Print Thread
Hop To
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
What is the best aftermarket trigger for a Ruger Hawkeye?

HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jstall

I installed a SpecTech adjustable trigger in my Hawkeye and am more than happy with the result. Cost is about $80.00. The installation is simple and takes about 15 minutes. Adjustment is easy. The trigger breaks crisp and consistent at whatever weight it is set at. IMO it was 80 bucks well spent.

Any Ruger rifles in my future will be so equipped soon after acquisition.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, I haven't heard of them, but will give them a try. Sounds like just what I'm looking for.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks, I haven't heard of them, but will give them a try. Sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Yep, they are worth your time to check out.

I had to remove just a tiny bit of metal from mine to allow the safety to operate smoothly (I mean just a touch with a dremel tool and a polishing wheel), not very much at all. They include directions for doing this. After that everything fit and operated perfectly. They say "some minor gunsmithing may be required" or something to that effect. I think that is just CYA on their part. Anyone with the skill to sharpen a knife can do the installation with no problem.

I'd rate the SpecTech right up there with the best (and more expensive) when it comes to performance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
why not just clean up the factory trigger first and see if you can't save some $$?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My buddy had someone "clean up" the factory trigger, now it will fire if you put the gun on safe and pull the trigger, then take it off safe, it fires.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cleaning up and firing when taken off safety are way apart from each other.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that your buddy needs a new trigger would not stop me from tuning mine. Do a little surfing, and one will find that those Ruger triggers are easily worked. If you can handle velcro, you can likely handle the job. I've only done two of mine, and I'm extremely happy with them. The only cost was a little bit of time. It's job one should slowly progress through by reassembling and giving things a try until one reaches his desired goal. I'd not try to work one up with just a single pass.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/13/11.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
why not just clean up the factory trigger first and see if you can't save some $$?

The Ruger LC6 trigger isnt too bad just as it comes from the factory, it just isnt up to what I expect in a trigger. If you can make it any better by messing with it you are better than me. It pretty much is what it is...... use it unaltered or replace it. Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Anybody in the market for an unused LC6 ?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Have Ruger give you another trigger of their own make, and when you send the gun to them ask them to adjust it to a specific pull weight.

All aftermarket Ruger triggers are defeating the rugged simplicity of the original and are a degradation of the design parameters.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Have Ruger give you another trigger of their own make, and when you send the gun to them ask them to adjust it to a specific pull weight.

All aftermarket Ruger triggers are defeating the rugged simplicity of the original and are a degradation of the design parameters.

When my adjustable aftermarket trigger on my Hawkeye fails due to a lack of rugged simplicity I will be back to continue this discourse. Your point on the original Ruger triggers being rugged and reliable is well taken and very true. I could have lived quite happily without an adjustable trigger.

J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My buddy just ordered the SpecTech trigger, should be here next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Anybody in the market for an unused LC6 ?

yes as a matter of fact i am.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just put a new spring on mine and it is very nice now. Springs are available through Ernie the gunsmith.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
My buddy had someone "clean up" the factory trigger, now it will fire if you put the gun on safe and pull the trigger, then take it off safe, it fires.
damn! that's scary.............Hillbilly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prm
I just put a new spring on mine and it is very nice now. Springs are available through Ernie the gunsmith.

Yup! I did the same thing with mine. Went from about 5 lbs. to a little over 3 lbs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prm

+1 the lighter spring helps quite a bit.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had my gunsmith adjust it the good old way - and got it down to around 3lb - just perfect for my Hawkeye in 270W.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would say the best after market trigger for the Hawkeye is the SpecTech, I have one in my .300 RCM. The adjustment works fine. Mine was 1.5# when installed, and I set it up to 2.5# to match my other hunting triggers

My .375 Ruger African has a smoothed LC06 trigger, which is very nice.

The LC06 designation is for Light and Crisp 2006 by the way.
My versions were about 6# when new, and they smoothed up with bolt and safety operation (I would do that while watching TV). After a bit they measured in the 4s for pull weight. You can go with that, or SpecTech or smoothing.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.