Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Converse 6" desert boots. Spent 1 1/2 hrs. trying on different sizes. Settled on the 6" soft toe version. Found them at Gander Mtn., in Indy. I've been wearing them everyday, and they feel as good on my feet, as anything I've worn for the last 3 yrs.

http://www.uscav.com/ZoomImage.aspx?CatID=548&ImageURL=/prodinfo/enlarged/31543L.jpg

maddog

GB1

I
I
They look like winners. It's amazing when your feet meet the right shoe.

Best thoughts.
imlvt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The real deal with them ..is how soft is the sole?
Quiet is the key for stalking......

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They look just right maddog...but you may need those little seed guard gaiters( ask your PH) I forget what they call them..
I wore pants long enough to cover the tops of ankle highs and or ran a ring of duct tape around the tops...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
to me, the soles feel pretty soft. But most importantly, they feel good on my arthritic feet.

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like soft soles too, but we have encountered some thing like the sand spurs you find in Florida in some areas, and spent some time picking them out of soft soles with a pocketkinfe...still rather pick them out than crunch them with a hard sole on a sneak...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
They look just right maddog...but you may need those little seed guard gaiters( ask your PH) I forget what they call them..
I wore pants long enough to cover the tops of ankle highs and or ran a ring of duct tape around the tops...

I will be wearing pants long enough to go over the top of those boots. NO SHORTS! grin The ph said gaiters wouldn't be necessary.

maddog

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I bought a very similar pair from a company called Altama but mine are without the zipper and velcro. How have you adjusted to that,maddog?

Also, are they true to size?

Last edited by isaac; 01/15/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, can't really say about "true to size", the are an 11 1/2 med. width. I kinda like the zipper thingy, although before trying them on I didn't think I would. I've worn them everyday for the last 5 days, and my feet aren't as tired and burny, when I get home at night.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
maddog..that zipper idea on the side is skookum for todays travel through airports..Ive got a pair of desert boots made like that I use in dog training...just plain handy for security checks...

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Seems like petulant details to me!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got the special forces version of those which are higher on my "summer vacation" to the MidEast in 2005. The feel like running shoes, wear like iron, great boots.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by colorado; 01/15/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maddog
Converse 6" desert boots. Spent 1 1/2 hrs. trying on different sizes. Settled on the 6" soft toe version. Found them at Gander Mtn., in Indy. I've been wearing them everyday, and they feel as good on my feet, as anything I've worn for the last 3 yrs.

http://www.uscav.com/ZoomImage.aspx?CatID=548&ImageURL=/prodinfo/enlarged/31543L.jpg

maddog

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a second pair of a different type...

I would recommend a pair of smart leather chukka's that you can use primarily for travelling ect, but will do double duty as a hunting boot if the need should arise.

Prior to my first trip to RSA, I found a pair of traditional safari boots (made in Zim) styled after the Courteney safari boot. They were just what i was looking for and was surprised to find them on sale in the UK. I tried them on and wore them for a couple of weeks prior to leaving and they were fantatstically comfortable.

However, when I got to RSA and started to hunt in them, I hated them...The sole was too thin and not shaped correctly to support the arches in my feet and the leather uppers were simply too soft, and provided no support.

Luckily, just before I left, I'd spotted some cheap no-brand light weight Desert boots and bought them to travel in.

By one of those strange quirks, it turns out they were ideal, and I finished my hunt using them..

So on any important hunt, I am a firm believer in having a Plan B as far as footware goes. If your rifle or bino's stuff up, you'll probably be able to get a loaner off the PH, but if your boots go unserviceable, your pretty much buggered if you don't have an alternative...

Last edited by Pete E; 01/15/11.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Chuck, I like the 6" ones so much, that I'm thinking about getting an 8" pair, before spring. Then I need to throw out several prs. of old boots, that are pack ratted away in my closet. grin

maddog

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What would make you buy a 8" rather than another 6"? Will you use 6 or 8 for your hunt?

William Arthur Ward

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
isaac, may take both so I can put on fresh boots, every other day. But, the 8" pair might get used at home for work in the summer. I work with farmers, and do a lot of walking in corn and soybean fields. I figured I'd wear sneakers for the trip, and take 2 prs. of boots for the hunt. That is the only item I'm over packing on, because of my feet issues.

maddog

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks. I learn a great deal from the folks who've BTDT.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by isaac
Seems like petulant details to me!

You'd be well to notice these little things Bob..makes traveling through airports much easier on trips to Africa..... whistle

Oh, and BTW- theres a million and one other details yet to go over for trips to Africa...PM me if you happen to be up at night thinking about what they could be.....

grin grin

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think I've covered them all....two or 3 times. It beats studying 4th amendment cases.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

You'd be well to notice these little things Bob..makes traveling through airports much easier on trips to Africa..... whistle
grin grin

'Course, most of us don't find tying shoe laces very taxing or much of an ordeal but I appreciate it is difficult for some....just saying... whistle

Last edited by Pete E; 01/15/11.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (16penny, 338rcm, 1minute, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,571
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.