick you up at the airport; all come with English breakfast; help with bags etc. All the "decent" ratings wise run about $75-120/night(average quality,not high end) and the cheaper ones charge about $40 for airport pickup (return included). Some have dinner on site, others have set arrangements with free transport to a few restaurants of your choosing.

I tried all different ones and they were all just about the same.....just booked them on-line. If they were helpful and easy to get hold of; what else can I want? I did e-mails and then one follow-up phone call to make sure they were prompt if I had an issue later and needed to get a hold of someone(never did).

Kempton Park area has a boat load of them just a few minutes from the airport. I stayed in one that was almost all airline folks on layover. I used Doves Nest;Airport Lodge;Sunny Rock; and don't remember the 4th off hand.

Here's a list of about 30;
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g312579-c2-Kempton_Park_Gauteng-Hotels.html

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I must say had to use Aiport lodge for clients of ours during the world cup and I will never take clients there again. It was a last minute deal all the others were fully booked looked good from the outside but for what they paid and loosing the clients payment that he made with his card from the US he had to pay them again before leaving ??????

I like African Sky very much very clean and hunter friendly. Afton is just overbooked sometimes.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by dinsdale
I always find this topic kinda interesting since it comes up for the planning stages on a couple of African forums every year.

I'm always surprised the SA outfitters don't speak up more on where to stay and such.

I've stayed 4 nights in Johannesberg on different legs of trips, each time in a guest house arrangement.I've never used Gracy and have had zero luck with Afton; them never seeming to have a room availible, even once in the shoulder season; calling many months out. I tried each time to see what the fuss was about, and maybe meet some other hunters. I always figured they held rooms for Gracy and gave up on them.

There are MANY guess houses around the airport; its seems, to me anyway, that it is a very common accomodation there. They all can pick you up at the airport; all come with English breakfast; help with bags etc. All the "decent" ratings wise run about $75-120/night(average quality,not high end) and the cheaper ones charge about $40 for airport pickup (return included). Some have dinner on site, others have set arrangements with free transport to a few restaurants of your choosing.

I tried all different ones and they were all just about the same.....just booked them on-line. If they were helpful and easy to get hold of; what else can I want? I did e-mails and then one follow-up phone call to make sure they were prompt if I had an issue later and needed to get a hold of someone(never did).

Kempton Park area has a boat load of them just a few minutes from the airport. I stayed in one that was almost all airline folks on layover. I used Doves Nest;Airport Lodge;Sunny Rock; and don't remember the 4th off hand.

Here's a list of about 30;
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g312579-c2-Kempton_Park_Gauteng-Hotels.html

One of the benefits of African Sky or the Afton House is that they are very accustomed to accommodating hunters. If you were to have a problem with the process of importing your firearm they can sometimes be of great help.
As you mentioned earlier these locations host a lot of hunters and it's a great opportunity to share a few drinks with fellow hunters and meet some new friends.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MD,
Sorry, was not thinking of you but of another writer who is known for African hunting and making DVD's and being a celeb at SCI. Again not intended to refer to you. Funny I don't think of you as anything like this other fellow.

Last edited by RinB; 01/13/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Writers can vary, just like lawyers!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JB,
The only thing that I have been given for free is a bad time.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I stayed at African Sky this spring while overnighting in route to Victoria Falls. Nice people,secure,handy to airport,good food. Gracy did my booking.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When my mate and I transited Joburg on the way to Namibia in September 2010, we stayed here, http://www.chamonixguestlodge.com/.

Very comfortable place to stay the hosts were very helpful. Price was good also, I'd happily stay there again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.