Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#482017 05/02/05
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi guys. Now that I have been convinced that the Rav4 isn't the right vehicle for me, I have a question for those who own a new Tacoma. I'm looking at the Access Cab model and wondering how (un)comfortable are the back seats? I like the fact that the box is longer than with the 4-door, but I have one kid and will probably have another so I want to know that they can ride around back there without too much discomfort. A little builds character, but too much makes them grumpy for the trip! Any of you guys fold your frames into the back of these? Thanks...

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have - its a bit tight but I am a bit *ahem* thick. Depends on how big your kids are obviously. Adults can ride back there if they don't mind cooties ect but for kids - I dunno you know how they like to bug one another. Myself I have one son and he is 5 - I would have no prob with him back there -- With one - VERY doable but 2 might push it if they like to figt - too close and a whole lot of "hes touching me !! " type of stuff.

I guess it really depends on your kids.

The ride itself really is not too bad overall tho. My wife, son and I all drove 1600 miles in 1.5 days in my reg cab Taco. THAT was fun. And we have had 5 guys in an extra cab Ford ranger - I was the smallest at 200 lbs THAT was fun. I don't think you would have too much of a problem in the Taco. Best bet is to take the kids on the test drive - see how much room they have.

Good luck

Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks teal325. I only have the one son now (about 2 years old) so the fighting isn't an issue. (Yet!) If it is, I can always make them run in the ditch like I used to. Most of my trips will be 3-4 hours long, nothing like the 1600 miles your family did. That could be a little bit tough. I've looked at the GM Canyons and other mid-size trucks, but the Toyota holds it's value the best and just looks better in my opinion. By the way, in Canada you can't get a regular cab Tacoma anymore. Not exactly sure why...

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would say get the 4 door 'cause kids grow so fast. A little extra room never hurt when it comes to transporting kiddies.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 2005 Tacoma is basically the same size as the Tundra, so you would better of getting the Tundra because it has the V8 and still gets decent mileage. I am not sure why Toyota got rid of the "small" truck. I have a 1999 Tacoma and it is my third Toy truck (1986, 1990, 1999). All were awesome trucks. Pretty sad to see them go.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Did you know that for 2005 Toyota offers the standard length bed in a 4 door? Actually, I think they call it the 4 door long bed. I'm sure it will cost more but it might be worth looking at.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They only offer that in the U.S. Here in canada we can only get the extended cab (6 ft box) in 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, and the 4-door (5 ft box with manual, 6ft with auto. Go figure...) in 2 wheel and 4wheel drive. The 2.7 L 4 cyl is only offered in the 2 wheel drive extended cab. All others have the V6. The base 4 door models are about $8-10,000 more than the base extended cab models. I can't spring for that much $$, which is why I am looking at the extended cab. It never seems to fail that whatever you set your price limit too, the "perfect" vehicle is just a little bit more. Funny how that works.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sam,
I pick up my new 05 Tacoma this week in MN and will drive back to AK next week through Edmonton. It's replacing my 98 T100 [240K miles] as it is about the same size. The back seats are large enough for young folks especially with the access doors.
I too found the 4 door to be over priced.
BTW, was RCMP Sam Steele your kin folk?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
VernAK,
Your the first one to make a comment on the name. No relation, just a heroic character who did his job. I respect that.

Back to the truck. I think that I am going to take a test drive in one this week. I'll have to sell my car before I buy the truck, but hopefully it won't take too long. The back seat is my only concern, but I think that it would work.

What made you buy the truck in MN? Why not AK? I actually contemplated going stateside and buying the truck since there are more configurations available there. Not sure that it is worth the paperwork though.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sam,
Yes, your namesake was quite an old boy of the North. Tough and principled men in those days.

There are very few dealers in AK [1ANC, 1FBX] and they want $3-4,000 over MSRP. I bought under MSRP in MN. I priced in Canada but exchange rate isn't favorable for us at this time. It may be in your best interest to try USA.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I finally bought my dream truck which was an '04 Tacoma 4WD 4cylinder auto reg cab....and totaled it 10 payments later. Man that was a nice truck. Lucky no one was hurt and didn't get sued.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
VernAK,

I think that I should look into that. I guess a vehicle broker would be the way to go? I'm not sure if all the taxes and levies bringing it accross the border would be worth it. You guys do get a lot better selection though.

Buster,

Man that sucks! Did insurance cover you at least? They should be able to replace it with the same truck...hopefully.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sam,
For me to buy in Whitehorse, as many Alaskans do, there is not tax, levy or GST. I would think you would enjoy the same.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, I have done some more research on the Tacoma's and found that any with the V6 (which seems like the logical choice if I want to tow anything...) are supposed to use Premium gas. Now, I know that there will be guys that say "You spent all this money on a truck, feed her the best!" but the cut in mileage that I will be taking going from my 40 mpg car to this truck will hurt enough without having to use premium. I did some more looking around and found that the Nissan Frontier uses Regular. Any thoughts on this truck over the Tacoma? The Nissan looks a little bit cheaper than the Toyota. Both are reputable companies, so which truck is worth my hard earned $$?

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have never fed my tacoma anything other than regular unleaded for the 5 years and 85K miles I have owned it and it does not seem to mind. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
But does it say to feed it premium in the manual? I guess that the new V6's are supposed to (or so I have read...). I'm not sure about the older ones like yours. Also, the 4-cylinders don't. Maybe it is a new development by Toyota to try and get a little more HP or torque to compete with Nissan and Dodge for those numbers? I'm just guessing here...

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
IIRC the manual does call for a higher octane than the 85 I feed it. I beleive it calls for 90 or something like that. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok fittin 2 little tikes in the back of an Xcb Tacoma is no problem. My 10 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter have been ridin back there in mine for 3 yrs with no difficulties.

Premium gas is a necessary evil in the supercharged V6 Taco. But I'm fairly certain the in the non charged V6 any decent low to mid grade is AOK.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The insurance paid off pretty well, but I got laid off my factory job (of 7.5 years) a week later, so I just bought the old Dakota. Couldn't have afforded the Tacoma payment on the money I'm drawing now anyway.
I hope to get another one when I get back on my feet...

For what it's worth I believe the Nissan woulld be a solid choice. I feel like their engineering is as solid as Toyota. See plenty of old Nissans still rolling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My '97 Taco with a 4-banger has 147K on the ticker. I've used premium gas a few times during the heat of the summer. Bosch platinum +4 plugs solved the detonation problem better than expensive gas though. The factory plugs were overdue and almost burned up when I switched to the Bosch.
Oregon's gas quality is one of the worst in the nation. Roadtrips out of state usually yeilded better mpgs because the quality improved. A NWOR header also improved my mileage and gave a noticable increase in power. I only discovered this out of despiration when I had two factory manifolds crack. Still don't know how a simple piece of cast iron can cost so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,283
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.