Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's the thrill of the chase... not the kill...as you get older its the thrill of someone else's thrill and then comes a point where priorities kick in and we become young again(in our minds)and just want to have fun plain and simple...doesn't matter if it's pulling the trigger on a trophy buck or sitting at camp playing cards with the boys or watching TV and cooking for the camp....Seems some where down the line a lot of hunters forgets why we are supposed to be doing what we are doing...for enjoyment and to have FUN

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The posts above pretty much, in the aggragate,sum up how I feel about it at 60......I am still driven to go,and hunt because I enjoy it so much.But I am focused on having "fun".

But I guess my attitude is one of being a lot more "relaxed" about it.....I am much more patient and somewhat indifferent to whether I kill one or not. This year hunting in Wyoming with two companions, I was more concerned with seeing them succeed,and I did not even load my rifle the first two days...

The funny thing is,after struggling to get on a good buck the last few times years, I have managed to kill two good one's the last two years......maybe the key is to relax,take it slow, be patient and hunt with your head......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
At 29 I'm already in the "fun" stage; I won't hunt with guys who absolutely have to get a buck.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
" The last 2 years, I have noticed that I'm not hunting as hard as I had in the past. I tend to pass on great spots that are hard to get to."

Comes to most all of us JM. Just wait until you hit the stage where you look at a shootable deer and think, you know if I shoot that deer then I got to get it out someway. And then I got to dress it by my self. Then I got to take care of the meat by my self. Hell, it just ain't worth the trouble today. laugh

I have been like that for a while now. grin

BCR

I think the same way everytime I see something that is shootable ...It better be a nice one or the trigger doesn't get pulled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by corelokt
I wouldn't mind the getting back there a-ways so much as the dragging something back.

+1 I once shot a nice buck about 400 yards down at the bottom of a cliff I was sitting on. Took all day for me to find my way down and then another day to get back up with that buck. Unless I'm starving, or it's a record book, that won't happen again. smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm careful to hunt uphill from camp, stay out all day and come on down after dark. Maybe sliding a nice cow downhill with me .
The uphill climb once a day for me.
I need to soak up the silence more than make a kill so I prefer hunting alone, nice and quiet.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Maybe we begin to realise 'deer camp' is a state of mind and being with good friends is the important part.

O

Too old to suffer fools
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thankfully we haven't discussed turkey as I'm still obsessed with them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes and no. I am "only" 52, but have hunted with dad since I was 5. I hunt harder than ever and work harder in the off season getting things ready. But I seldom shoot any deer as I have my family that likes to hunt. And I really enjoy watching them having fun and learning to hunt. I won't shoot an immature buck and haven't on purpose in a long time. Notice I didn't say I was a trophy hunter. I just get little satisfaction from killing the young, rut crazed bucks. If an old buck comes out, I don't care if it has 3 points or 12, that is what excites me now. I will shoot does because we need to, but don't get excited about.
I am spoiled from our abundant deer here in TX and I know it.
I spend most of my powder on feral pigs. No season, no bag limit. And good eating.

I enjoy the camp more, and especially with good friends. But I also enjoy seeing the various wildlife species in S. TX and watching everything do their thing in my binocs.

stumpy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I like afternoon naps on sunny afternoons with my back against a tree trunk following a good cold morning of hunting. Its nice to go a couple years or so and not kill a big one, just some meat for the freezer, and be completely happy with that.

I had my heyday when I would carry in a sleeping bag and sleep up on the mountain so as to have the best chance at the bull of the woods. Now the camper and a cup of morning tea are just fine. Its even more fun now since my attitude has caught up with my age.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

BTDT, they can really really get to you. I learned you CAN call them OVER a fence, a game fence, a creek, a river and so on....got to the point of calling and shooting with a bow, and after that, they just don't do anything for me anymore.

You'll enjoy getting to my stage though FOR SURE.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thinking you're not older than I am nor have you killed a slam, nor are we they same. I'm also pretty damn certain I'll never be where you are and I'm grateful for it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

What is it about those damn turkeys? Last season, my then 12 year old son had one gobbling like crazy within 25 yards. He said he could not take it anymore, and about peed in in his pants. This is from a kid who has killed his share of deer and hogs, including a couple of bow kills.

My mouth was so dry (I was sitting behind him), that I could not use the mouth call anymore. Freaking good times right there!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am very near the point that all I prefer are Axis and nothing else. Quite an abundance of them in Texas. Otherwise I prefer to shoot at the range.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RWE
Hunting has always been my way to get in tune with nature. So much more now that the economic environment has rendered me a stay at home Dad, I find that spending time outdoors, even in crappy weather, gives me a sense of being able to participate more in God's great creation.

Frankly, I fear the time that I am no longer able to be the steward and caretaker of all that I have been entrusted. I will get into it as much as possible, as often as possible, just to make sure He still needs me here.

And it is hard, with two bad shoulder's, and dealing with the toll that I've taken on myself over the years, but its hard not to walk the fences and hills and subsequently give thanks for the opportunity, if nothing else.

Well said.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for writeing this John Moses. I thought I was the only one.2010 wasn't a good year for me 3 surgeries and a heart attack,so i missed most of dear season.I have been getting out for a little squirrel hunting though,and the little 22 single shot i bought for my grandson works great.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
John, you've described my evolution perfectly. Rather than our bodies slowing down, I suspect that it simply has taken us this long to discover the true essence of hunting is not killing a deer, but taking in the experience as a whole.

This fall, when we took my son with us for the first time with our group, I realized how we all looked forward to going to lunch at the same little restaurant that we've been having lunch on opening day for many years. That was almost as anticipated as actually getting a deer. The simple pleasures matter.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Guess we are all getting old, slowing down, and having a change of heart on what is important. But, darn hogs have moved in on my place and I have to get off it and do something. Hate it when that happens.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have been hunting the easy to get to spots lately, its just easier with work, family, etc...

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JPro
To be honest, I have just about as much fun going up to the camp and shooting as I do hunting, but I'd imagine that to be fairly common amongst gun nuts.

Shooting is my heart throb. Hunting is purely recreational, nothing more..

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.