Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How difficult is it to swap out the bolt handle on a Kimber Montana?
If I decide to swap it where can I buy one?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they are just screwed on and possibly secured with some loctight....may actually get around to swapping mine out with a titanium one i bought from a member here that made some this weekend.....other than the member i bought mine from im not sure where else you can buy one from....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, rattler

When you swap yours will you PM me and let me know how difficult it is to take it out and what tools you used?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
will do, the wife is out of town this weekend and left me to entertain myself....prolly get to it sometime Saturday grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Protect the knob with a thick piece of leather or equivalent padding, use pliers and lefty loosey, righty tighty. They are held with lock tight.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by battue
Protect the knob with a thick piece of leather or equivalent padding, use pliers and lefty loosey, righty tighty. They are held with lock tight.

Warm things up with a heat gun or *light* torch to work on the lock tite?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On mine I didn't have to.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Easy to change out. Schmalts made some nifty titanium replacements. PM him directly to see if he has any left...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Will I be able to walk up the mountain easier if I swap out the original bolt handle on my Montana for a lighter titanium one?

Couldnt I accomplish the same thing by carrying 200 grain loads in the rifle instead of 220s?

Maybe a lighter bolt cycles faster, giving me one extra shot at the rump of a disappearing bull in the timber. That extra shot should do the trick in a pinch.

This is Captain Obvious..... signing of.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Will I be able to walk up the mountain easier if I swap out the original bolt handle on my Montana for a lighter titanium one?

Couldnt I accomplish the same thing by carrying 200 grain loads in the rifle instead of 220s?

Maybe a lighter bolt cycles faster, giving me one extra shot at the rump of a disappearing bull in the timber. That extra shot should do the trick in a pinch.

where in the hell did i say logic had a damn thing to do with me swapping it out grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its the whole mindset....

I cut the handle off my toothbrush too...

Think big picture laugh Or you can pack 65 pounds of [bleep] on your back, instead of 50. I don't care.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually thats the way i think but seems alot of folks here cant understand why individuals cant just man up and carry a heavier rifle.....first time i handled one i knew i wanted one and exactly why i wanted one and was not gonna be happy with a heavier rifle.....if i had to swap out barrels or sacrifice chickens to get it to shoot i was gonna do it, turns out mine was plenty accurate out of the box grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once I got the money....

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/stocks/hunting

I'm thinking I'll drop it in a carbon fiber Summit. I ran into Bob at Sportsmans a few weeks back (he was picking up ski's) he thinks it'll be 9-10 Oz lighter than Kimbers stock.

Which brings me to this.....

Why do I pack a 6 pound 2 Oz rifle?
Because they don't make one that goes 4 Lbs 2 Oz laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lodgepole

and yes, i have one on each of my Kimbers

i diddn't think there were still people that needed "light" explained... an edge stock will cost you more $$ per ounce saved than the Ti bolt handle.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mine had locktite....

weights in grains

stainless
[Linked Image]

titanium
[Linked Image]

Titanium one on the bolt
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rattler
will do, the wife is out of town this weekend and left me to entertain myself....prolly get to it sometime Saturday grin

Time for a run to the titty bar.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Other than the cool factor or Ti, a healthy dump will shave off more weight. ;-)

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Other than the cool factor or Ti, a healthy dump will shave off more weight. ;-)

other than i dont carry that weight in my hands......a pound of weight in the pack doesnt mean alot.....a pound of weight carried in your hand all day is a hell of a difference....if your gonna strap your rifle to your pack shaving half ounces and ounces might not matter a whole lot for most but i want the rifle in my hands and off my shoulder as much as possible....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Once I got the money....

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/stocks/hunting

I'm thinking I'll drop it in a carbon fiber Summit. I ran into Bob at Sportsmans a few weeks back (he was picking up ski's) he thinks it'll be 9-10 Oz lighter than Kimbers stock.

I've had Bob restock four rifles (so far) with his Summit (one of them was the extra light carbon fiber) and I have been excedingly pleased each time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What happened to Loan Wolf Rifle Stocks?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.